Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
How fast do you think... (Read 289 times)
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: How fast do you think...
Reply #105 - 08/02/06 at 02:44:18

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
That is a heck of a thing that Suzuki did with these bolt/plugs, , using a one off thread size like that.  Doesn't that just torque your rear wheel when they do something like that?

Posted a link in the Technical section with all about metric threads.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1154511...
Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #106 - 08/02/06 at 06:33:47

Ed, think it over several more times before you do it. What bothers me a bit about it all is we just do not have much oil pressure to start with - 10 psi best case - so the pump really is just moving oil around with enough pressure to push it through the filter and lift it to the head as it leaks out along the way oiling various parts. Need to be really sure the external cooler and its placement doesn't cause any drop in pressure at all as there is none to spare - while the oil coolers that run up the frame are neat looking it seems unlikely it could be done with out a serious drop in pressure due to the height/lift.
As was suggested a power steering cooler mounted roughly inline with the current oil flow shouldn't cause a drop as long as it doesn't introduce any restriction.

Another thought is if the purpose is to cool the engine it seems to me a positive air flow through the engine would help in this regard. These being single cylinder engines allows this to happen fairly easy as each time the piston goes down 652cc's worth of air is displaced with no where to go except out through the head breather tube and as the piston goes up it sucks back in generally the same air so this stock design simply moves the same air back and forth through the head breather tube and air box. with a filtered air intake say at the filler cap and an air exhaust at the current head breather tube - directional check valves like pcv's or perhaps reed valves should do the trick.    

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #107 - 08/02/06 at 13:24:02

I don't think there will be that much drop in the pressure as long as the tubing ID is large enough and the cooler is close to the oil ports. 10 psi can raise oil up to almost 10 feet so there should be enough pressure. Tried matching the trans cooler up to the frame and realized it is too long, Almost half of it will hang directly behind the front tire and get hammered with road debris which is not good. Need to find a smaller cooler. Had to put the project on the back burner for now. My 17 year old boat needs some TLC which is taking up a lot of my free time.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #108 - 08/02/06 at 15:11:44

Keeping dang boats together will take all of ones time I've noted over the years

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #109 - 09/01/06 at 10:27:29

If you want AN fittings check out Earl's Performance products.  In particular get into the UK site to search for parts made for bikes.  I just finished a GSX-R1100 based monster of a street fighter that I replaced the stock cooler with a 19row Earls'.  They have all the metric fittings and 90-s to 180 deg fittings to route anything.  Pricy but beautiful.  They have the metric straight threads you will need to connect straight up to the factory threads you are all disussing.  They list coolers for most all the sporty suzuki's. I will have to check if they have a fittment for the savage.  T

he key is they have all this figured out in the UK but not in the US where the company is based.  I took the UK pn's to the US customer service and they gave me the us equivalent.  then I ordered them from a local dealer or I also found an bought some cheaper on line.

I am new to the forum but I am planning a major transplant of a savage engine into a different frame to build a 60's style cafe bike.  

I am planning for the carb, cam and exhaust, looking a porting (questionable the payback), chain conversion is a must, and yes a tach!  If I push enough power I will be looking at oil coolers if needed.

WWW   IP Logged
Enfield_fan
Ex Member

Reply #110 - 09/21/06 at 09:59:05

jhb478 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
[Haven't found one specifically for the Savage yet, but a machine shop is always an option.  I know I would like to go two fewer teeth on mine.I have made cogged pulleys for redrives on homebuilt aircraft and have considered doing the same for my Savage, would really like a comfortable cruise in the 70 mph range with a lower rpm and a tooth or two might do it,  I'll tool up to make duplicates if there is an interest  .   John

I have seen where several folks have mentioned changing the final drive ratio by putting a smaller belt-drive pulley on the rear wheel...but it occurs to me that there might be an easier way to go about getting a different final drive ratio.

Has anyone considered putting a smaller primary-drive sprocket on the input side of the transmission? Suzuki makes a boatload of bike transmissions...I bet there's a factory bolt-on in the neighborhood of 20% smaller. Working out the right length of drive chain might be tricky, but if it worked, it would all fit under the stock primary drive cover.

Of course I'm assuming that the primary drive is a chain and not a belt...I'm a newbie in every respect, so I don't know for sure.

A 20% smaller input sprocket on the tranny would yield 20% more top end, assuming the bike has enough power to top out the rev range. That would turn an 85 mph bike into a 102 mph bike with more liesurely acceleration. Fuel economy at highway speed should be unchanged, or perhaps a smidge better.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #111 - 09/22/06 at 02:52:40

Remember guys if you double the power you only go 26% faster, you'd still need to up the gearing.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #112 - 09/22/06 at 07:02:08

I am very strongly considdering going to a chain drive, and getting a couple of different tooth rear sprockets.  midrange, HP, and tq...

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #113 - 09/23/06 at 02:47:35

Hey Vroom

V good idea.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #114 - 09/25/06 at 13:57:24

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Hey Vroom

V good idea.

Clive W  Cheesy

'bout time!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #115 - 02/15/09 at 12:31:09

Ed L. wrote on 07/27/06 at 16:14:04:
I need to chime in on this again, I pulled the oil cover on my savage and took a long look. For what it is worth I think this will work. Plug the hole marked above the blue circle which runs oil into the cavity that the oil filter sits in. Replace the front plug with a hose fitting, there is a problem here with the size and threads, think it is a M14-1.75 but am not sure.  Drill and tap a hole for the oil return line in the side case somewhere above the stock oil filter, not a hard thing to do, it is only aluminium and there is a lot of meat to work with. With this setup the oil runs out the front plug hole thru the  aftermarket filter/cooler back into the fitting that was drilled and tapped in the top of the cavity that the stock oil filter sits in and returns to the engine thru the stock filter. Total flow thru the aftermarket cooler/filter and the stock filter acts as a secondary unit. I think this is the easiest way to hook up a total flow oil filter/cooler, just need to find a remote filter and lines that I like before trying it Undecided.  (Also need to work up the nerve to drill and tap the side cover and plug the oil hole) What do you think, worth a try next oil change?  

Correct size is M12-1.25 for the pressure port and the bottom one too.
Personally, I'd like to put taps in both ports are run a HD oil cooler.  There's seems to be enough pressure drop across that transfer port to supply enough flow thru the cooler.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #116 - 02/15/09 at 12:39:37

Enfield_fan wrote on 09/21/06 at 09:59:05:
Has anyone considered putting a smaller primary-drive sprocket on the input side of the transmission? Suzuki makes a boatload of bike transmissions...I bet there's a factory bolt-on in the neighborhood of 20% smaller. Working out the right length of drive chain might be tricky, but if it worked, it would all fit under the stock primary drive cover.
Of course I'm assuming that the primary drive is a chain and not a belt...I'm a newbie in every respect, so I don't know for sure.

You mean the primary gear and clutch gear?
no chain inside.
the '86 is supposed to have a different gear ratio then everything else.
I have an '88, and it's the same as a '96.  Although I haven't counted them.  It's been said that on a early model, the primary gear can be taken off before removing the clutch.
If that's what you wanta do, then there you go, get a primary gear and clutch basket off a '86.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #117 - 02/15/09 at 15:11:46

Chain beats belt even if the gear ratio isnt changed because the belt eats some H/P thru friction. So does the chain, but the chain eats less horse power than the belt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Reply #118 - 02/15/09 at 16:04:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/15/09 at 15:11:46:
Chain beats belt even if the gear ratio isnt changed because the belt eats some H/P thru friction. So does the chain, but the chain eats less horse power than the belt.

so true and even the size of the chain makes a difference. Most streetbikes come with a 525(size) or 530 chain. Just swapping to a smaller chain (520 conversion) makes a huge difference...

IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #119 - 07/07/09 at 16:55:36

The Ford Duraspark II module could be made to fire the Savage. Ignition timing can be adjusted somewhat with resistors. Gene

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:34:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How fast do you think...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.