Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I have an excuse to put new parts on my bike! (Read 3 times)
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

I have an excuse to put new parts on my bike!
06/25/06 at 13:24:36

Yesterday coming home about 3 blocks from home something on the left catches my attention, turn head to look, turn back, accident in front of me and 3 cars have locked up there brakes, I am #4, lock up the brakes, gravel on road, go for a little slid, all in all no major issues, thanks to this experience I now get to buy new Leather Jacket, must replace Demin Jeans, did not hit head in slid, so no new lid, for the bike I now get to shop for new footpegs, signal lights, grips, clutch lever headlight bucket, and saddle bags. and a fresh paint job for the piglet.(dent in tank).  Worst part of the whole thing is I now have to re-convince the wife that the bike is still safe, and that stuff happens, as for me a few scrapes and contusions, but nothing broken so no biggie.  well at least I havn't learn anything from this as I drove the bike home and don't blame the bike (piglet) for my stupidity.

IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Re: I have an excuse to put new parts on my bike!
Reply #1 - 06/25/06 at 14:54:31

Sorry to hear about the mishap... glad you're alright.

WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #2 - 06/25/06 at 15:20:30

Glad to hear you came out of that ok.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #3 - 06/25/06 at 16:06:46

Did something similar last summer as I left the parking lot at work. It's a glorious excuse to get a whole new paintjob and start chopping, as that's just what I've been doing since the mishap.

Glad you're okay. Did you get any road rash? I have a scar about the size of a pepperoni on my left knee from that 25 mph drop.

Regards,
Banger
======

WWW   IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #4 - 06/25/06 at 16:22:20

both legs have assorted abrasions(did I spell that right), left elbow lost some skin, and a very sore left shoulder (last night), but that feels better already.  Have not gone to a doctor, and other that my left leg that still hurts when I stomp (lack of a better term) I feel pretty good all things considered.

IP Logged
GA_Wolf
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/26/06 at 07:20:28

Glad you came out with only minor bangups....wife got some road rash on her arm when she dumped my bike too..

But like I told her...We can always replace parts on the bike, but we can't always replace body parts!  The important thing is that you are overall o.k.!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 06/26/06 at 08:55:58

Glad your okay!  I bet you can do most/all fo the work yourself!  On the hlemet, though, you may still want to get it checked for microfractrures!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 06/26/06 at 10:08:56

Yep, it is a wonderful thing to be able to look at the good that can come out of an otherwise bad situation.  New parts are always fun and give the opportunity to make it look and run better.  You can even use this as one of the reasons to make the bike SAFER when discussing this whole thing with your significant other.  You say, "yes, there was a MINOR accident, and I was slightly injured, but having learned from this I intend to make the bike SAFER as I rebuild it this time."  You might consider upgrading brakes, suspension, horns, mirrors, tires, etc.... of course these extra parts are for the sole purpose of making it safer for you to ride and bring you home to you loved one.

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/26/06 at 10:50:33

Glad you're Ok and best of luck with your wife.

IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #9 - 06/26/06 at 12:56:55

"Chicks dig battle wounds"  

Tell your wife this is in the bible or something.

WWW   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/26/06 at 17:04:27

Glad to hear things weren't more serious than they were!

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #11 - 06/27/06 at 14:50:50

DaddySauce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
"Chicks dig battle wounds"  

A friend of mine named Luke had a similar saying.  "Scars add character.  Girls like character."  So that way you can say it came from the book of Luke, if you like.  

Glad to hear you're more or less ok!  I'm with Vroom through.  Check over the helmet carefully.  That's an important piece of equipment.  

And good outlook on it, seeing the good in it.  Some of us don't posses that sort of good outlook, I feel.  Keep it up!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #12 - 06/27/06 at 19:44:37

Thanks to all for the wishes of wellness and luck.  What should I be looking for in the helmet for cracks do they stick out or is it a web type look?  pretty sure head did not hit ground, but it would figure to be the only thing not hurt in a accident  would be the block of granite that I use to attach my helmet to myself. Grin

IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #13 - 06/27/06 at 20:04:25

After my accident I was advised to bring it in to a shop and have someone check it out who knows what they are looking for.  I knew the people there pretty well so I knew they weren't just gonna say "Ya it's broke, look, here's a new one for ya!".  

Little did I know, it was fractured underneath on the inside and the outside looked perfect.   Undecided

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 06/28/06 at 06:16:58

Depending on the helmet, the shell could flex in an impact and show little sign of damage... while the styrofoam interior (the part that absorbs most of any impact) may have been compressed.  Once compressed, it never expands back and its ability to absorb additional impact is hindered.  I may be wrong but I would think you'd at least see some sign of impact on the shell though.  I know mine only showed a very slight scratch but had sustained damage.  One difference though is that I knew when I went down that it had impacted with a fair amount of force on the left side, so I replaced the helmet to be sure.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I have an excuse to put new parts on my bike!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.