Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
De-Snorkel? (Read 28 times)
badblu97
Ex Member

De-Snorkel?
06/21/06 at 09:57:36

Ok, I have searched, first of all, and I still cant find a "how to" or even a description of the "famed desnorkel." Could someone explain this to me? Thank you in advance....

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: De-Snorkel?
Reply #1 - 06/21/06 at 10:37:31

Well, there's this thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1118719528

and my post in this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1117191261

I have a couple of up close pics at: http://bikepics.com/members/vroom1776/97savage/

You may also want to search for posts by greg650.  He did a nicer job than me... but my bike is supposed to be kinda ratty.  Basically, pull off the battery box, gut the stock airbox and install.  

IP Logged
badblu97
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/21/06 at 11:54:35

THANK YOU!!!!! so all it is- is removing the stock airbox and fitting the right filter? thats exactly what I want to do, and i guess the filter is an rc1250? i have the stock 1997 savage, so i guess its a mikuni bs40? not sure, but help is greatly appreciated.....

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/21/06 at 12:19:16

Assuming it is the stock carb, yes, BS40, and the rc1250 will fit.  Like I said, there are cleaner methods than mine.  Some folks have also left the snorkel on and just doen a KN replacement filter and drilled holes in the airbox door.  If you want to keep the painted side panels, you need to keep the airbox as they bolt on.  I also belieive lancer has his pod on there and kept the battery box... not quite sure how.  My battery is completely exposed.  No problems (with that) in about 1 year.

Are you going to do the exhaust too?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/21/06 at 12:40:32

Actually, the above is for putting a pod air filter on your bike.  A snorkelectomy is the removal of the snorkel.  It's a rubber vent in the top of the airbox under the seat.  It restricts airflow.  This is kind of a moot point with a stock bike since it's jetted so lean but if you increase fuel flow and get a freerflowing exhaust, you'll probably want more air.  One way is to simply remove the snorkel.  I replaced the stock filter with a direct swap K&N filter that fits the airbox properly and then removed the snorkel.  I am quite pleased with it.  Removing the snorkel is as simple as removing the seat and pulling the snorkel out with a pair of pliers.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 06/21/06 at 12:40:51

BLAH!  SR, I was just wondering this... okay.  Now I get it. Duh.

also see this thread.  It may end up clearing up "snorkelectomy."

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
badblu97
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/21/06 at 13:11:24

thank you to all for your help, i have already take off and left off the plastic door to the air box, then replaced the sheet metal, and that helped. I really want to do the cone filter swap, exhaust, and re-jet the carb, but im not sure how to do the carb thing but Ill figure out how i guess......

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/21/06 at 13:27:51

What "carb thing"?  The whole deal?  Yeah, we try to help.  I seem to confuse as often as not.  Maybe I should jsut keep my keboard (mouth) shut.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 06/21/06 at 13:44:05

Try reading the carb related threads in the Tech Ref forum, especially Carbs 101 and Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 06/21/06 at 14:23:51

until you do the carb thing you'd be far better off to put the air box door back on and leave the snorkel where it is. The engine already runs very lean and these changes will make it more so - it needs more gas before you give more air.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 06/22/06 at 05:48:43

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
until you do the carb thing you'd be far better off to put the air box door back on and leave the snorkel where it is. The engine already runs very lean and these changes will make it more so - it needs more gas before you give more air.

Agreed.  I think I mentioned that the snorkelectomy would do no good with a stock bike and opening up the airbox in any other way (cover removal, drilling holes, etc.) accomplishes the same thing as it adds the potential for greater airflow.  Whether the stock exhaust will permit greater flow is still questionable but it would make a lean condition worse if it did.

Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 06/22/06 at 05:56:44

Just another point for thought...

The main reason I chose the direct-swap K&N and snorkelectomy over a pod K&N was that I felt it offered the increase in airflow I wanted but still offered a bit more protection from water and additional debris being sucked into the filter.  It's already been mentioned that a K&N filter will allow more particulate matter through than a paper filter.  I felt that the increased exposure of the pod didn't offer me any significant improvement in performance.  For those who've placed a pod in the airbox, that may be much the same.  For me, the main reason I might one day switch to a pod filter would be the appearance (I think it looks sharp) and the ability to use the airbox's space for something else.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 13:20:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › De-Snorkel?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.