PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
S-40 vs Savage
06/18/06 at 02:34:02

8) Morning everyone! As some of you know, I own & Ride a 2003 Savage ... yesterday a neighbours friend dropped by (we were all getting ready to go on a Poker Run!) with a brand new 2005 (it was a left-over) white S-40 ... seeing the 2 Bikes parked side-by-side, I could tell that Suzuki had really improved the overall look of the LS650 with the S-40 variant ... well, after complimenting the lady on her beautiful new Bike, she hands me the key and says, "try 'er out!" ... so I did ... and had a chance to compare it to my stock Savage.
Night and day as far as handling is concerned ... the drag bar set-up of the S-40 makes it much more "flickable" than the Savage with it's buckhorns ... totally amazing! I also rode behind the S-40 during the Poker Run and I must say it looks real clean from behind goin' down the road!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
jbird
Ex Member

Re: S-40 vs Savage
Reply #1 - 06/18/06 at 06:39:17

yea i prefer to ride behind the ladies and enjoy the fine lines and action

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 06/18/06 at 07:00:29

How about the seat? Did it feel anymore comfortable? Like you might be able to ride further without getting monkey butt. I really want to try out an older Savage, both the 4 and 5 speeds, just to see the differences. I seen a Savage in town yesterday (first I'd seen in these parts) and wanted to chase him down, but was already on another mission to see my parents who were leaving for a vacation in Portugal.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 06/18/06 at 15:30:53

In total agreement about the handlebars. One of the first mods done to my '02 was getting rid of the stock buckhorn bars and installing sportster/clubman bars. Was thinking about drag bars with risers but went to a slow curved style instead.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 06/18/06 at 22:36:05

the best thing about bobbing thumper was i was able to adjust all the measurments for my body size.  worth the effort.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/18/06 at 23:24:23

And now you need to fly out here and try the opposite extreme, 14 inch rise bars, cut down seat, sub-300 pounds (wet weight). Just say the word, I'll throw a trip permit on it. I'll keep Chindii (Evil Spirit {literally translates as post-death malevolence in Navajo} my Vulcan 800A) in third so you can keep up... Shocked Pokey (the Savage) may be quick, but Chindii will do the ton and change in third, with 2 gears to go.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 06/19/06 at 06:13:27

8) Would love to be able to take you up on that offer WD ... but, my "financial statement" is prohibitive of me flying to the opposite side of the continent anytime soon!
Yes, the S40's stock one-piece saddle is more comfortable than the Savage's stock 2-piece.

Will be looking for a set of bars/risers similar to the S40's for install on my Savage over the coming off-season ... can anyone provide stats ... width, rise, pullback, riser spacing, etc.?

Danke!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #7 - 06/19/06 at 08:14:08

Can the S40 one-piece seat be fitted to the Savage with relative ease?

I'm already looking into the drag-style bars from the S40 because it works out much better for a taller rider (and I'm 6'3"!). But that seat looks really good, too, Much cleaner look than the two-piece, and that's sorta what I'm going for with ol' Zook. I'm making her a "sleeper," if you will. Little chrome, low-lustre black paint, etc. The one-piece seat would add to that look quite nicely, I'd think.

And if it's more comfortable to boot, that's just an added bonus.  Grin

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 06/19/06 at 09:00:24

Yes, the S40's one-piece seat will fit the Savage ... the only mod (and it's a "slight" one ...) is that a small screw hole will have to be drilled in the top of the Savage's rear fender ... a 5 min. job at best.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 06/19/06 at 11:32:01

I just removed the tab from the seat rather than drill the fender.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #10 - 06/20/06 at 04:50:59

Cool, thanks for that info.

I'm finding that the more I learn about what will fit on Zook, the less money I seem to have!

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #11 - 06/20/06 at 15:18:51

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
In total agreement about the handlebars. One of the first mods done to my '02 was getting rid of the stock buckhorn bars and installing sportster/clubman bars....

Do you have any pics of those?

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/23/06 at 14:26:10

I would like to eliminate the rear seat all together
"..Eliminate the Rear Seat..."
and get rid of the sissy bar. I pulled the rear seat and found all sorts of junk that would have to be re-routed and the fender is all lumpy-goofy anyway. Has anyone gotten around the lumpy fender and how?

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #13 - 06/23/06 at 14:45:28

something like this

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL