Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Valve adjustments on a s40 (Read 192 times)
sgthigg
Ex Member

Valve adjustments on a s40
06/28/06 at 15:15:19

My bike is over due for the 1000 miles service.  It hasnt had the valves adjusted ever.  Im starting to feel a little bit of jerky ness from the motor at certain speeds. I have done everything except the valve adjustment.

I dont have the service manual.  But I want to do the valve adjustment my self, is there a link on this site to a good step by step of how to do this.

Thanks

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Valve adjustments on a s40
Reply #1 - 06/28/06 at 16:20:17

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/29/06 at 08:22:44

I tried adjusting my valves last night.  They, or at least one set, makes a boat load of noise.  

Using the screwdriver method described on Dan's page,  I found TDC (Top Dead Center) by watching where the haft of the screwdriver was at it's max height as I turned the flywheel in the direction the wheels turn.  I checked several times and called it TDC.

Popped off the valve covers.  Both rocker arms, were tight and there was no play.  I loosened the lock nuts (turn so they go up) and l I loosened the screws (up again).   Then I stuffed a 0.004" (I will call this a 4) feeler/tappet gauge in there and tightened the screws until there was some friction.  

Now there was some play in the rocker arms.  When I pressed them down, there was friction on a 0.003" gauge. When they were up the 0.005" gauge barely fit.  Called it good.  (The factory service manual calls for 0.003" to 0.005", while cold, I presume, and per Dan's page.)

I rode 1/4 mile before I freaked out and went home.  Lots of valve chatter.  

Gonna play with them tonight w/ a friend who knows his stuff on cars.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/29/06 at 08:35:56

And from this thread. I think I know what I did wrong!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I must have done it on the exhasut stroke! not the compression!

So now... see next thread: TDC: Exhaust vs Compression Stroke

IP Logged
savage2003
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/29/06 at 11:08:50

I have heard of an old saying,that says, if it's not broke don't fix it.  My savage is a 2003 and I have 15,891 miles on it and I have never adjusted the valves or tightened the heads on it! It runs and sounds the same as it did when it was new. So whenever I start noticing a different tappit sound I will then start thinking about adjusting them.  Good luck on getting them back the way they were. Undecided

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 06/29/06 at 12:28:24

Fix it 'till it's broke!

Yeah, pretty sure I'm just 180* out of phase.  Not a big deal... I think.  Will fix tonight.  Maybe take some pics and finally do a write up for everyone!  

Anyway, they did need it, I believe.  No valve noise at all is what I was hearing (wasn't) and you should hear some...

One poor SOB on the V*1100 forum put in some hot cams 180* out of phase and it looks like he fried the whoel top end.    :'(

IP Logged
Al_ironman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/29/06 at 13:16:30

I agree with Savage 2003. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/29/06 at 13:41:25

Fix it 'till it's broke!    Grin

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #8 - 07/01/06 at 19:55:45

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Fix it 'till it's broke!    Grin

That's what I say!  There's not a perfect running car or MC out there that I can't fix to the point of needing a good tow!

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #9 - 07/01/06 at 21:24:09

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
That's what I say!  There's not a perfect running car or MC out there that I can't fix to the point of needing a good tow!

I guess that qualifies you as a shady-tree mechanic  Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
sgthigg
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/06/06 at 00:37:22

Guess there is no step by step herewithout the manual.

Thanks though  Im not even sure if it needs  an adjustment.

How owuld I beable to tell.  It is a little jerky and alot of valve chatter around 18mph in first and 25 in 2nd.  Up from there the  bike runs good.

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #11 - 07/06/06 at 08:31:50

Good question - how do you know the valves really need adjusting other than following some ritual service interval?  Motors lose power when the valve adjustment is off as this changes valve timing.  Too loose (within limits) generally does no harm but too tight can risk burning the exhaust valve with loss of compression.  However there are many possible reasons for loss of power so this symptom has to be checked out systematically and not just assumed to be the sign for valve adjustment.

From what I've read on this site these motors seem to hold their adjustment for a long time, certainly longer than the 4,000 mi book interval after initial break in.  It's not sure if the valve clearance generally increases or decreases with time as it depends on various factors like mechanical wear on cams/rockers, pitting/erosion of valve face/seat and buildup of deposits.  So not sure there's a general rule on loosening / tightening.

If the adjustment is looser than spec you will hear a louder than normal ticking from the rocker cover area that increases or decreases in synchronization with engine rpm.  It is best heard at idle speed.  The issue now is to define "normal" as there is always some clatter from these motors, usually louder when hot.  One way is to compare to a known good motor.  If the valves are too tight the only clue without actual measurement is the general loss of power and harder starting.  

IP Logged
Al_ironman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/06/06 at 08:36:49

Bout the only thing i could add to that is: "if ya can hear um clicking, then they ain't burnin up!"
(that's a lil bit of suthern shade tree)

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 07/06/06 at 10:12:08

After I did my valve adjust correctly, I made a step by step guide for idiots in the tech sect.

OHCs and Rockers tend to loosen over time.

IP Logged
conchscooter
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/11/06 at 20:51:06

Order the Clymer manual and follow the proceedure step-by-step. One thing no one has mentioned is the automatic  decompressor for the exhaust  valve. If the decompressor doesn't have  3- 5  mm play and you adjust the valves anyway you may have trouble starting the motorcycle.
I check the valve clearances  every couple of oil changes and so far  nothing ha sworn enough to require  adjustments, though I find it reassuring to know rather than assume. I ride  1,000 miles per month, approx.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:27:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve adjustments on a s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.