Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running on reserve all the time? (Read 5 times)
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Running on reserve all the time?
06/16/06 at 02:08:51

Just curious... is there anything wrong with running the bike on reserve setting all the time instead of waiting for the gas tank to get low enough to actually have to switch to reserve?

IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Re: Running on reserve all the time?
Reply #1 - 06/16/06 at 02:53:57

Outiside of that is a good way to run out of gas...  None that I can tell.  Why would you want to run on reserve all the time?  I kinda like a bit of a warning before I do something stupid.  

There is a mod on this site to make your petc*** a manual one.  I think people were doing this when they had a problem with it and didn't want to buy the parts.

- Roadie

IP Logged
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/16/06 at 03:08:16

Overall I agree with you that it's better not to run the risk of running out of fuel by not running on reserve all the time.

Only reason I'm doing it is I just started having a small problem yesterday where the engine runs kind of rough. Playing around with it I found that the engine ran better/smoother when I had the fuel switched over to reserve. Not sure why this is the case but I don't have time until Saturday to take off the petc0ck and check it out.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/16/06 at 10:31:52

Are you sure it's reserve, or is it prime?  That could easily make a difference.  If it is reserve, you need to remove the petc)ck and clean it as the run setting is probably clogged a little.

IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 06/16/06 at 16:04:16

If your on position is eratic and you have to run on reserve either the top of the screen in the petthingie is dirty, or you are almost out of gas. BUT If your using the prime position check the vacuum line - thats the other hose going from tank to carb - if it is cloged or damaged it will not let the fuel flow in ON or RES.
Just curious, how much fuel was in your tank when the problem started?

IP Logged
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/16/06 at 17:07:52

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yep, definitely on reserve.

Tank had just been filled so probably was down about an 1/8th or so.

Just reread what I wrote earlier and realized my description might be a lttile vague. When in the "on" position, the bike runs like it is starved for fuel. As soon as I set it to reserve, teh engine smooths out and runs great. I'd agree... seems like I'll have to pull apart the pet-thingy and clean out the screen in there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 01:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running on reserve all the time?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.