Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil question (Read 5 times)
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Oil question
06/17/06 at 13:51:27

Just curious all... after an oil and filter change, how often in terms of kilometers or miles do you find yourself having to top up the engine oil?

Seems the source of knocking in my engine was due to no oil in the crank case. See this thread for reference... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I was completely shocked since the shop had just changed my oil and filter. They tried to tell me the oil leaked out but that's crap because the engine is spotless... as is my garage floor where the bike sits. And the engine burns clean. Even if it didn't and blue smoke was pouring out the exhaust (which it isn't) it would still take some time to use up a crank full of oil.

D**m I wished I'd checked the oil after they did the change. Lesson learned.... never trust anyone except yourself. Looks like I'll most likely be spending some time in small claims court now although the bike shop hasn't yet come out and flat-out denied any responsiblity yet. It's just what I am expecting. Double crap!!!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Oil question
Reply #1 - 06/17/06 at 16:22:14

On the low mile '02 (not even 2k on it yet) it's 0 oil use in the last 1000 miles - the '95 with >20k miles will use about 2 or 3 oz per 500 miles of 20w-50 vtwin mobil 1, sometimes a little more if it's really hot and I've had some long higher speed rides.  

keep a little wood block in the garage that placed under the kick stand will level the bike and check the sight glass almost every time before I fire it up - that and the tire pressure, glance around for any leaks and such

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #2 - 06/17/06 at 17:12:45

If you had no oil, right after the shop changed the oil, I would guess that they forgot to put oil in after they changed the filter.

Hope your engine didn't sustain any damage from all of this.  

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 06/17/06 at 19:25:19

Hope your engine didn't damaged, yours is one more story about a dealership screwing up a oil change. Can't trust the dealerships, bunch of monkeys with hammers work there. My '02 has little if any oil use even on superslabs highways. Luck on taking them to court, put the screws to them!

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/17/06 at 20:11:02

I don't think I've ever had to add oil between changes. Sounds like they forgot to put the oil in or the drain plug in.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/17/06 at 23:43:14

I have almost 400 miles on my bike since last oil and filter change and mine has not used any oil in these last two rides.  One of the rides was on the super slab at high speeds.  I think someone forgot to put oil in your bike since you found no oil on the floor and the engine is clean. 8)

IP Logged
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/18/06 at 03:28:31

I got hold of the previous owner of the bike last night and asked him how often he had to add oil between changes. He told me he never had to add oil. The manual called out to change about every 6,000 km's or 12 months but he said he changed it more often. Usually about every 3 to 4 months.

Now I am convinced that the shop failed to put any oil in it. I was doubting myself there for a bit but now there's no question in my mind.

I guess I'll have to see what the damage is to the engine but it wasn't sounding too good. Heck of a knock. Should find out Monday or Tuesday. Man, I loved that bike. It wasn't big but it had a big heart. Be a shame to have it written off especially since there was only 10,000 km when I bought it less than a month ago.

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals!!!

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 06/18/06 at 12:41:59

If You had just a little less oil , it could be either a shop's  mistake /they put less oil/ , either the bike might burn some oil.
If there was NO OIL or almost no oil- definitely shop's mistake. If the buke is burning so much oil, there will be smoke behind You and the fender and the tire will be smocked. If It is leaking oil- there will be always a small or big spot under.
The good news is the Savage has needle con. rod bearing, so it lasts a lot. The dammage /if any/  will be mainly to the cam and to the rocker arms.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 06/18/06 at 15:22:52

Take a lot of pictures when you tear the engine down just in case you end up in court. Start now with pictures of the garage floor and lack of oil on the bike. Can't hurt, might help in the long run. Luck with it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/18/06 at 19:25:11

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Take a lot of pictures when you tear the engine down just in case you end up in court. Start now with pictures of the garage floor and lack of oil on the bike. Can't hurt, might help in the long run. Luck with it

Thanks for the good suggestions Ed. I'm a couple snap shots ahead of you. Took plenty of pictures of a nice, dry garage floor and a clean engine. Of course they could say I cleaned everything up. But at least I got pics that I know represent the truth.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 19:42:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.