Send Topic Print
My carburetor adventures (Read 7 times)
Aviler

American Rebel
Dragon Pirate

McPherson, KS
My carburetor adventures
06/18/06 at 14:49:50

Well, I attempted to adjust my idle mixture a couple days ago. Found the brass plug, no problem, tiny hole already in it, used a screw (two, actually, because I managed to pop the head off the first one before it got a good bite on the plug) and a pair of vise-grips, came out with a little bit of effort, but not too difficult. Then I...screwed up. Either I used too much force trying to get the screw to back out, or, possibly I drove the plug pulling screw too far in and damaged the mixture screw Sad. Anyway, initially thought that maybe if I turned it in it would loosen it up. So, now my idle mixture screw is 0 turns out so my low end lacks oomph, and I need to get a screw extractor and a replacement screw or need to find some other solution to remove and replace damaged screw.

So, now that you've heard the story, a few questions. How badly could I screw the carb up if I screw up with the screw extractor? If the answer is "horribly" or worse, would I be better off trying to replace the entire carb, or just any damaged parts? Am I being too paranoid? Smiley

'96 maroon, 1.625
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: My carburetor adventures
Reply #1 - 06/18/06 at 15:23:41

It can be done. I took mine out with a "backwards" drill bit. Reverse drill bit? I can't recall the actual name for it. Some use an Easy Out. I made the mistake of putting Locktite threadlock in the pilot screw, thinking it might vibrate out of adjustment. (if it ain't broke....) I later decided to readjust it. Tongue I got it out & broke the aluminum housing off around the screw. I JB Welded (the glue) it back in place, adjusted the screw where I wanted it & works fine. Yours should be easier without the threadlock.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 06/18/06 at 22:00:21

It can be accomplish as Babbalou said but you have to take your time in doing it and go in slowly. Just remember that you are working with soft metals so work slowly and carefully. Good luck dude. Oh remember to [glow=red,2,300]center punch the screw [/glow] before drilling

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Aviler

American Rebel
Dragon Pirate

McPherson, KS
Reply #3 - 06/19/06 at 08:56:42

Yeah, I think impatience got me to this point in the first place, so I will make every effort to do this as carefully as I can Smiley.  Thanks.

'96 maroon, 1.625
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 11:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My carburetor adventures

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.