steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
O rings
06/18/06 at 13:33:28

Anyone got any idea what the large o-ring on the oil filter cover will run me at the stealership? In the process of changing the oil today either I pinched it putting the cover back on or it tore when I pulled it off and I didn't notice. It was stuck to the crankcase when I pulled off the oil filter cover. I have gotten the leak down to just a drop or two per mile but that isn't gonna cut it. I want it fixed, so off to the Suzuki place in the morning.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: O-Sh!t rings
Reply #1 - 06/18/06 at 17:17:14

I think you mean P/N 09280-72001, which is $2.39 at Ronayers.com.  Dealer price would be a little higher, probably less than $5, anyway.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 06/18/06 at 21:51:28

Well I order 6 filters and two big o-ring and two small o-ring s from Ronayers.com. I figured the o-ring will last up to 3 oil changes and save myself shipping charge if I order them like that plus pay no sale tax Grin Yes, I am a cheapo Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #3 - 06/20/06 at 06:22:21

I was wondering about that.  I almost ordered O rings from them yesterday then I thought.... now wait a minute.  $ 2.49 per O ring but $ 8.00 shipping.  I went down to the dealership and got 2 for $ 7.22. (Tax Included in that price.)   I just changed the oil and don't need a filter for a while.  When I changed the oil (for the first time  :  )   was when I sliced through the old O ring.  

How long should an oil filter O ring last?

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/20/06 at 06:53:02

I bought a couple of spare o-rings when I first bought the bike but am still using the set that was on the bike then.  I just inspect them at each oil change and am ready to replace them if needed.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/20/06 at 09:04:35

Quote:
How long should an oil filter O ring last?

I have been using the same set for 2 years and roughly 11,000 miles.  No leaks, but will change them soon.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #6 - 06/20/06 at 14:01:14

Oh yea I forgot to post the cost @ the dealer

O-ring=$2.39 (same as online only no S&H)

Filter=$6.49 (a little higher than online but not high enough to offset shipping charges)

WWW   IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #7 - 06/21/06 at 12:47:43

I've always had a rule of thumb with these type of O-rings... wipe the ring dry after removing cover, then re-oil the ring.   I have seen where people remove the ring and "clean" the ring without re-oiling it after replacing it, then next time they pull it off it has small cracks in it.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 06/21/06 at 12:55:29

DaddySauce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I've always had a rule of thumb with these type of O-rings... wipe the ring dry after removing cover, then re-oil the ring.   I have seen where people remove the ring and "clean" the ring without re-oiling it after replacing it, then next time they pull it off it has small cracks in it.

Yup, just like the gasket/seal on the oil filter of the first Chevy 283 I changed the oil on... wipe some fresh oil on it before installing it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 21:22:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › O rings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.