Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
How fast do you think... (Read 289 times)
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
How fast do you think...
06/16/06 at 19:18:36

Now, I'm not ordinarily very speed oriented.  I like to take it slow.  But I was sitting around and thinking...

Some of y'all are getting fairly substantial power gains out of your Savage.  My Savage, and a few others, have dropped the weight down to, or in some of our cases below, the 300 pound mark.  

I know that a number of y'all have topped 100mph.  And occasionally people ask about top speed (although it's always seemed to me that if you were out looking for a fast bike, the Savage probably isn't for you).  But I'm more wondering...how fast do you think we could get one to do?  If we were to somehow magically come into posession of a brand new, straight off the showroom floor 2006 S40, we all pitched in (in this hypothetical situation), how fast could we get it?  What mods would we make to get it there?  How crazy could/would we get with it?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Re: How fast do you think...
Reply #1 - 06/16/06 at 19:54:05

SL:  I am kinda with you...I think about going 75 or 80 and then I remember what someone once told me "don't go any faster than the speed you want to fall at".  Therefore I stay around the 60mph mark and I still know I don't want to take a tumble at that speed either, but I also don't want to get run over by the cagers. Roll Eyes  I definitely think my 06 could go much faster than 100mph, just not with me riding it. 8)

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/16/06 at 20:19:04

I guess you could start with high lift cams,turbo charger,
big carb,high compression piston,remove the muffler and put on a megaphone,clip on handlbars,clubman seat,
the last two don't make it go any faster it would just seem faster,and look cooler.
        There's my two cents worth,Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/16/06 at 20:37:41

If speed is the game seems to me you need to open up the flow with the pipe, carb, and maybe a cam for a little more rpm - but a chain drive conversion would allow you to step up the ratio for longer legs.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 06/16/06 at 23:06:57

got my o6 the first week of feb.im the ride it like you stole it break in school of thought..that first week got to over 85 (40 f no ice west colorado)on the I 70..
now... third or  4th pipe hd with partial baffle disc drilled,,dynojet stage one , k&n drop in and snorkel remove.. small suzuki (natnl) sport screen(from day one)
3200k on od  85 tops BUT i get there quicker and she screams SOOO much deeper...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 06/17/06 at 06:43:42

that depends if we are talking 1/4 mile or bonneville, with the big single, torque is abundant, so quick response is the trade off. are we limited to natural aspiration or do we get to stuff it? i think in any case, i think 150 mph is easily attainable, given enough room to stretch out.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/17/06 at 07:00:41

The speed thing cracks me up, my hubby is getting his HD next week a l200, im like how fast do you really need to go?

my thumper  can go as fast as im gonna need her to go and I dont need l200cc to do it....

Im thinkin its a macho thing for him......no less than a HD will do and twice the price of my thumper...and this is the man that has never spent more than 500-l000 on a cage LOL

Yes the HD are pretty, but my suzi is pretty too!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 06/17/06 at 08:49:23

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I guess you could start with high lift cams,turbo charger,
big carb,high compression piston,remove the muffler and put on a megaphone,clip on handlbars,clubman seat,
the last two don't make it go any faster it would just seem faster,and look cooler.
        There's my two cents worth,Mick

Last two do make it faster -- by enabling the hug the tank position and cutting a lot of drag.  You'll also want a small fairing.

It has always been my understanding that for top end speed you want horsepower, and for off the line acceleration you want torque.  For horsepower you want lotsa small cylinders with high revs.  For torque you want fewer and larger -- a Thumper.

I tell people that when I drive/ride I am quick, not fast.  I can generally, from a stopsign/light, hit the speed limit before or at least soon after clearing the intersection.  I generally travel close to the speed limits, sometimes below.

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #8 - 06/17/06 at 09:37:11

Well SL, I think the way to maximize available speed would be what we are already doing here. Everyone of us nearly has done a mod that would help. Lightening of the bike as you mentioned is step one. By lightening the ride I mean getting rid of everything thats not needed. Rear pegs, belt cover, headlight, turn signals front and rear, tailight, fenders, rear brake parts, chrome engine covers, mirrors, horn, rear seat, rails and sissybar, shocks, and the airbox. All of it must go. Then once we finish the diet we do the carb work, the head work plus port and polish, new cam, sleave the jug, change the piston, change the pipe, the air cleaner, and the plug. Next we put on the nitrous kit. The smallest windscreen we can find tilted @ just the right angle to give maximum deflection with minimal resistance. Fill er up with gas. No time to skimp now, giver her the good stuff, 105 octane racing fuel.

Ok now we're ready. Sit down, hit the starter, tuck in tight and hope like he|| you don't hit a dog.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 06/18/06 at 12:28:11

Woof Woof. Cheesy

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #10 - 06/18/06 at 12:29:03

The last comment was from Abby my Newfie. She'd hate to hurt a human.

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #11 - 06/19/06 at 05:09:07

I think, for purposes of the average tweaker and tuner, that the chain mod would easily gain you the most speed for your trouble.

The belt drive has you stuck in one final-drive ratio, no matter how much work you do to lighten the bike or make the big single run faster. So I'd say convert it to a chain (as much as I hate the stupid things) first, and then do the rest of the mods.

Where was it I saw pictures of someone racing a Savage? It was all gutted, chopped and stuff. I think it had clip-ons, too! He raced club races with it and "run-what-ya-brung" style races. And looked better than anyone else doing it, might I add!  Grin

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #12 - 06/19/06 at 13:34:29

It would be tricky but I would also change the transmission gear ratios depending on if you want quick or fast on whether you want to gear down or up.

I once had a Mercury Cougar that had such high gears that I could wrap the speedo almost all the way back to the 20mph number and the top speed (according to the speedo) was 120mph. The darn thing sounded like an airplane when it was at max speed.

So regearing the tranny, and regear the final drive. (from tranny to rear wheel) would definately get you speed or torque depending on which way you gear it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #13 - 06/19/06 at 13:40:24

You know, this is almost tempting...

To get ahold of an older Savage, rebuild it with the help of everyone here with top speed being the sole purpose behind it, see if we can't figure out who our best (and probably craziest) rider here is, and see what we can, collectively, make a Savage do.  

It'd be interesting to see a Savage roaring away at Bonneville, wouldn't it?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #14 - 06/19/06 at 13:56:43

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
You know, this is almost tempting...

To get ahold of an older Savage, rebuild it with the help of everyone here with top speed being the sole purpose behind it, see if we can't figure out who our best (and probably craziest) rider here is, and see what we can, collectively, make a Savage do.  

It'd be interesting to see a Savage roaring away at Bonneville, wouldn't it?

I'ld be up for that. Sounds fun.  Grin Grin

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:41:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How fast do you think...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.