Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Runs, but stalls with added throttle. (Read 15 times)
Borgschulze
Ex Member

Re: Runs, but stalls with added throttle.
Reply #15 - 07/04/06 at 18:38:58

So I got the carb cleaner, and some square head screws to replace the crappy star heads.

Cleaned the carb out, but I think I should do it again.

It will still stall without the choke, but I can now open the throttle and rev it.

Should I rev the nuts out of it to clean it a bit more?

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #16 - 07/04/06 at 18:57:39

Borgschulze wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
So I got the carb cleaner, and some square head screws to replace the crappy star heads.

Cleaned the carb out, but I think I should do it again.

It will still stall without the choke, but I can now open the throttle and rev it.

Should I rev the nuts out of it to clean it a bit more?

carb soaks are 72 hours minimum. try again.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Borgschulze
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 07/04/06 at 19:01:22

Oh wow! I don't think anyone told me that...

This Carb cleaner is in a spray can, I didn't buy the wrong stuff did I?

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #18 - 07/04/06 at 19:20:27

Oh wow! I don't think anyone told me that...

This Carb cleaner is in a spray can, I didn't buy the wrong stuff did I?

Just my opinion but sitting for 4 years means removing the carb and jets and immersing it in a carb cleaner bath. This should follow a cleaning with compressed air. Spray cans will have little effect when a bike has sat that long. Welcome to being a mechanic on a single cylinder, single carb, single coil bike. Your worries are few, I know you will understand later.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Borgschulze
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 07/04/06 at 19:46:53

So I guess I should rip the carb off again, spray the cleaner into all the holes on the inside, and let it sit overnight?

I'm very determined to get this bike running properly, especially since I am going to be the one riding it.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #20 - 07/04/06 at 19:53:36

So I guess I should rip the carb off again, spray the cleaner into all the holes on the inside, and let it sit overnight?

I'm very determined to get this bike running properly, especially since I am going to be the one riding it.

carefully take the carb off. You need the rubber  boots on the carbs. If you can't bathe the carbs in cleaner then as many cleanings as you can muster over sveral days with

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #21 - 07/04/06 at 19:56:18

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
carefully take the carb off. You need the rubber  boots on the carbs. If you can't bathe the carbs in cleaner then as many cleanings as you can muster over sveral days with

of clearing the jet passageways with compressed air. If you can't do it on your own find a place and get it done. You won't be happy till thats done. Soory about the multiple posts. Shi*t happens.

IP Logged
Borgschulze
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 07/04/06 at 20:02:44

I can totally remove the carb from the rubber boots pretty easily.

Should I take it apart (Top, side, and bottom covers off) and fill up a jug or something big enough to put the carb in, and let it sit?

How much would it cost if I took it to a shop and got it cleaned, I know of a place where my father used to go before he started doing all his work himself, this place specializes in motorcycle repair and sales.

IP Logged
Borgschulze
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 07/05/06 at 15:59:55

The needle coming off of the slide says from what I can read, 15 16, there is a clamp type thing on the middle of 3 settings and it has 1 white spacer, if later I were to change the setting to fix the backfire, I would just move the clamp thing to a lower setting down the needle right?

I think I am already addicted to this bike... I haven't even ridden it yet and I want to tweak it, new exhaust, new signals, clean up the asthetics... it's so fun, moving me away from my already decked out computer addiction.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 07/05/06 at 16:34:15

an adjustable needle! - you bet you just move the c-clip up/down to rich'n/lean it

IP Logged
Borgschulze
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 07/05/06 at 16:49:24

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
an adjustable needle! - you bet you just move the c-clip up/down to rich'n/lean it

I guess not everyone has this?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #26 - 07/05/06 at 18:49:04

Should I take it apart (Top, side, and bottom covers off) and fill up a jug or something big enough to put the carb in, and let it sit?

Absolutely. Strip the carb entirely and put only the metal parts into a vat of real carb cleaner. This is the only way to get it truely clean. Rinse with water and blow dry with compressed air. It might be wise to take it to a shop. The carb cleaner isn't cheap (the Gunk I buy from the auto parts is > $25). If you don't have an air compressor you can't blow it dry.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #27 - 07/05/06 at 18:53:52

... if later I were to change the setting to fix the backfire, I would just move the clamp thing to a lower setting down the needle right?

You are correct. Moving the clip down raises the needle which makes the midrange richer. This is effectively the same thing as cutting down the spacer which you read so much about on these pages. Be sure to keep your white spacer in and move the clip down to richen the mixture.

Not all Savages have an adjustable needle - only the early models. The Dynojet jet kit comes with one as well.

IP Logged
Borgschulze
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 07/05/06 at 20:31:11

I think I might take the whole carb to the local bike shop and get him to clean it, I realize that this spray carb cleaner isn't really doing much...

Although it appears to be running much nicer, I think I should get it cleaned professionally, I don't have the tools to do this job.

If anyone is wondering, this is an 86' Savage if I haven't mentioned... the story behind it...

My father bought it for my mom about 10-12 years ago, from what I know, the "Harmonic Balancer" blew out of the front of the engine. My dad then apparently got a whole new engine for it, my mom only rode it a few times after that, then it sat for 4 years or so... so now my mom has given me the bike.

The bike currently has just over 29 thousand kilometers on it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 07/05/06 at 23:21:39

Ya'll are doing good, keep up the good work.

There are tiny passageways in the carb, and they are likely clogged, and that is  what is giving you the problems.  So soak it ... do the 3 day thing ...then blow out the holes with compressed air.  If no compressed then find something very small that will go through the passageways  ....CAREFULLY !!  We do not want any damage.  Then reassemble an test.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:28:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Runs, but stalls with added throttle.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.