Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
How fast do you think... (Read 289 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: How fast do you think...
Reply #15 - 06/19/06 at 14:43:42

See also Lancer's "Pics of Parts" thread in the marketplace.  Needs bigger valves.  He's working on it.  I'm guessing w/ a lot of head work, 97 mm, 2mm taller piston, reground cam, hot carb, hot exhaust, ceramic coated cyl, you could maybe get 65 ponies.  That's a lot.  One could also shave down the flywheel, depending on what you wanted, HP or torque (I believe that a lighter flywheel = less HP, more tq... not sure though).  It MAY be possible to stroke the engine, but I doubt it.  Oen might be able to get away with a 2 mm stroke, but that's it, and it wouldn't work w/ a taller piston.  Unless you had a brand new head designed and made... BIG $$$.  W/ the turbo or super, youy can really only run a couple of lbs w/o exploding the engine, I believe.  and as far as weight goes, -7 lbs = + 1 HP, roughly.  go on a diet.  Peopel have even talked about using titanium bolts for to save weight.  You could probably save about 5 lbs.  maybe.  Rip off the front brake.  Smaller and aluminum everything.  Marchensini (SP?) rims for about 1k $each.  narrower rear tire.... it never ends... until you start sanding down the frame.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #16 - 06/19/06 at 15:09:05

2 words... carbon fiber.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 06/19/06 at 15:15:26

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
2 words... carbon fiber.

So, not only how fast can we make it, but how fast can we empty our wallets?   Wink

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/19/06 at 16:42:40

Quote:
The belt drive has you stuck in one final-drive ratio, no matter how much work you do to lighten the bike or make the big single run faster.

Well, maybe yes; maybe no.  I know Harley makes drive pulleys plus and minus two teeth from OEM for some of their machines. Haven't found one specifically for the Savage yet, but a machine shop is always an option.  I know I would like to go two fewer teeth on mine.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #19 - 06/19/06 at 16:45:10

a lighter flywheel is for more hp and a heavier one is more torque,thats why a 2 cylinder diesel tractor has a 200 pound flywheel.

the savage might hit 120 if u ported the head and had a custom conecting rod made,but i dont think it'd work.
dont waste your money on trying to make a single cylinder go fast,spend it on guns and girls Grin

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #20 - 06/19/06 at 19:39:29

I just had an odd thought; (happens a lot) what if Suzuki put the DR650 motor in future Savages/S40? Puts out 9.9 more horsepower & 2.7 more ft/pounds of torque, according to the dyno at MotorcycleConsumer News. Air cooled & carbureted. Could be an interesting project.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Lion

Budapest, Hungary
Reply #21 - 06/19/06 at 21:58:18

My top speed is 100km/h  Cheesy Remember mine is a 400cc.

'96 LS400 (
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #22 - 06/20/06 at 03:06:27

I think the chain conversion is a good thing, on it's own it would give the Savage quite a bit more speed.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #23 - 06/20/06 at 04:46:43

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I just had an odd thought; (happens a lot) what if Suzuki put the DR650 motor in future Savages/S40? Puts out 9.9 more horsepower & 2.7 more ft/pounds of torque, according to the dyno at MotorcycleConsumer News. Air cooled & carbureted. Could be an interesting project.

...Aaaaaand it's got a chain final-drive system. I've thought of this a lot, myself. Is it water-cooled? I've seen a number of dual-purpose and enduro bikes that are. This would make for a cooler-running, and thus more powerful, engine.

Wonder how easy (or difficult  Undecided ) it might be to transplant the DR650 engine into the LS650 frame...hmmm...

And right on with the thinner tires / lose weight thing. That's precisely the biggest gain for performance reasons, right there. But even if she weighs less, the engine will only rev so far in factory setup before she blows. Ported heads sounds costly and also sounds like a reliability issue, but since we're talking hypotheticals here, it'd likely help a little. I still think the chain drive gives you the easiest way to max your top speed for your given horsepower, so do that first and then tweak the engine to the maximum of your abilities.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #24 - 06/20/06 at 04:47:43

Nevermind on the water-cooled. I didn't read the message well enough.

Silly me!

Still sounds like a tempting idea, though, transplanting one of those bad boys.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 06/20/06 at 17:06:24

I like a very efficient machine, one that runs well and is spirited feeling.  
The Savage seems to me to be limited mostly by the  head/valves.  It is designed to be an  easygoing economy machine.  Changing the carb and exhaust and cam are the easiest and least expensive things to do that make a significant difference in performance.  Throw in a good cylinder coating and it will PURR .  With these few changes and a fine state of tune, the engine will make enough power to make it to 100 or so with the stock gearing.  I do hope to get the head redone because that should help to release another 10 hp or so...at least that's my wild guess.  Anyway, with that added capability it might be able to pull 115-120 mph with a gearing change.
For me, I would just do a pulley swap to get the gearing up a bit, it would be the cheapest way by far to do it.
My personal goal is not top speed, I am just trying to make it as efficient as possible, which does result in hp and torque...but the most usable type.  I use top speed, or a 0-60 or 1/4 mile time as a way to measure progress.  
Just as important is the handling capability and that is where a fork brace and  heavier oil will improve the front end performance, or a complete replacement may be on order if you want the next level of performance.  Then too, the rear shocks need replacing very badly if you do any harder riding than very easy and slow cruising.  

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #26 - 06/21/06 at 03:15:03

What's up with the DR 750/800 ?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 06/21/06 at 13:29:36

and after melting my electrical... and hoping my ignitor is not broken... I was thinking about an aftermarket timing unit.  At present, there is no way to adjsut the ignition timing.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 06/22/06 at 07:21:14

Wow its hard to imagine that bike going 120 let alone 150.  i do believe the chain conversion is a good place to start for top speed.  Oversizing it would be very min help because an extra 29 cc wont make a huge difference unless it has a more agressive cam, higher compression piston, port work.  I think the key to better overall preformance would be making it fuel injection.  

I think that would make a very substantial difference and make it easier to turbo the engine.   The only bad thing about turbochargin the savage is that it is air cooled.  The turbo would have to be oil cooled and u might want an oil cooler.   Could u mount a smaller RX7 intercooler to it for the turbo air as well?

Seems like it would be alot of fun but a HUGE waste of money.  I dont see how the bike could be stable in any of those speeds and it would be too dangerous.  I think its more likely to blow up and kill someone than to break 120 mph and still be a daily driver.

I think it would be more fun to mount a fz6 engine on a go cart.  98hp .. woo woo.  fun

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #29 - 06/22/06 at 08:37:47

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Seems like it would be alot of fun but a HUGE waste of money.  

Yup.  Those be my thoughts exactly.  Which is why I like to keep it hypothetical.  I'm spending enough keeping 2 bikes going, I don't need a third that I'd be completely rebuilding!

But man, it's fun to think about, isn't it?  Taking a bike that is really not intended for those speeds and making it capable of it...

I suppose if I wanted a fast bike, I would have bought a fast bike.  Instead, I have 2 cruisers.  But the challenge of making a 650 thumper go that fast...sounds like fun.  The building, engineering, and set up more so than the riding, I think.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:33:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How fast do you think...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.