Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Burning oil? (Read 7 times)
WKD
Ex Member

Burning oil?
06/26/06 at 15:57:24

As I stated before I am a newb with respect to bikes and I have no point of reference since this is my first bike.  I was wondering is it normal to have added almost a litre of oil after 1700 km (just over 1000 miles)?  The bike is 20 years old so it could be the age too I guess, but should I be worried about that? ???

Oh and I have had the bike for 3 months but only recently been putting some heavier mileage on it.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Burning oil?
Reply #1 - 06/26/06 at 16:10:45

That is quite a bit oil, but since you know it uses some it easy enough to check before you ride it and "top it off" to a bit above the top line on the sight glass. Might want to give 20w-50 a go as well.

how many miles does it have on it? although that's not really the heavy issue - how often was the oil changed in the past is more important.

If the the rings and cylinder are worn that much you most likely could use a new cam chain as well

IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/26/06 at 16:42:33

The bike has 39,000 km on it (or about 24,000 miles).  As for the regularity of maintenance I don't know that for sure.  I have been using 10w40 as per the shops suggestion.  You think 20w50 would be better?

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/26/06 at 16:59:46

I think the heavier weight of oil very well could slow your rate of consumption, unless the engine is just worn from abuse or there is an internal flaw in the engine.  I like to run a heavier weight of oil in hotter temperatures personally.

Not saying you're abusing the bike, but it could have had a difficult existence prior to your obtaining it.  Given the age of the bike, there could be any number of things causing the oil consumption.

IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/26/06 at 17:15:22

I am just hoping that I don't have any major issues with it this season, being a new rider I just want to ride...lots and then this winter tinker some with the bike making sure it is ready for next year Grin

I would think if it were something major I would see other symptoms, hard starting, rough running, poor power, but other than the common backfire when I stop it has been no problem whatsoever.  It never has a problem starting and to me it sounds pretty good running.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/26/06 at 17:17:33

Is it smoking out the muffler?  Or is it just "drinking" it up?

IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/26/06 at 17:20:58

It seems to be just drinking it up which confuses me, with a car it either comes out the tailpipe or ends up on the floor of the garage.  This just seems to disappear, but the exhaust is a nice golden hue which I am lead to believe that I have a good burn, not too lean not too rich.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 06/26/06 at 17:29:20

WKD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
As I stated before I am a newb with respect to bikes and I have no point of reference since this is my first bike.  I was wondering is it normal to have added almost a litre of oil after 1700 km (just over 1000 miles)?  The bike is 20 years old so it could be the age too I guess, but should I be worried about that? ???

Oh and I have had the bike for 3 months but only recently been putting some heavier mileage on it.

Just curious is it smoking or leaking? Do you have oil coming out of your exhaust? Thats almost half your oil capacity. I think you should do some investigating. PDQ.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/27/06 at 10:40:19

I wonder if your crankcase vent is plugged up.

IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/29/06 at 03:51:16

That would be too easy wouldn't it?  Is that something I can get to easily to check?  If you can reference it in the Clymer manual I happen to have one, it's not jumping of the page at me.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 06/29/06 at 04:15:23

there's a black soft tube that runs from the top right (starboard) of the engine back to air box on the left (port) side - if you take this off from air box and start it this should be puffing on the down strokes and sucking on the up strokes -  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/15/24 at 05:16:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Burning oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.