Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How much would you pay for a non-running Savage? (Read 5 times)
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
How much would you pay for a non-running Savage?
07/07/06 at 15:45:29

I found a 99 with 12K miles (the yellow one - yuck).

It appears cosmeticly good with new tires and battery.  The owner thinks it is an electrical problem - but who knows.

I did a lot of shop work to my last Savage.  I guess I could always part out this great bike on ebay if I can't get it running.

Owner wants $2K but I think that is a bit much.

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Re: How much would you pay for a non-running Savag
Reply #1 - 07/07/06 at 15:54:20

$2k is too much! I only paid $2350 for an 02 with under 3k miles and in excellent running condition.  I'd say $800 tops...

- Roadie

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #2 - 07/07/06 at 15:58:15

it seems high but does it just not start sound like it wants to turn over?? when I got mine would not start but I was able to jump the silnoid and start.ended up being the little box that mounts under the gas tank. anyway do not think I would pay more than 1500 good luck

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #3 - 07/07/06 at 17:11:33

HotFix wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I found a 99 with 12K miles (the yellow one - yuck).

It appears cosmeticly good with new tires and battery.  The owner thinks it is an electrical problem - but who knows.

I did a lot of shop work to my last Savage.  I guess I could always part out this great bike on ebay if I can't get it running.

Owner wants $2K but I think that is a bit much.

I think its a lot too much. Maybe $750 tops.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
HotFix
2004 No Login

2001 Savage

Metro Atlanta
Reply #4 - 07/07/06 at 17:18:06

Dragon King wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
iwhen I got mine would not start but I was able to jump the silnoid and start.ended up being the little box that mounts under the gas tank.

hum.  not sure what that means. :/

I assume the bike just doesn't want to turn over.  Not too much work to troubleshoot an electrical problem.  I'm just afraid  of buying a bike with other hidden problems since I didn't ride test it.

2008 Honda ST1300
2005 Honda VTX 1300 C (sold)
2001 Suzuki Savage (sold)
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 07/07/06 at 22:46:29

Tell him/her that you would give $500 for it if  no one else want it. It would be a great deal if it's an easyt fix and if not--you just bought $500 worth of spare parts Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 07/08/06 at 06:18:42

If you are hoping to get it running to ride it then $2000 is way too much to pay. You are buy a non-running bike which could have a totally trashed engine. Just because the owner thinks it has an electrical problem doesn't mean it does. Never mind the blue book value, it's a part bike unless it starts up. $500 is all it is worth in it's current condition. Just my .02 cents on it  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #7 - 07/08/06 at 06:24:12

ok  my bike would turn over but not start. if you take the tank off the bike and maybe this is only on the older bike's there is a little box that mounts there. replaced that bike started.

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #8 - 07/08/06 at 06:46:28

used parts are 1/2 price of new, yes? what is 1/2 price of blue book? we paid $1500 for debby's '96 running with 6700 miles needed front tire and tune up.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 07/08/06 at 06:59:12

You could alway ask the owner if you can tinker with it for an hour or so to see what might be wrong with the bike. Still wouldn't pay $2000 for it unless it starts up with only minor work.  Find out why he thinks it is an electrical problem, make sure the battery is fully charged, the Savage is known not to start with a weak battery. Put it in gear, push it and see if the engine turns over. Even try to push start it. Just a couple ideas, luck with it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #10 - 07/08/06 at 09:40:18

It is ridiculous even to talk about $2000.
This is not a running bike, so it is a mechanic's special.
Most probable it will be 1 day's work, but we are tallking about the risk factor. What if the bike starts and there is a nasty knock ?   Tell the owner to fix it and after that You will discuss the price or give him $1000 if the bike is in a good shape. Other wise just walk away and keep looking.  Most probable this will be a minor problem, but what if it is not? What if the owner knew about something serious and caused something that seems minor, so You can not test the bike /belive me , I have seen it and have paid the price/ ?

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/09/06 at 08:39:40

When I buy parts bikes, I pay 10 cents per cc. And I buy a LOT of parts bikes... The last one I bought with "incurable electrical problems"? An XS400J (micro Maxim)... I put it on prime and jumped it off. It's on the sales line as we speak.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:17:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How much would you pay for a non-running Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.