Send Topic Print
this headlite thingy... (Read 19 times)
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Re: this headlite thingy...
Reply #30 - 03/14/07 at 08:36:00

I've been on a never-ending quest for the perfect headlight. Spent my hard-earned dollars on a lot of junk (Sylvania SilverStars for instance).

On my morning commute I ride about 12 miles down an old country road with woods on my left and a ditch on my right. Perfect conditions for wandering animals. I see the remains of many skunks and raccoons that didn't quite get out of the way fast enough. Once, I even saw a deer flash across the road about 50 yards in front of me. I need good frontal lighting.

The best I've found so far is a standard H4 halogen in a 90/100 wattage rating with a clear lens. It throws some serious light and seems to last a full season. It has two drawbacks. The life is shorter than standard 55/60 bulbs and sometimes the cagers think my high beam is on and don't dim theirs.

I also adjust my headlight so the low beam will light the road enough so I can safely run on low beam at about 55 mph. I gotta do this because I'm going opposite the normal commuter traffic and there's quite a few cars coming at me at o-dark-thirty. Can't run my high-beam all the time.

It's a compromise and my search for the perfect lighting continues.

Ken

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 03/14/07 at 10:49:03

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:05:25 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #32 - 03/14/07 at 21:52:23

Junk?
Were they the Sylvania light blue tinted ones. ???
Or the imported Osram transparent ones?  8)
Now we need some brand names too.

KenGLong wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I've been on a never-ending quest for the perfect headlight. Spent my hard-earned dollars on a lot of junk (Sylvania SilverStars for instance).

Have you ever had your headlight(s) go out like at 70mph about 2am 100 miles out of town? Not fun.

As we get older night vision is not as good.
I don't have a problem w/ running those high output, short life, EU Off-Road/Rally/Marked-Not for Highway Use/ bulbs, however I have had a cop turn around and give lecture on blinding oncoming traffic once.  Cheesy
At least you know they can see you!
I considered the higher watt/output bulbs and they are OK in a car, but compromising bulb life for output and w/ only one bulb might not be a good idea. I figured since the  Osram (not Sylvania) were prefered in multiple forums that was the way to go.

Quote:
The best I've found so far is a standard H4 halogen in a 90/100 wattage rating with a clear lens. It throws some serious light and seems to last a full season. It has two drawbacks. The life is shorter than standard 55/60 bulbs and sometimes the cagers think my high beam is on and don't dim theirs.

I also adjust my headlight so the low beam will light the road enough so I can safely run on low beam at about 55 mph. I gotta do this because I'm going opposite the normal commuter traffic and there's quite a few cars coming at me at o-dark-thirty. Can't run my high-beam all the time.
It's a compromise and my search for the perfect lighting continues.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #33 - 03/15/07 at 05:55:44

Personally, I want to keep the power at 55/60 watts since that's what the bike was designed to support and the charging system on this bike is not the most robust.  If that means I have to slow down to avoid outrunning my light, that's okay.  I would still take a SilverStar type pseudo-xenon over a standard halogen any day.  It is a noticeable improvement.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #34 - 03/15/07 at 06:17:29

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Junk?
Were they the Sylvania light blue tinted ones. ???
Or the imported Osram transparent ones?  8)
Now we need some brand names too.

I also heard good things about the Sylvania SilverStars so I paid my $25 and got one. I could see no improvement in frontal lighting at all compared to the stock lamp. That's when I got the 90/100 lamp. It cost a whopping $7.95. That's another clue to the true nature of headlight bulbs. The real stuff is priced normally, the smoke and mirrors stuff is priced outrageously...just like audiophile equipment.

There are only two ways to get more light from an H4 halogen bulb. You can focus the light beam so you don't waste light on the clouds or you can up the wattage. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

I did have a 90/100 go out on me on the way to work one morning as I was switching to high beam. I just switched back to low beam and kept on going then changed the bulb when I got to work.

Ken in Albuquerque

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #35 - 03/15/07 at 06:21:18

Dr_Jim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
One advantage to a light bar over a brighter headlight is that you can fine-tune the illumination pattern by carefully aiming the two external spots.

I have a bar on the workbench but I'm having trouble finding lights for it. The ones I want are hundreds of dollars but the ones I can afford are all junk.

Still looking...

Ken

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #36 - 03/15/07 at 06:50:56

Seems like the 55/60 xenons I bought were about $10 or $11 each.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #37 - 03/15/07 at 20:59:22

...IThere are only two ways to get more light from an H4 halogen bulb. You can focus the light beam so you don't waste light on the clouds or you can up the wattage. Everything else is smoke and mirrors....

Ken in Albuquerque

Ken,

There is another way to get more light out of any bulb. That is to insure that the wiring going to that bulb is large enough to carry the current with the minimum voltage drop.

I had a 83 Porsche 944.  It came with sealed Halogen beams. Pretty good at the time, but over the years I added Hella e-code reflector assemblies with seperate bulbs. This was an improvement. Then I bought a wiring harness  made with 00 gauge wire that had special grounds and supplied power through a relay directly from the alternator.  Those were the best lights I ever had on any vehicle until I got a car with HID lights.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #38 - 03/18/07 at 12:19:02

That would be the blue tinted ones like I have in my truck. The tint soaks up part of the output.
I got the transparent ones from eBay a guy mailed them from the UK.

Also, the bulb makers can get more light by changing the filament. They won't last as long, but you get a little more light or they can put in a little more filament and it will last longer.

I also heard good things about the Sylvania SilverStars so I paid my $25 and got one. I could see no improvement in frontal lighting at all compared to the stock lamp. That's when I got the 90/100 lamp. It cost a whopping $7.95. That's another clue to the true nature of headlight bulbs. The real stuff is priced normally, the smoke and mirrors stuff is priced outrageously...just like audiophile equipment.

There are only two ways to get more light from an H4 halogen bulb. You can focus the light beam so you don't waste light on the clouds or you can up the wattage. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

I did have a 90/100 go out on me on the way to work one morning as I was switching to high beam. I just switched back to low beam and kept on going then changed the bulb when I got to work.

Ken in Albuquerque

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:49:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › this headlite thingy...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.