Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seat Pan "Duvette Cover" (Read 12 times)
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Seat Pan "Duvette Cover"
06/24/06 at 17:43:31

I've started a project today to enhance my seat.  I'm a cheapo so I've decided to make my own cover.  It's made out of marine vinyl and so far looks good.  I'm not sure how fancy I want to make it.  But if it works out I have a good template to make more or revise my design.  *Hint, hint*

I took some news print paper and traced the outline of the seat pan.  Then took a tape (thanks wife!) and measured our a an inch from the tracing.  (This is the seam allowance).  Then I traced the sides and did the same but then added a few inches.  The wider the saddle, the more comfortable it will be.  I then free handed out 3d the shape a bit.

Then I cut out the seat pan, sides, sewed them together.  (Wife sewed up the shapes I made).  

Next steps are to get my foam and cut it to shape, probably add 2 inches to get the overstuffed couch feel...  Then figure out a attachment system.  I'm leaning towards velcro straps because they are so adjustable.  That way if someone (me!) wants to put more or less foam in its adjustable.  I have to admit it looks good so far.  I might add some kind of fringe / studs, her machine will do a few nice designs and it will do simple lettering.  (Savage Thunder?  Big Single? Hmmm..)  

I have pictures of this process and am willing to post a how to if this works out.  I'm about half way done.  If it doesn't work, well I guess I'm out $7 and two hours of my time!

I might make more if it becomes tried and true.  (Few weeks of riding will tell..)

- Roadie

IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Re: Seat Pan "Duvette Cover"
Reply #1 - 06/24/06 at 19:08:59

Cool, I'd be interested in seeing the final product.  Be sure to post some pics.  I just spent an extravagant amount on the Soft Bottom gel butt pad but I figure... hey it's my butt Grin

Just got it so haven't really given it a good test but it does feel good.  Here is the link if anyone is interested.  Maybe you can incorporate it into another design Wink

http://www.geltechnology.com/

IP Logged
wild one
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/06 at 19:30:13

I to am a tight wad and modified my seat. First I added some 1/4"  thick material that was a camping sleeping pad for under a sleeping bag in a previous life. I removed most of the stapels holding the seat cover in place and fit the pad underneath, then refastened the cover. To my surprise it turned out pretty godd. You could never tell that the cover had been removed. Then just today I took an old fake lambs wool auto seat cover, the type that fit's over a car seat and is held in place by elasic straps, cut it to fit over the stock seat and held it in place with velcro on the seat pan. I haven't had a chance to test it on a long ride yet but it couldn't be any worse. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow if anyone's interested.

IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 06/26/06 at 13:37:51

I re-filled my seat with a gel insert.  It's pretty darn comfortable.  Still haven't done the passenger seat yet.  Looking for a way to modify it so it's a tad bit wider.

WWW   IP Logged
STLBrown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/26/06 at 14:07:12

Has anyone tried out a beaded seat cover?  If it works for cabbies why not a bike?

Chris

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 06/26/06 at 19:36:39

I posted a seat mod in progress a few weeks ago.  I started with a Corbin-Gentry seat for a 70's model Honda of some kind.  Took it apart and reshaped the metal pan for my bike, added some hard rubber pads mid and rear to support the weight and next is to locate the brackets to bolt it down.
One of the main reasons for me to redo the seat is because of the seat positioning.  The stock seat is positioined in a downward direction, making you slide toward the tank ... very umcomfortable.  That is why many riders do the little mod where they raise up the fromt of the seat.  A lot of newer bikes, custom bikes, etc, have the seat go up onto the tank a little way, with the seat cushion wraping around the tank a bit.  This helps prevent sliding forward and improves support and comfort.   I am hoping to have this done this next week, but we shall see.  So many things to do...

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #6 - 06/27/06 at 14:25:11

Well I've got it half way.  But I figured everyone would like a write up on it before I just posted some pictures.  It might be neat to make this thread a recovering seats thread.

I'd like to see ya'lls work.  Might give me some ideas if things don't work as I expected.

- Roadie

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 06/27/06 at 22:56:11

Okay, here's mine...
It is waterbuffalo leather over blue camping pad ensolite from Wallyweird.

An older shot, the seat hasn't changed at all...

Here's my Vulcan's new seat. I finished and installed it tonight...

I do these kind of projects all the time. I don't much like TV.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 06/28/06 at 06:42:30

Very nice!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #9 - 06/28/06 at 07:10:03

Very cool!   I like it too.   Good job.

WWW   IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #10 - 06/28/06 at 14:04:50

Excellent WD.  I'm afraid you're better at it than I am.  I'll finish my project this weekend.  Then the pictures should roll in.  The Vulcan seat is VERY good.

- Roadie  8)

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/28/06 at 19:11:54

awesome!

my you are a crafty crafty savage dude!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/28/06 at 20:37:20

I'm an Eagle Scout, Assistant Scoutmaster, Leatherwork Merit Badge counselor, and major leaguer cheapskate. I'm only into the seat $20 (maybe) for materials. I don't count my time, but, figure 24 hours of actual labor.

Not a big fan of television, have read anything of interest in the house at least 5 times. What else am I going to do with my time?
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/15/24 at 01:26:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat Pan "Duvette Cover"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!