Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
DUHH
07/08/06 at 11:43:56

Embarrassed
file under learn by doing:
just turned 4k on my 06 bought 2 qts mobil 1 and had a k&n filter..this is the forth oil change ive done,let the stealer do one  think i got it now..hand book says lil over 2 qt capacity with filter change.2 was well more than enuf...heres what i did wrong..
first (warm engine) put bike up on homemade level lift
(plans on this site)  slid catch pan bottle under and removed drain plug..stopped drainig, removed oil filter cover WRONG #1 oil all over pipe and side of engine tho had rag stuffed on top of pipe(put bike back on side stand b4 removing cover) got that mess cleaned up then put bike on side stand and installed new filter..reinstalled drain plug WRONG#2 put bike back on level to drain remaing oil from left side of case then drain plug and new oil....just remind my in another 1k that i know how to do this the right way now!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

What is Re: DUHH
Reply #1 - 07/08/06 at 15:37:28

Shocked  What is wrong with your bike that you have to change the oil every 1,000 miles  ???

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: DUHH
Reply #2 - 07/08/06 at 15:46:03

Look at it this way -- if he misses an oil change it won't matter.

Advice I do not take:  Oil and filters are cheap -- clean oil is the best path to engine longivity.

What I find amusing is the use of the forum as a reminder as to what not to do on the next oil change.  Mainly because I use my blog for similar.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/08/06 at 16:24:23

bike is new want to get the longest life out of it i can..my car and truck hand books state 5k between oil changes i TRY to keep em aroun 3.5k therey both over ten years old and still running strong....read a post here somewhere the life of a oem savage oil  filter is 1500 miles my suzis hand book says evey 2k for oil and filter change..i live in the upper desert oil is the life blood, lube AND cooling ...95f plus days in the summer oil is cheap insurance shoot for 1k changes but if miss got leeway...part of what i did WRONG was fail to get more of the old oil out 1/3 of a qt or less depending on which part of the hand book you look at..so 1k next oil change..also i have a magnetic drain plug traps what the filter misses,more cheap insurance... Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/09/06 at 08:45:49

1500 miles is the rated service life of the miniature oil filters, be they Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha or Suzuki. Or Emgo, K&N, Hi-Power, Hi-Flow, etc aftermarket jobbies that are better made than the oem filters. I used to change the oil in the Savage once a year, and the filters seemed to hold up alright.

One of the local stealerships buys Emgo filters from me, and charges his customers for oem filters...mine are $3.95, he gets $14.95 a pop for them... Shocked
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #5 - 07/09/06 at 09:03:37

I change oil at 1500, oil and filter at 3000 miles(10-40SG). 1st I go for a 20 min ride. Then pull oil plug and let it sit on kick stand for an hour or so, occasionally sitting on it and holding it upright for a bit, let it keep on dripping out. When I finally pull the filter cover, it's usually bone dry up there.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:26:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DUHH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.