Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Riding on the highways (Read 9 times)
sstankus
Ex Member

Riding on the highways
07/05/06 at 11:41:21

Howdy everyone!  I bought my Savage about 1 month ago and really love it.  I've read others bashing it, but have found nothing to complain about yet.

Anyway, on to my question...and I hope I'm in the right place.  I'd like to lower the rpm's of the bike when I ride on the highway and was thinking about changing the rear pulley.  Does anyone have any other suggestions or has anyone done this?  It doesn't seem hard, but finding the pulley is a challenge.

Thanks and ride safe,

Scott

IP Logged
Al_ironman
Ex Member

Re: Riding on the highways
Reply #1 - 07/05/06 at 12:00:41

I suppose it can be done. It seems like sometime back I heard of someone changing (for whatever reason) the belt to a chain.
I don't think(in my own opinion) that you will see much of a significant change though. Why do you think the bike is turning too many RPMS? Do you think it's the bike or do you think it's just something that needs to be done?
lots of folks have ridden Savages for quiet long distances with just the stock belt and gearing. Mine, I never used to think was overly revved.
Is your bike a newer one or does it have the old 4 speed transmission?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 07/05/06 at 12:02:50

Welcome, you shouldn't see much savage bashing around here except for a couple of sour grapes.

your right it's easy to pull the pulleys but hard to find anything any different - there are some chain drive  conversions but no here has posted they have done it so far as I remember.

Might as well just open up the breathing, tune the carb, and let her spin.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/05/06 at 12:44:50

just turned 4k on my s40..been on the I state 75 mph posted, and hgwy 65 mph posted ,some spurts up to 85
never felt bike was  over reving..tho did notice some oil consumption after the 85 mph spurts.. if you do happen to fine different pullys and belt and the clearance is there ,front pully is the one to start at..1 tooth front = 3 tooth rear.. saw a post for a taller tire here somewhere
there are clearance issues going that route also..
good luck!! Smiley

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 07/05/06 at 19:16:07

sstankus wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
.  I'd like to lower the rpm's of the bike when I ride on the highway and was thinking about changing the rear pulley.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. The Savage is what it is. Let it rev, you won't hurt it. I have a 20 year old four gear and usually I cruise slowly with it, but today I was in a mood, and was at full throttle more than not this afternoon. Today I let out the shaft. (That's a golf term, but I use that expression when I am riding the nuts out of Black Betty.)   I was mostly on major freeways and the Savage didn't skip a beat. Not even when I ran over a rusty muffler  exhaust pipe combo at 140 kph (85mph) on the Lodge (A Freeway in Detroit). BTW I went by Tiger Stadium to say my goodbyes, but that's another story.
So sstankus, don't be afraid to let out the shaft.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 07/05/06 at 19:54:28

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

i did that once, was wearing a rain coat at the time.
Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 07/06/06 at 07:23:25

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
i did that once, was wearing a rain coat at the time.
Shocked

ShockedSO thats what you do behind the dumpster!!! Grin

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 07/06/06 at 11:10:55

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
ShockedSO thats what you do behind the dumpster!!! Grin

amoung other things.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
sstankus
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/06/06 at 17:19:47

Thanks everyone.  Glad to finally be back in the club after being off a bike for 20 years. Nothing's wrong with the bike. In fact, I got a steal!  an 01 with...get this...410 miles.  Followed the break-in recommendations.  I commute 26 or so miles each way to work and thought the change might help with fuel economy and by keeping the revs down, lengthen the life of the bike.  (She'll be my son's in about 5 years.)

IP Logged
loopedguru
YaBB Newbies

Trying to give up my
cage 1 mile at a
time

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #9 - 07/06/06 at 19:49:33

I've been on every freeway here except the lodge.  Rusty muffler...Nice!!  I've got to ride by the old staduim soon myself.

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I wouldn't worry too much about that. The Savage is what it is. Let it rev, you won't hurt it. I have a 20 year old four gear and usually I cruise slowly with it, but today I was in a mood, and was at full throttle more than not this afternoon. Today I let out the shaft. (That's a golf term, but I use that expression when I am riding the nuts out of Black Betty.)   I was mostly on major freeways and the Savage didn't skip a beat. Not even when I ran over a rusty muffler  exhaust pipe combo at 140 kph (85mph) on the Lodge (A Freeway in Detroit). BTW I went by Tiger Stadium to say my goodbyes, but that's another story.

98 LS650 Orange, 2001 miles and putting it on the road 6/26/06
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/06/06 at 22:38:27

I've had my '98 to 100+ mph many times. She'll hold up fine. Starts a slight headshaking at 80ish, settles down by 85 indicated. And keeps pulling strong.

Th Savage/S40 is a tough little scoot. I've run mine completely out of oil (once, at a rally, in MS, in July), refilled it, and it's still putting along.

Good luck finding non-stock spec pulleys. I've looked high and low, can't find them. Somewhere in Pokey's future is a chain drive conversion... I THINK you use EN500 sprockets or KZ400/440 sprockets.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 07/07/06 at 18:43:13

Can't get enough of those oil baths?  I would suggest avoiding the chain gang.The savage does legal speeds, if you really want more- I'd search for a larger bike.  SStankus, I just returned to riding after a 30 year break, it really makes the commute much more fun.  Enjoy yourself.  Actually, I was looking at the Bonnie but the chain drive put me off. They offer a belt conversion for the Bonie America, but that bike doesn't do it for me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:24:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding on the highways

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.