Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starter clutch stucks (Read 4 times)
blackiex
Ex Member

Starter clutch stucks
06/16/06 at 16:29:54

Dear Savage gurus,

My 1994' beauty behaves strange for a while. Battery fully charged, petcock open, fuel OK, spark OK. It should start, but it won't, because my starter motor does something wrong. It spins a bit, the engine rotates a few times, then is gives a "clank" noise and stops turning. Releasing and pushing the starter button again, the strarter clanks again without rotating a bit. I used to 'release" the stuck starter clutch by pushing the bike backwards a few inches in 2nd gear and it worked, after that it crnaked again. Today this method failed. I guess I have to check up the starter system, but I have no idea what could be the problem or how to solve it.

Any advices would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

David, Hungary

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Starter clutch stucks
Reply #1 - 06/16/06 at 19:15:48

before you dig deep - make real sure the battery is hold the charge it should be - after it's been sitting over nite with out a charger on it measure the voltage with a digital volt meter - is it 12.7 or more?

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/16/06 at 20:34:53

Also check the compression releaf to make sure it is working right!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 06/16/06 at 23:12:34

is the battery a 94 also?? check starter wire for tight connection also..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 06/17/06 at 06:32:32

batteries can get to point, where they appear to hold 12v, but cannot deliver under load. a digital multimeter on the battery while starting should read better than 11v. as mentioned, check battery connections for corsion, tightness, and check the cables to make sure  corosion hasn't crawled into them. good luck

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
blackiex
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/19/06 at 23:27:20

Well, I bought a new battery this morning. After arriving home I checked the voltage, my multimeter shows 12,4. What if the charging circuit is defected? How should I check it out?

Thank you!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 06/20/06 at 04:49:04

you were 12.4 on the new one or the old one?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 06/20/06 at 06:48:19

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
you were 12.4 on the new one or the old one?

...and does she start with the new battery or are the results the same as your original post?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
blackiex
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/20/06 at 13:34:17

It is the new battery that gives 12.4. The bike starts up normally. The failure of the charging circuit will be obvious if it won't start a few days later...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 06/21/06 at 14:59:58

12.4 is not very good for new battery - at 12.2-12.3 the engine will turn but the ign will not fire - to check for charge leave the multimeter hooked when you start the volts will head up

let's add this to the list - 12.27v will not start an '02

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
blackiex
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/01/06 at 16:02:35

Well, guys... My Savage ain't got any charge and that is for sure. As you know, I bought a new battery (BigCrank is not sold in my country). After a week or two it can't even crank the engine, so that means that there is no charge. What do you suggest I should check? How should I know whether the alternator gives any voltage to my battery?

Tnaks in advance!

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #11 - 07/01/06 at 22:27:38

attach a volt meter to a known good battery(one that withstands a load test) fire 'er up, being rpm up to 'bout shift point, volt meter should read minium, 13.8 to max of 14.8 volts. that'll keep most batterys at full charge.

IP Logged
blackiex
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/04/06 at 10:18:36

I tried what you suggested, diesel. My electric system is in critical state. The voltmeter reads 12.25-12,6 from idle to shift point and it comes much worse when the headlight is on. Only 11,6-11,8. The wires that come from the generator into the regulator (three yellow) and the black-white cable that comes from the regulator are HOT! If I disconnect the connector from the regulator with the red, black-white and orange-black cables the voltmeter reads almost 17 volts betveen the black-white and the red cables.

Shown on this picture:
http://chopperfield.uw.hu/hot_cables.jpg

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #13 - 07/04/06 at 22:21:19

IF the alt. can produce that kind of voltage with out control, don't think rotor, brushes, or stator at fault. if possible, try a known good reg,-rec. kinda difficult to trouble shoot, not being there. automotive alt. with external regs. could be put into an uncontroled out put by disconeting reg. and hot wiring alt. field. don't understand how you got an uncontroled output by just disconecting the reg. mabey sombody here could 'splain that to me. the 3 yellow wires comming the stator should show no continuity to each other or to ground, that would indicate a bad stator, if you put a ac volt meter on each yellow wire to ground with engine reved , each wire should show close to 75 acv. thats what they would show on a 1000, 1100, or 1200 honda wing, manual for LS should have those specs. just trying to be a little helpful if i can. diesel

IP Logged
blackiex
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/05/06 at 00:51:47

The yellow cables show continuity to the ground. According to the wiring diagram, the coils in the strator are bonded together radially (like a Y) and I guess their central terminals are connected to the ground. Like on this picture... I think the red arrow shows the point where the ground is connected to the colis. Like in high voltage generators.

http://chopperfield.uw.hu/generator.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:21:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter clutch stucks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.