Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Runs Great in Warm Weather, Rich in Cool Weather! (Read 201 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Runs Great in Warm Weather, Rich in Cool Weather!
07/05/06 at 07:01:53

Hi everyone!  I've not posted in a while....been on the road a lot!

I wanted to get some suggestions before I tear into my Savage (my bike is in the signature block....stock jetting, BTW).

A few months ago, I started noticing that my Savage was beginning to run poorly in cool weather (anything below about 60 degrees F).  It would not idle.  I had to hold some throttle at stop lights just to keep the engine going and the engine would stutter.  From the smell of the exhaust, it seemed to be running rich.  At speed, it seemed to run fine.

Whenever the weather was warmer than about 75 degrees F, the bike would run and idle great.

A few weeks ago, I popped in a new plug (replacing the stock "8" NGK with a hotter "7").  The old plug was black, but not sooty.

I'd been riding the bike in warm weather after the plug swap and it was running great.

However, I rode it yesterday when the temperature was about 60 degrees F.  It was back to its old tricks, not idling and seemed to be running rich.

I suspect that the float valve may be sticky/dirty.  I'm puzzled, however, by the temperature dependence of the problem.

Any ideas?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Runs Great in Warm Weather, Rich in Cool Weath
Reply #1 - 07/05/06 at 10:10:49

Might also be a small leak starting in the pet-thingy's vacuum diaphram.  I'd check for gas in the vacuum line first cause it's the easiest thing to check.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 07/05/06 at 11:34:41

Serowbot,

Good idea!  It is always best to start simple on a machine that has been  running as good and is as well-maintained as mine is.

I just ran out to the garage and pulled the vacuum line on the petcock.  Detected a slight gas smell.

My next step is to test your supposition.  I will cap off both the vacuum line and the related fitting on the petcock, set the petcock to PRI, and run 'er for a while to see if the situation improves.

I will report back.

In case this is not it, are there any more ideas out there?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 07/05/06 at 13:16:24

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
A few months ago, I started noticing that my Savage was beginning to run poorly in cool weather (anything below about 60 degrees F).  It would not idle.  I had to hold some throttle at stop lights just to keep the engine going and the engine would stutter.  From the smell of the exhaust, it seemed to be running rich.

Your jetting will be leaner in cold weather. If your bike is stock (with stock jetting) you should be too lean in cold weather. Mine was until I rejetted it. It ran noticably rougher in cold weather.

This is at near sea level. If you're at high altitude your jetting will be richer.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 07/07/06 at 19:08:08

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Serowbot,

Good idea!  It is always best to start simple on a machine that has been  running as good and is as well-maintained as mine is.

I just ran out to the garage and pulled the vacuum line on the petcock.  Detected a slight gas smell.

My next step is to test your supposition.  I will cap off both the vacuum line and the related fitting on the petcock, set the petcock to PRI, and run 'er for a while to see if the situation improves.

I will report back.

In case this is not it, are there any more ideas out there?

As promised....

I performed the above steps and now my Savage is running good in all weather.

If this changes, I'll report back.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 07/07/06 at 19:09:54

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Your jetting will be leaner in cold weather. If your bike is stock (with stock jetting) you should be too lean in cold weather. Mine was until I rejetted it. It ran noticably rougher in cold weather.

This is at near sea level. If you're at high altitude your jetting will be richer.

Dyno,

I run stock jetting (which is known to be lean) because my neighborhood (in Colorado Springs, CO) is at 6500' above sea level.

BTW, my Savage runs better up here than it did in Houston, TX (30' above sea level).

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #6 - 07/07/06 at 19:32:40

floats. IMHO.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 01/07/07 at 20:38:25

All,

My Savage has run fine ever since I capped off the vacuum line (see above).  I suspect that the temperature dependence of the problem was due to the nature of the (presumed) leaky vacuum diaphragm in the petc0ck.  During cold weather, it just let more fuel run into the vacuum line and into the intake manifold.

SUGGESTION:  Anyone out there who is having a problem with their bike running rich should try this fix first.  It is easy and costs nothing.  If you determine that your problem was a bad petc0ck vacuum diaphagm, you have two choices:

1.  Cap off the vacuum line (as I did), or remove it altogether (capping off as required).  You'll have to run the bike in PRI.  You will not have RESERVE capability.  You'll need to remember to move the petc0ck to either ON or RES when you shut the engine off (or risk a leaky needle valve flooding the carb bowl, or worse).

2.  Pop for a new petc0ck assy ($50+ smacks):

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/fuel_thingy/fuel_thingy.cfm?man=su&gro...

Maybe someone else here knows if you can buy that vacuum diaphragm separately.

As for me, I went with option 1.  I'm an old school biker and still remember of the days of the old simple petc0cks....."shut 'em off if the motor is off!"

Sorry for the late post....IHTH someone!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #8 - 01/08/07 at 06:09:10

there is a very simple mod to convert the pethingy to a standard on/off/res manually operated type, a search should fetch the results. i think it is in the tech section.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
samlee1125
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/05/07 at 23:40:34

i have the same problem. it only runs in prime. if i replace the fuel thingy, does it solve the problem?
thanks

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 06/08/07 at 19:43:09

Sam,

I'm guessing you may have a different problem.  Your vacuum operated petc0ck may not be getting a vacuum.

Check the condition of the petc0ck vacuum line (the smaller of the two hoses connected to the petc0ck).

IHTH!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
samlee1125
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/08/07 at 20:40:10

i was riding today and
it stalled again and it turns out ran outta gas
so quick??
i just put 1.5 gal few days ago and didn't even ride more than 30 miles.
what could be a problem??

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #12 - 06/09/07 at 07:23:34

gas leaking past needle/seat, flooding carb, overflowing into crankcase, check your oil level.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/10/07 at 04:36:09

Hmmm, & I can just smell gas in that vac line. No matter how I try, I cant ever get my tongue wet with gas. I wonder if it would run different with the thing capped off.....Gonna have to give that a try.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 06/10/07 at 09:01:15

digger   im here on the other side of the hill in grand junction 4500' above sea level..my 06 acts differently in the wide temp swings we experience...if its above 40 (no ice on roads) im ridin..
am running # 60 pilot,mid clip on dyno needle,and a 141.3 main, 3" hard crome slash cut,k&n drop in and snorkel removed..did lancers quick and easy tune..
runs fine, some pops and crackles on quick de cell specially b4 full warm up..
3k later all is the same and the the plug reads fine..
adv bout 50 mpg in town with minor hwy runs..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:46:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Runs Great in Warm Weather, Rich in Cool Weather!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.