Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb... (Read 1 times)
Veritas
Ex Member

Carb...
06/23/06 at 17:30:17

So I've ridden this bike almost 800 miles in the 2 weeks I've had it.  I pulled off the tank today, and I have two questions.

This is a brand new S40 for info's sake.

What do I do with the fuel line?  How do I stop it from spewing fuel everywhere?

And, why the hell do those screws in the top of the carb suck?  I used a good driver and couldnt get one to budge!  I guess I may have to go get an impact driver.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: Carb...
Reply #1 - 06/23/06 at 18:20:08

The fuel shouldn't be running if the petc0ck is in the run position. If it does there's a problem in there. The screws in the carb are really soft (as you found out) If you haven't stripped them already you may want to try fitting the correct screwdriver to the screws and then tapping the screwdriver firmly with a hammer to loosen them. Good Luck.

WWW   IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/23/06 at 18:28:46

Oh, I disconnected the fuel line and some fuel started dripping so I got paranoid and put it back on.  Was that just fuel left over in the hose?

No, I don't think I stripped the screw.  I'll have to try again after I get the tank all the way off.  I was balancing the tank on my knee while I was trying to take out the screws.

Then it started to downpour!  Had to throw the tank and seat back on as quick as possible before water started getting everywhere.  Luckily, the tank went back on real easy and i was able to get everything together with no problem.  I guess the S40 is easier than the Savage to take apart and put together, cause I didn't have a problem with the tank coming off and I didn't scratch the tank or the frame.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/23/06 at 20:09:27

the screws are soft and as tight as they are it wouldn't  suprise me if Mikuni used some type of loktite thread locker on them as well

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 06/27/06 at 04:48:56

Mikuni is so helpful, they used loktite urple;">and an impact driver to put those lovely screws in.   To show my appreciation I gently removed all of them and replaced them with s/s allen head screws.  
The funny thing is, on the new Mikuni VM carbs all of the screws are of good quality steel.  It is so obvious that the stock carbs are made with the soft screws so that when anyone tries to take them off  they screw up and have to take it to the dealership.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 15:13:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.