Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
How fast do you think... (Read 289 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: How fast do you think...
Reply #90 - 07/20/06 at 08:08:23

'stat details at http://www.batinc.net/thermos.htm

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #91 - 07/20/06 at 08:42:06

Totally Cool! (Pardon the pun) That is perfect for what we're all intending to do! Good find, klx650sm2002!!!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #92 - 07/20/06 at 08:44:46

That seems like a really good idea... but... we'd have to have extra oil in the crank case to make sure that there is enough oil to the engine when some is in the cooler... but woould there be extra oil in the crank case until it heats up and the thermostat opens?  Or would there just be extra oil in the cooler?

A little pricey, but the push one ones are only $50.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #93 - 07/20/06 at 10:08:39

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I spent some time studying the cases yesterday and am confident of my statement.  They may have designed those plugs for a drain and test port, but if you connect them together with just a short line ... or a longer one with a cooler in between, there will be SOME FLOW  THROUGH THE LINE..  It may not be a lot of flow, but there will be some.  The oil is now flowing through the one passageway identified in the pic and if a second passageway is created then the oil will also flow through that as well.  It may only be 1/3 of what the first line flows, but it will flow.  There is no other way for it to go.  It will not be static, the oil will move on up into the filter through both doorways.  The oil pump has pressurized the oil just prior to the passageways and it will force the oil through both lines.  It will not back up and stop the flow to the second line because the oil will go up to the filter instead of down into the second line.
Sorry friend, no offense, but that is what will happen.

No offense.

I still disagree: 2 ports with the same pressure and diameter>>>> No flow.

As suggested earlier: the pressure pick-off plug and the other side of the cooler to the engine drain plug with proper adapter and a non return valve will do the trick.

Do we need a referee?

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #94 - 07/20/06 at 10:49:01

I agree with Lancer about a blocking plug for the "short horizontal passageway". With a 'stat you can run a big cooler (oil cooling like GSX-R's) without overcooling.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #95 - 07/20/06 at 12:06:43

Let's all referee, that way we can keep on doing this and having fun without interference.

As long as there is somewhere for the oil to go, ie ... up to the filter, the line to & from the cooler will not be static ... the oil will flow.  Seems like basic fluid dynamics to me, but I am not an engineer either.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #96 - 07/27/06 at 04:03:06

Question, Does the short passageway ringed in blue go through the the gasket face between the crankcase and the righthand sidecover. Thanks in advance.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #97 - 07/27/06 at 05:50:47

If I am understanding your wording correctly, then yes.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #98 - 07/27/06 at 16:14:04

I need to chime in on this again, I pulled the oil cover on my savage and took a long look. For what it is worth I think this will work. Plug the hole marked above the blue circle which runs oil into the cavity that the oil filter sits in. Replace the front plug with a hose fitting, there is a problem here with the size and threads, think it is a M14-1.75 but am not sure.  Drill and tap a hole for the oil return line in the side case somewhere above the stock oil filter, not a hard thing to do, it is only aluminium and there is a lot of meat to work with. With this setup the oil runs out the front plug hole thru the  aftermarket filter/cooler back into the fitting that was drilled and tapped in the top of the cavity that the stock oil filter sits in and returns to the engine thru the stock filter. Total flow thru the aftermarket cooler/filter and the stock filter acts as a secondary unit. I think this is the easiest way to hook up a total flow oil filter/cooler, just need to find a remote filter and lines that I like before trying it Undecided.  (Also need to work up the nerve to drill and tap the side cover and plug the oil hole) What do you think, worth a try next oil change?  

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
jhb478
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #99 - 07/30/06 at 13:52:21

[Haven't found one specifically for the Savage yet, but a machine shop is always an option.  I know I would like to go two fewer teeth on mine. [/quote]

I have made cogged pulleys for redrives on homebuilt aircraft and have considered doing the same for my Savage, would really like a comfortable cruise in the 70 mph range with a lower rpm and a tooth or two might do it,  I'll tool up to make duplicates if there is an interest  .   John

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #100 - 07/31/06 at 13:13:50

jhb478 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
[Haven't found one specifically for the Savage yet, but a machine shop is always an option.  I know I would like to go two fewer teeth on mine.I have made cogged pulleys for redrives on homebuilt aircraft and have considered doing the same for my Savage, would really like a comfortable cruise in the 70 mph range with a lower rpm and a tooth or two might do it,  I'll tool up to make duplicates if there is an interest  .   John

I'd be intressed, that's about what I want but  4 less on the rear is what I had in mind.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #101 - 07/31/06 at 14:17:19

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
What do you think, worth a try next oil change?  

Ed,

Don't melt/wreck your bike!  esp. if it's your only one!  If you are sure you can do it, and it will work properly, be our guinea pig!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #102 - 07/31/06 at 16:19:00

I'm sure it will work, just a matter of grabbing the family jewels, taking a deep breath and doing the drilling and tapping. The biggest glitch so far is Suzuki used a non standard thread on all the oil plugs where the lines are to hook up. Even took one of the plugs in to Daytona Hoses and Fittings to see if they could match it up. None of thier threaded templates were even close to what Suzuki used. The only way I can see to make it work is to turn one of the plugs into a hose fitting by drilling and brazing a short piece of tubing in it or rethread the holes in the crankcase to a different thread. Already picked up a real small transmission cooler and all the fittings needed from Auto Zone and am working on how to hang it off the bike. Need to grind down a bunch of welds first. One of the custom shops I stopped at had an old greyhair who suggested using a power steering cooler of a late model ford. He said that a buddy of his is using oneon a old school Flat Head and it works great. Kind of surprised he took the time out to talk to me, the guy looked like a couple million miles hard ridden. Need to do this a little at a time so's the old ball n chain doesn't get wind of it. Anytime I talk about changing the bike it is an automatic argument so need to plan well ahead. WTF, what she doesn't know won't hurt her. Wink
  Also think that Lancer's idea of putting a cooler on those two lines would work. You would get some flow thru it, sort of like putting two resistors in parallel in a electrical circuit, the flow would go thru both.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #103 - 08/01/06 at 04:58:42

That is a heck of a thing that Suzuki did with these bolt/plugs, , using a one off thread size like that.  Doesn't that just torque your rear wheel when they do something like that?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #104 - 08/01/06 at 15:32:05

Ed,

If you do this, maybe you should take pics... and make a tech. sect. article.

V

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:39:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How fast do you think...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.