Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fill up before needing reserve or not??? (Read 8 times)
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Fill up before needing reserve or not???
Reply #15 - 06/18/06 at 14:06:06

I run till reserve, meaning when the engine dies or begins to sputter. Grab down and put to PRI untill the engine runs fine, then I switch to RES.
Then fill up at the nearest gas station with regular ( 95 Oct.)
Checked on the bicycle computer:

160 - 180 KM and filled up to full with 8.5 liters or a little bit more depending how far the gas station is after I switch to RES.

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #16 - 06/18/06 at 14:49:31

DianeS. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I fill up every day that I take the bike to work, as it's @ 100 miles round trip.  So, I tend to fill up before the tank gets as low as needing to be switched to reserve.  Plus, I live in a rural area, where the gas stations are few and far beween.

Yet, I was wondering if there is any harm in running the bike often out of fuel, changing to the reserve and then filling up.  By doing that, I'd at least have to fill up less often.

Anyway, just wondering what most people here do - run into the reserve to fill up with more fuel, or just keep topping up and refuelling more often.

DianeS  

I fill up by day of the week. My bikes a commuter and the only days I have gotten low enough to need reserve was on sunday. So I fill up every sunday afternoon. Just curious, what are the drive and road conditions for your 100 mile daily ride?  

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #17 - 06/18/06 at 19:48:45

Brewbrother:  The first 45 minutes of my ride to work is on two-lane rural highways with a posted limit of 80 km/h, except for a few small towns.  Depending on which way I go, there are some large hills, but the scenery is awesome!   The final 15 minutes is in York Region, Ontario - more populated area, with several road changes, traffic lights, more cars, and a posted limit of 60 km/h - except in school zones.  

I don't ride every day, because if the forecast is for lots of rain, or I have a lot to transport - I just take my Honda Civic.  Yet, if the skies are clear, and I don't need to lug my huge teaching binders(lol)..........yahoo - I take my bike!!!  (I've only been riding since October 2005, so I've only ridden on wet roads once, and not in any real rain yet).  Plus, being Ontario, I didn't ride much in the winter - although I did ride a few times.  I have put about 2500 kms. on the bike since I got it Nov. 2005.

One step at a time!!! Grin

DianeS.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/20/06 at 17:34:49

I have to agree that whether you use your res or not it is a good idea to test it every so often so it works when you need it.  As for the gas when I picked up my bike they recommended just regular, although it is an '86 so the age may hinder some of the performance you might gain on a newer engine.  

Diane - It sounds like you live a little east of me, my drive is very similar down to the outskirts of Mississauga (about 160km round trip).  I find that quite often I hit reserve on my way to the gas station in the morning.  I haven't been riding as long but I too am getting there.  I'll keep an eye out for another thumper in my travels and be sure to give you a wave Grin

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #19 - 06/20/06 at 17:46:43

WKD - haven't seen any other savages in my travels either, but there are definately more bikes anytime I travel a bit south of my place - into North Oshawa etc.
I live closer to Lindsay, Ont - but teach in Markham.

Cheers!

Diane

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #20 - 06/20/06 at 18:10:09

Brewbrother:  The first 45 minutes of my ride to work is on two-lane rural highways with a posted limit of 80 km/h, except for a few small towns.  Depending on which way I go, there are some large hills, but the scenery is awesome!   The final 15 minutes is in York Region, Ontario - more populated area, with several road changes, traffic lights, more cars, and a posted limit of 60 km/h - except in school zones.  
I don't ride every day, because if the forecast is for lots of rain, or I have a lot to transport - I just take my Honda Civic.  Yet, if the skies are clear, and I don't need to lug my huge teaching binders(lol)..........yahoo - I take my bike!!!  (I've only been riding since October 2005, so I've only ridden on wet roads once, and not in any real rain yet).  Plus, being Ontario, I didn't ride much in the winter - although I did ride a few times.  I have put about 2500 kms. on the bike since I got it Nov. 2005.

One step at a time!!! Grin

DianeS.

The only thing that stops me is rain or hurricanes 12 months a year. I guess we share weather opposites. BTW, thats a pretty good commute. I bet your day starts with a huge smile.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #21 - 06/20/06 at 18:37:45

Brewbrother:  I'm usually pretty rushed in the mornings trying to get myself, a 4 year old, and an 8 year old out the door by 7am.  So, at that point I'm not necessarily smiling - but I do smile once the kids are at the babysitter's, and I'm on the bike on my way to work.

The best rides are the rides home though - when the temp. is a bit warmer, and my work day is done!!!
Yahoo!!!

Diane S

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #22 - 06/20/06 at 18:48:13

Brewbrother:  I'm usually pretty rushed in the mornings trying to get myself, a 4 year old, and an 8 year old out the door by 7am.  So, at that point I'm not necessarily smiling - but I do smile once the kids are at the babysitter's, and I'm on the bike on my way to work.

The best rides are the rides home though - when the temp. is a bit warmer, and my work day is done!!!
Yahoo!!!

The long way home calls??!!

Diane S

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 06/21/06 at 05:39:10

I'll go along with the workday being done but I'm afraid the rest of it is somewhat locale dependent.  Mornings here are more in the 75 or 80 degrees range and evenings are more like 95 to 100 degrees.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 06/21/06 at 06:58:15

Summer has indeed set in - except for the last  5 days and some where around a foot of rain.

Heat and air cooled engines is always a fun debate as is oil type and octane.

Octane -

The owners manual states 87 is a minimum for the (R+M)/2 method.

The Suzuki LS650 Service Manual part# 99500-36064-03E w/updates page 1-1 states this

FUEL

Use only unleaded or low-lead type gasoline of at least 85 - 95 pump octane (R+M)/2 method or 89 octane or higher rated by the Research method.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #25 - 06/22/06 at 16:14:02

Well, I live in Ontario, Canada, and although we are getting some pretty hot weather 30 c. (90 F), some mornings when I leave for work at 7am, the temp. is only 10 c (50 F).   So, that's what I meant by being fairly cool on my morning ride, but finding it more pleasant on the ride home.  I do have two jackets, both with liners, so I am experimenting to see which jacket suits different temperatures.  I am not one to just ride around in regular clothes - though it must be very freeing to ride like that!!!  I just want to have the best protective if I ever do come off of the bike.  So, I wear a helmet, jacket, leather pants, gloves, and leather boots.

DianeS

IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 06/22/06 at 18:38:55

Diane...congrats to you...that is the only way to ride and I am glad you care enough about yourself to protect YOU... 8)

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 06/23/06 at 07:42:37

I wish someone at Suzuki would read this board and offer a mere 2 things for sale: Extended range tank in the 3.5 gallon range, and 3-teeth larger countershaft pulley for the drive. Oh yeah... a roller tensioner for the cam chain. Okay- I'm done wishing.
Oooh! Oooh! And an oil cooler!

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #28 - 06/23/06 at 19:40:02

Divecop:  Well, I try to protect myself as much as I can, because I have two daughters aged 4, and 8, and a husband who wants me around.  So, it's not like I'd be only hurting myself, if anything bad were to happen.

Jerry:  I also wish the savage had a larger gas tank.  Do any other bikes have a tank this small?  I'm worried that if I join a local bike club for one of the group rides, I'll be the only one needing to fuel up after an hour or so of riding.  Rather inconvenient!  Yet the idea of mounting another tank on the back - scares the heck out of me too.  (Anyone remember the Ford Pinto car that used to blow up because the fuel tank was at the very rear part of the car - ready to be smashed by a rear-end collision?)  Yikes!

DianeS.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #29 - 06/23/06 at 19:46:18

well you can get 100 miles before you need to start looking - depending on the type of bikes in the club you sure won't be the only one - now I wouldn't suggest you join up with a pack of bmws or roadkings.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 19:40:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fill up before needing reserve or not???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.