Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fuel mileage/back fire (Read 3 times)
ST1
Ex Member

fuel mileage/back fire
06/22/06 at 10:59:44

I recently bought an 02 Savage.  Everything on it is stock.  Im getting about 45 mpg.  Is that average on a stock bike?  Also I've got the backfire problem on decel that everyone else has.  I keep reading about the spacer mod, rejetting, and fuel/air mixture screw adjustment.  I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, so how hard would the spacer mod be for a novice.  Somethings got to give, the backfire is driving me nuts.
Thanks

IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Re: fuel mileage/back fire
Reply #1 - 06/22/06 at 11:15:20

45mpg is good.  I get a little more than that after intake/muff/carb mods.

As for the spacer mod, I had the DJ kit before I knew how to do it.  So personally, I can't tell you yay or nay, but after reading about it, you may want to be a little familiar with the parts of a carb first.  

Oh, and watch out... this bike gets addictive!!  You may not be able to leave the garage after you pull your first piece apart!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/22/06 at 13:45:50

I got the my local motorbike shop (where I bought my 05) to do the work, as I didn't have a clue. (rejet, spacer, desnorkel, K&N). Wasn't cheap but I could afford it.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #3 - 06/22/06 at 15:48:12

The spacer mod is way simple. If you can perform simple routine maintenance proceedures you can do the spacer mod.

Thread for the mod

Pics of the carb parts

The only things not pictured are the rubber diaphram and the slide.

The re-jet, and mix screw adjustment are easy as well.

The idea behind all of this is to richen the mix to eliminate the backfire and prolong engine life by lowering engine operating temps. The spacer affects the mid ranges of the carb. The pilot jet, the mix screw, and the main jet are seperate areas. These are changed to compensate for the lean condition created by exhaust and intake modifications.

WWW   IP Logged
blackiex
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/22/06 at 23:55:39

Dear Steelwolf,

Would these mods (giving more gas to the mixture) increase the fuel consumption radically? Mine does 60 mp(IMP)g, that is 50 mp(US)g... How would it change?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 06/23/06 at 04:55:25

blackiex wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Would these mods (giving more gas to the mixture) increase the fuel consumption radically? Mine does 60 mp(IMP)g, that is 50 mp(US)g... How would it change?

My bike has all the carb mods described here (1/2 spacer and bigger main jet) and a Supertrapp. My mileage was 52 last time I checked and I wasn't babying the throttle  Grin

IP Logged
taylorkh
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/23/06 at 05:50:18

My 2006 is stock with the addition of a Memphis Cruiser windshield of medium size.  I have averaged 58.3 MPG (US) over the first 900 miles.  The mileage has been increasing with each tankfull after the 600 mile service.  I did switch to synthetic oil at that point.

Mine will backfire if I snap the throttle shut and leave it that way for several seconds of decelleration.  I do not do that too often so I am not greatly concerned with the backfire.

Regards,

Ken

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/23/06 at 06:24:30

Hi-
My 95 is getting 49 mpg with some backfiring. So far only the idle screw has been messed with as far as I can tell. We're moving from an apartment to a real house soon; so I'll be able to break into the carb then.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #8 - 06/23/06 at 11:06:46

My 2006 gets 55-60 mpg all stock.  

Back-fires when I rev it up and then slow down really quickly without gearing down. Noticed that when I have a gear that matches the speed better I get less back-firing.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
bobtreat
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/23/06 at 14:36:21

I have K&N filter,Jardine pipe 155 main an 75 pilot jets
with the spacer shaved and my 04 thumper gets round 55 mpg.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #10 - 06/23/06 at 15:14:10

blackiex wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Dear Steelwolf,

Your fuel milage should only be affected slightly. After all of my mods I stil get an average of 54mpg. It will depend on your individual riding style, traffic, and geographic location. (relationship to sea level) All these factors will somewhat determin what mods are needed on your bike and what settings to use. Alot of the process is trial and error once the initial conversions are made. Tweaking is the fun part. The actual mods are just preliminary satisfaction. With a little time and patience you can get the results you are looking for.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 05:16:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fuel mileage/back fire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.