Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What helmet do you use? (Read 7 times)
luken

Mesa, az
What helmet do you use?
06/21/06 at 15:10:55

After reading the ben-thread, I was wondering what helmets you are all using.  I am gearing up to buy my first one and have been shopping around.  Prices seem to really vary.  Kawasaki dealer had some full helmets for like $80, suzuki had some up to $200.  Seems the norm is $120ish.  I have decided to go with the full (3/4 looks to martian marvin to me)

How much did you spend and what kind of helmet is it?

Any fancy paintwork??

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: What helmet do you use?
Reply #1 - 06/21/06 at 15:29:41

I have an HJC (~$180) and a SHOEI (~$260) FF.  I like the HJC better, even if it is a bit heavier, but the SHOEI is supposed to be better.  Also more pricey.  I tried on some Arai helemt that were pretty nice too.  Really liked the visor setup.  At any rate, I would not buy a helmet based on price.  It's your head, afterall.  That being said:

I believe it was "Motorcyclist" that did a really good expose on helmets a couple of months back.  They really pissed off some of their advertisers, esp for the big $$$ helmets.  The point was that soem of the "better" helmets were really not any better or not as good as some of the cheaper ones.   Shoot, they're really only rated for a 35 mph collision anyway.  Check your peripheral vision while its on, too.

As for paint...  I painted my HJC to match my savage.  Flat black, red stripe down the middle.  Then I added two big canine fangs.

Heck, what do I know?  I almost never wear a helmet (Dummy).

I also have 2 half shells I never wear.  Way to loud, and gotta tie 'em real tight for the highway.

One more suggestion for the FF:  make sure it comes with one of those little chin inserts.  It really helps in colder weather.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/21/06 at 15:29:46

Main helmet is a Bell Shorty, full face is a Nolan X901.  Got the Nolan on clearance thru www.denniskirk.com for $79.00, regularly $350.  The Bell Shorty, I picked up at my local stealership that happened to have a good price.

I also use a HJC open face on occasion, but I can't seem to get away from my new love for the Shorty!  Grin

No fancy graphics here for me, all black since I have a black bike.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/21/06 at 15:43:14

hjc ff flipup some where around $150-170 - but what I found was different manufc vary in size/fitment a great deal - good idea to try on the exact model before you buy it.

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/21/06 at 16:53:36

I got the scropion exo-700.

I wear glasses so it was important to be able to get them on thru the visor.

I have a heart shaped face with full cheeks, many of the helmets felt like they were squishing me too much and that over long periods would be uncomfortable.

the anti fogging and ventilation is very important to me.

the air flow is excellant! and the vent covers are not flimsy like others i looked at.

i went three times to try on helmets until i decided on the one I got.

the colors are mainly white with metallic grey and black, lots of pattern, It was important to me that people can see me/notice that I am there. and it seems to be working!

so far im very happy with it.......

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/21/06 at 17:32:09

an icon it is a  full face i love it it helps keep the bugs out my grill Grin
now even cheaper then i bought it

shawn

http://newenough.com/icon_helmet_alliance_rubatone_page.htm

IP Logged
wild one
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/21/06 at 17:46:41

I have a full face HJC with the tribal design. Very cool looking with the dark smoke face shield. I live in a state (Illinois) without any helmet laws so using it is optional but I've found I enjoy the warm cozy feeling of having it on especially when it's not ideal weather. As long as I'm moving the face shield stays clear but fogs up as soon as I come to a stop. It's also pretty hot once the temps get above 80 degrees. You can set the face shield to be partially open while riding which helps alot for the heat.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 06/21/06 at 17:47:40

I have a FF Shoei that was $500, but I got it for half price at a bike show. For the odd time I get to go off road I have a HJC CLX motocross helmet with Scott goggles.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #8 - 06/21/06 at 17:51:27

I picked up a replacement Bell helmet at wallyworld for $35 after my last helmet flew off my head in mid ride. I suspect a strap failure.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #9 - 06/21/06 at 18:03:01

I have the HJC 3/4 with flip-up visor and I really like it.  While I prefer the comfort and visibility of a 3/4, I am considering going back to a full face for added safety.

The HJC is the most expensive helmet I've owned ($100 from the dealership), even though it is probably only mid-grade.  But it is quite comfortable and fits me well so I will buy another one.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/21/06 at 18:03:24

I have an HJC CS12, a rather inexpensive helmet but passes DOT standards which I feel is important, at least you know that some rigor has been taken in the manufacturing process for safety.  I like the fit better than some of the others I tried and the only bad things (and the reason it is probably so cheap) is it is a little louder than others (from reviews I have read) and the ventilation could be better.  This is the first helmet and I figure the next I'll look more towards the comfort features like weight and ventilation.

Also another tip I was given was to look at a second visor in case 3 years down the road they don't make that model you can at least change your old scrathed visor.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #11 - 06/21/06 at 18:27:11

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I picked up a replacement Bell helmet at wallyworld for $35 after my last helmet flew off my head in mid ride. [glow=red,2,300]I suspect a strap failure [/glow].

Really? Are you sure?

ROFLMAO. Grin  Grin

I didn't know Wally world even sold helmets. Of course it dosen't surprise me. They sell everything else.

Half helmet for me please. FF for the cooler weather.

WWW   IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #12 - 06/21/06 at 18:40:59

I wear a HJC CL SP  matt black in color, if I did not want a removeable liner I would have picked up a HJC CL MAX Modular, both helmets are full face, I also have a Daytona skull cap, that I like to wear in the day time on just for fun rides, in the city.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #13 - 06/21/06 at 19:06:01

[quote author=steelwolf link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1150927855;start=0#11 date=06/21/06 at 18:27:11]

Really? Are you sure?

ROFLMAO. Grin  Grin

Yeah, I'm sure. I bought the last one from the stealership. It was a $150 helmet I bought 7 years ago. About 2 years ago hurricane Ivan tore the roof off my house and that helmet was one of the few items that did not end up in a dumster after 12 hours of hurricane force wind and rain. :'(  Nothing lasts forever.  Grin

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/21/06 at 19:41:28

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I picked up a replacement Bell helmet at wallyworld for $35 after my last helmet flew off my head in mid ride. I suspect a strap failure.

I have always favoured helmets with a D-ring connector on the strap over a clip.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 05:23:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What helmet do you use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.