Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch lever assembly CRAPPY metal! (Read 4 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Clutch lever assembly CRAPPY metal!
06/25/06 at 10:24:54

Well, the past couple of days I've been picking at the buck-horn bars on my Savage ... rotating 'em up a little bit to give me a bit more reach in the hopes that if my elbows aren't "tucked in" so much when Riding I'll improve the overall handling ... successfully rotated the bars a bit higher, but had to rotate the mirror/clutch lever assembly back so that I could adjust the left mirror to see behind ... in the process of tightening the allen bolt which prevents the whole assembly from rotating, it stripped out due to the cheap, crappy "white metal" of the unit ... so, sweating a little and not wanting to spring the bucks for a whole new assembly, I scratched my head ... and broke out the drill and a 3/16th H.S. bit, drilled the hole all the way thru to the other side. I then slipped a longer bolt thru the hole and threaded a nut & washer on the bottom end ... adjusted the whole unit and tightened ... doesn't look pretty, but it seems to work ... why didn't Suzuki make the lever/mirror mount assemblys from steel instead of that soft, crappy white metal? ... would've been better quality and looks too ...  Roll Eyes

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Clutch lever assembly CRAPPY metal!
Reply #1 - 06/25/06 at 13:16:14

They made the mounts out of that cheap white metal so it breaks at the mirror mount when the bike falls over in the garage. Had it happen last year.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 06/25/06 at 16:14:28

Yup, that explains it I guess LOL!! Jeesuz, a few extra bucks for quality material wouldn't have broken the Suzuki Motor Corp. ...  Roll Eyes

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/25/06 at 18:15:11

Yep, most everything on the bike is cheap.  At least they managed to get the engine designed before they ran out of project money.

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #4 - 06/26/06 at 06:33:15

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Yep, most everything on the bike is cheap.  At least they managed to get the engine designed before they ran out of project money.

...except for that little rubber plug....

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 06/26/06 at 08:59:00

EVEN THE BOLTS THAT HOLD ON THE VALVE INSPECTION COVERS ARE CHEAP!  I found this out last nigth!  Angry  Got 'em out easy, though!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 07:16:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch lever assembly CRAPPY metal!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.