Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handlebar construction? (Read 3 times)
grabber_blue
YaBB Newbies

Surrey, BC
Handlebar construction?
07/04/06 at 18:24:26

Is anyone familiar with what's inside the S40 handlebars?  It looks like some sort of solid core.  Anyone know if it's removeable? I'd like to retrofit handlebar end weights from a C50 if possible!

Thanks!
Daniel

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Handlebar construction?
Reply #1 - 07/04/06 at 20:00:28

Those are welded in bar weights. I've swapped my bike to apehangers, with NO bar end weights or internal dampening (sand, birdshot, barsnake, etc). Trust me, you do not need the weights from a functional standpoint.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #2 - 07/05/06 at 13:10:14

I'm with WD on this one.  I swapped out for apes with no weights, and I can't say that I've noticed any real difference.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 07/05/06 at 15:15:08

i changed to drag bars with no weights, and have felt no difference.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/05/06 at 23:23:24

Yep.   Wink

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 07/06/06 at 07:48:49

Same here, no weights no difference.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 07/06/06 at 08:27:52

Hmmm, guess I wasted $5 and about 30 minutes (including the trip to Sprawl-Mart) filling mine with BBs and sealing it with epoxy.  Oh well...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #7 - 07/06/06 at 09:45:43

I have both a C50 and a Savage, and I'm fairly certain that it would be quite easy to switch out grips and ends.  I believe I saw one that someone else had done that to.

So if it's not making a difference in whether it's weighted or not, I wonder why Suzuki bothers?  Seems like they could save a little on productions costs that way, and possibly pass that on (ok, probably wouldn't happen, but we can dream, can't we?).  I dunno, maybe it's some obscure manufacturing law that all bikes sold new in the US have to have weighted handlebars or something.  Wouldn't be the first time a government has had something ridiculous like that...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
grabber_blue
YaBB Newbies

Surrey, BC
Reply #8 - 07/06/06 at 13:48:43

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I have both a C50 and a Savage, and I'm fairly certain that it would be quite easy to switch out grips and ends.  I believe I saw one that someone else had done that to.
I have both in my garage as well.  The S40 is my g/f's.  The C50 bar end weights need about 2" inside the end of the handlebar.  The weights inside the S40's bars are welded about 1/2" from the end.  I tried my C50 without the end weights and they do provide some vibration damping but even without the weights there's far less vibration than her S40 with it's welded-in weights.  I was thinking the C50 bar end weights might work better than the welded-in weights but I'm not so sure of that now...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 07/06/06 at 15:45:24

I test drove a C50 during bike week and noticed the lack of vibration in the handlebars, thought it was the V twin design. I know the C50 has a spring type weight in the handle bars cause the right handed weight kept falling out during the ride. Good old Suzuki quality control, the bike had maybe 600 miles on it Undecided. I really noticed my big thumper on the ride home, the vibration felt good, like a bike should. Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/06/06 at 22:23:27

The grips on my unweighted FLH bars on the Vulcan barely shimmy. The grips on the Savage pendulum 2-3 inches when the machine is idling, hands off the bar. Going down the road? Both sets of grips feel the same, a slight buzzing, nothing more, nothing less.

And the bar ends are there for looks first and foremost. The sets I sell at work are potmetal, people add them, and swear they work. Um, no they don't...they are a placebo. They are another "shiny trinket" to entice people into parting with their cash.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:20:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebar construction?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.