Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Melted Electrical System (Read 4 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Melted Electrical System
06/20/06 at 09:12:19

So there's a reason my little doo-dad guy off on the right says "S4B: I'm an idiot"

This weekend the proof was I let my best friend Jes convince me to give her a ride on my savage.  Many of you know that I don't really have a seat or suspension.  Well, we were doing fine until this one bump.  Smashed the tail light and shorted the electrical system.  I got nothing now but a charged battery.

So, I checked the battery,  12.5V, plenty of juice there.  Nothing on the darn bike works.  No headlight, no neutral light... nada.  I have not checked the fuses yet, but the wiring diagram shows them protecting the starter motor or relay, NOT THE DARN RECTIFIER OR IGNITOR!

So, looking at the wiring diagram, and based ont he fact that the neutral light is out and wired into one of the hot rectifier leads,  I am going to guess that my rectifier is melted.  for starters.  Gonna yank it tonight and test it.  Gonna yank the ignitor and bring it down to the Suz. dealership and have them test it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks gang!

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Re: Melted Electrical System
Reply #1 - 06/20/06 at 09:18:24

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/20/06 at 09:25:08

thanks dk.  Bid on that and another rectifier.  Just hoep I don't need an ignitor.

V

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/20/06 at 12:39:05

Check the main fuss!  Undecided

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 06/20/06 at 14:13:23

Keith_B wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
  Check the main fuss!  Undecided

hopfulyy its the fuses..insure you repair all nicks and cut in the wires insulation..good luck!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
short round
2005 No Login

mid Missouri
Reply #5 - 06/20/06 at 22:09:19

Certainly check the fuses first. Start with the simple and work forward. On mine, a connector under the tank came loose (half in half out) and when I hit a bump it would die and blow a fuse. Put in a fuse and it was fine till I hit another bump. I just pushed the connector all the way in and it was fixed. Only problem was I dented my tank when I dropped it taking it off!!! It's always something. Hope this helps and it's just a fuse or loose connector.

Ron
South Central Missouri
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #6 - 06/21/06 at 00:31:24

i've found a melted wire too...

I've replaced it but the bike doesen't start again, i suppose that the guilty is the starter relay!

'cause doesen't switch on\off

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/21/06 at 09:10:25

one fuse popped, but the rectifier is definitely dead.  I've got one coming from ebay.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #8 - 06/21/06 at 09:12:24

A pinched tai light wire WILL NOT melt the entire wiring unless You have been messing with it and it is "modified".
Unplug the connector of the Ign  Switch and check do You have power in the RED wire of the w. harness. If there is  power , plug back the ign. switch and turn it ON- check for power in the O and O/B wires. If Yes, the dash bord should light up and the horn should work.
If there is no power in the R wire that feeds the ign. switch- FUSE. This is most probable cause of Your problem.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 06/21/06 at 10:44:07

Slavy,

yeah, tried that. no good.  Both hot leads of the of the bulb were shorted to the ground, not just one.  Popped one 20A fuse.  popped the rectifier.

Electrical mods:  no horn, no turn signals, 6 amp spdt hi/low/off switch from radio shack.  no turn sig relay, no clutch interlock.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 06/22/06 at 10:53:17

Dummy says:

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Slavy,

yeah, tried that. no good.  Both hot leads of the of the bulb were shorted to the ground, not just one.  Popped one 20A fuse.  popped the rectifier.

Electrical mods:  no horn, no turn signals, 6 amp spdt hi/low/off switch from radio shack.  no turn sig relay, no clutch interlock.

Okay, Like I said: S4B: I'm an idiot.  Did not read the psot closely enough.  Also, $4 Multimeters are unsurprisingly garbage.  Rect seems to work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:19:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Melted Electrical System

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.