Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
How fast do you think... (Read 289 times)
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Re: How fast do you think...
Reply #60 - 06/27/06 at 13:09:48

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Over on the GZ board, some of those guys have trouble hitting 70.

Come on, 70 still beats my 62!

Terrain: flat city concrete road. Size: average. Weight: average (OK, a little heavier than that). But the GZ is NOT a cockroach rocket like a Kawa Ninja, it IS a chopper/cruiser.

Oh never mind I will find out something... Nitro or so  Grin

When I bought my MC at least 3 people told me "You will change it in 2 years to a bigger one". I don't want to.

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
lagagnon
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 06/27/06 at 16:35:04

I must be honest and say I find too much speed actually scary. I've hit 120km/hr and that is more than fast enough for me. On the highway I stick to 100-110 km/hr. Anything else is asking for trouble if you want my humble opinion....so the point is moot.

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #62 - 06/28/06 at 06:20:10

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
It all depends on the money.  With the trip to Oklahoma for my brothers funeral, an untimely death of a kitchen appliance that needed to be replaced, a badly behaving septic system that needs attention, and a few other odds and ends ... plus trying to get stuff together for the Strugis ride ... it just makes it hard to carve out the money for the extra things I want to do.

I pulled out my Jireh catalog...page 8-76...

The parallel cooler is:

Length 9"
width   3 3/4"
Tube dia.  1 1/8"

V Version

Top to bottom 10 1/2"
Top width   4 1/8"
Tube dia.   1 1/8"
**No dimension given for bottom width

Lancer,

How much extra oil do you reckon would need added to the stock amount at changes?

Also, I was staring at Zook yesterday (as I often find myself doing at work) and began wondering if having a new oil filter cover machined with fins in it would have somewhat of a cooling effect. Sort of like Jerry's idea, only without the height. Just take the stock filter cover to a machine shop and say "make this, but add an inch to it...then put <i>cooling fins</i> on it."

Dunno if it would do much to cool the oil since it would still be right there on the engine and all that heat around the header pipe, but I'm just letting my brain bounce around about it some.

Otherwise, I'd think those aftermarket coolers are good-looking stuff and might be mounted to the frame easily enough even if the dimensions don't match up too well.

Regards,
Banger
======

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #63 - 06/28/06 at 16:08:46

Here is my idea for a remote oil filter hookup, been working on it for a couple of days and think this will work. Take a round chunk of aluminium or brass a little smaller in diameter than the stock oil filter and turn one end down to fit in the engine where the tip of the filter with the "O" ring sits. Run a large hole thru that end about 3/4 of the way into the piece of metal.
Drill and tap a hole into the side of the adapter so it meet the large hole. Run a line from the side hole in the adapter out thru the side of the oil filter cover using compression fittings and a short piece of brake tubing.  For the second line just drill and tap a second hole in the top edge of the oil filter cover and install whatever fitting you are using.      
  This design replaces the oil filter with an adapter that runs all the oil out thru the side of the oil filter cover to an external filter and cooler and returns it to the engine.
I don't think it would be hard to machine up the adapter, already found a round chunk of brass that should do the trick.  I'm just trying to figure out which way the oil flows, out of the cover into the filter or out of the filter into the cover, anybody out there know offhand?. What do you all think, will it work or not?
 The next couple days I'll be looking for fittings and and stuff for the mod, if it comes together I'll take pictures for everybody. Grin, This is a itch that needs scratching.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #64 - 06/28/06 at 16:31:57

y'all are crazy trying to make the savage fast is like trying to polish a terd Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #65 - 06/28/06 at 17:13:07

Just pullled the oil filter cover and there just isn't enough room for an adapter. The only way I could see to hook up a remote oil cooler/filter would to be to thread the oil ports going in and out of the sidecase. Then you wouldn't need the cover at all.
 Good to see you are still around Torque, your post made me LOL Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #66 - 06/28/06 at 20:29:15

Sounds like ya'll are trying to make a lot of extra work.  The IN and OUT ports for the oil system are already in the case ... just use those.

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 07/04/06 at 23:21:39

Hi- Me again, throwing in my half cent's worth... I was thinking an oil pressure gauge would be slick to add to the Savage, but most oil-ps gauges have too high of a scale to be effective.  (The Savage operates at a fairly low pressure) But- you can order a Fuel Pressure gauge 0-15lbs and use it with the appropriate fittings! I've seen them in the JC catalog for $29! Hope this helps the cause.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #68 - 07/13/06 at 12:22:52

I'm thinking something like part # 1 for an oil cooler.  This is from a yamaha roadliner.  No easy to get at in/out ports on this particular part, though.  $200 new, too.   Tongue

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #69 - 07/13/06 at 14:25:12

One thing I'm not too sure about, in the blue circle below.  Wouldn't the oil just flow in the direction of the blue arrow I've added?

I don't see a good way to plug that passage to get the oil to go the direction we want.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #70 - 07/13/06 at 14:39:56

Ah, here we go:

from here: here

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #71 - 07/13/06 at 23:52:18

For a basic oil cooler kit that is about as good as it gets.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #72 - 07/14/06 at 02:36:29

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
One thing I'm not too sure about, in the blue circle below.  Wouldn't the oil just flow in the direction of the blue arrow I've added?

I don't see a good way to plug that passage to get the oil to go the direction we want.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/vroom1776/Oil_3.jpg

Sorry to break in this conversation !
The installation of an oilcooler connected to the ports suggested by Lancer won't work.
If you study the diagram more carefully you seen that the arrow on the left is a pressure that also points Down, hence both connection will be pressurized and no flow will pass the cooler.

Option: The pressureport connection and the fillopening or drainport ( with proper adaptors)

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Greetz
Kropatchek

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #73 - 07/14/06 at 10:26:30

It looked like the oil was coming out toward the upper port on the right, then because the port is closed off, the oil takes a lateral turn toward the side of the case, and then turns up toward the oil filter.  I understand your thoughts about both sides (or ports) being under pressure, I had not thought about it that way earlier.   However, I still think that oil would flow through a cooler if mounted to these ports.  Even with the pressure on both sides, there would still be some oil drawn up by the flow of oil to the filter.   Looking at the diagram in the book there is a disc shape drawn in the lateral passageway, and I am unsure of its' significance.  One way valve?  This passageway is shown to be the oil bypass for the filter, according to the Lub. system diagram on the preceeding page.
I will check with the shop mech about the possible use of these ports.  Why else would they even be in the case, if not for a cooler.?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #74 - 07/14/06 at 11:43:39

Lancer,

Is Torque's old crank case in good enough shape to determine if this is possible?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:28:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How fast do you think...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.