Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Randomly shuts off while riding? (Read 13 times)
Jezi

Randomly shuts off while riding?
06/19/06 at 11:20:25

got my first savage a couple months ago, looks pretty but needed to change the battery and clean the carb.

ran great, now it will die with no notice while riding. engine just shuts off, seems like it might not be getting gas all the way through. have cleaned the carb twice, am trying to change the spark plug but have a feeling its something more.

any suggestions? many thanks!

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Re: Randomly shuts off while riding?
Reply #1 - 06/19/06 at 11:42:50

if the ignition just cuts out, I'd look to one of the switches - like the sidestand switch or clutch switch - being sticky.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #2 - 06/19/06 at 13:08:03

If it's any consolation, mine does the same thing, to at least some degree, and has done so for the last year or so.  It seems to happen in groups.  For a while I'll have problems with it suddenly stopping, and then I'll go a while with no problems at all, and then it'll stop a few times, and the no problems, etc.  

I'm inclined to think it's something electrical, like Mac said.  Of course, on mine at least, it hasn't proven to be so much of a hassle that I've taken it apart to figure out exactly what it is.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/19/06 at 13:16:11

When it shuts off does it chug a bit and blow black smoke, does it start right back up after it dies?

Just some other ideas, since you cleaned the carb guess that means you've had the seat off - there's a number of connections under it and doesn't hurt to make sure they're solid connects. Another place had a bit of a problem with was the two push connects on the coil - after working in the area it was pretty easy to work these lose.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 06/19/06 at 16:38:22

Next time you are out riding check where you left foot is on the peg. I was hitting the kick stand with the heel of my foot and moving it just enough to engage the safety switch.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/19/06 at 19:48:52

Another possibility is a kink in the vacuum hose, the one that goes from the petc0ck to the right side of the carb. Last year I tore mine at the end, trimmed it back an inch & rode a few miles. It sputtered & died. Started it up a few minutes later, rode awhile, same thing. Saw the kink in the shortened hose, ordered a new one & it worked fine.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/20/06 at 04:13:58

Mine will also die on me.  Most times while I’m doing 60 – 65.  It just starts decelerating like it’s lost spark or fuel, then it’ll backfire and start going again.  It hasn’t actually come to a complete stop yet.  If it were a cage I’d suspect an ignition module.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 06/20/06 at 06:42:11

Ed has a good point above.  I've heard of the sidestand interlock causing this before.  I don't remember if the cause was the sidestand being kicked while riding or if the switch was loose but it's worth checking all major interlocks and connectors if if feels electrical in any way.  The only time I had anything even similar happen to me, it was simply running out of fuel and switching to reserve got me going just fine.  That said, fuel and vacuum lines should be a quick check too (also mentioned above).  I really like having a clear plastic in-line fuel filter.  It is always an easy and fast visual check to see if fuel is flowing.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 06/20/06 at 07:27:51

I was over at the stealership and watched the service crew try to troubleshoot a bad kickstand switch. Every time the rider would shift gears the bike shut off. The mechanics ended up pounding on the little metal tab welded on the kickstand that hits the switch so it pushed on it more. I was waiting for the tab to break off from all the beating that they did to it. Monkeys with hammers are dangerous.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 06/21/06 at 05:43:59

Additional to the suggestions made above: check and clean the connector of the little negative wire behind the LH sidepanel.

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 23:29:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Randomly shuts off while riding?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.