steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Hello electricians
06/14/06 at 17:33:55

When I wire my new turn signals I want to wire them so they stay on with the tail light and then flash with the signals. Anybody know how I would accomplish this? I can turn wrenches, cut steel with fire and put it back together by electricity. But auxillary wiring is not an area I was blessed in. (spelling either) Grin

Oh yea I should mention up front they are dual filament, 2 wire lights.

WWW   IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Re: Hello electricians
Reply #1 - 06/14/06 at 18:29:51

look at kuryaken web site they have a little module thing that can do it. the name is something like run-brake -turn or something like that

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/14/06 at 20:07:32

What you want to do is have the rear turn signals also be run/brake lights.

The <u>Kuryakyn</u> adapter allows you do use your stock single filament bulbs for this, just replacing the lenses with red lenses to be legal.

As far as I can see they do not make an adapter for dual filament turn signals.

The wiring of the dual filament bulbs is easy, to a point.  You can wire the high wattage lead to the turn signal and the low wattage lead to the taillight and you will have turn signal and running lights.  But not brake.  You can tie the brake light in by using power diodes to isolate the lamp from the leads so that voltage will not feed back -- a basic OR circuit.  The bright light will flash with the brake or the turn signal.  But......  the brake will override the turn signal's off time and you lose the turn signal when braking.

To get what you want you need an EOR circuit -- an exclusive or.  The lamp will light with the turn signal or the brake, but not both -- so the lamp will flash off when the turn and brake leads are hot.  You need transistor switches -- a bit more complicated than just connecting up a diode.  Not something I can help you with.  Fortunately....

Trailers run dual filament turn/stop/run lights and connect to cars with separate stop/run and turn signals.  <u>Draw-Tite</u> makes an adapter that could be used to do what you want.  While I haven't seen or done one, it should work just fine.  Follow the instructions that come with the module and to attach to your brake/run/turn leads, use the trailer output for your dual filament turn signals.

I may be a total loss with it comes to wrenching, but electricity and I are old friends.

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #3 - 06/15/06 at 14:41:44

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
What you want to do is have the rear turn signals also be run/brake lights.

The <u>Kuryakyn</u> adapter allows you do use your stock single filament bulbs for this, just replacing the lenses with red lenses to be legal.

As far as I can see they do not make an adapter for dual filament turn signals.

The wiring of the dual filament bulbs is easy, to a point.  You can wire the high wattage lead to the turn signal and the low wattage lead to the taillight and you will have turn signal and running lights.  But not brake.  You can tie the brake light in by using power diodes to isolate the lamp from the leads so that voltage will not feed back -- a basic OR circuit.  The bright light will flash with the brake or the turn signal.  But......  the brake will override the turn signal's off time and you lose the turn signal when braking.

To get what you want you need an EOR circuit -- an exclusive or.  The lamp will light with the turn signal or the brake, but not both -- so the lamp will flash off when the turn and brake leads are hot.  You need transistor switches -- a bit more complicated than just connecting up a diode.  Not something I can help you with.  Fortunately....

Trailers run dual filament turn/stop/run lights and connect to cars with separate stop/run and turn signals.  <u>Draw-Tite</u> makes an adapter that could be used to do what you want.  While I haven't seen or done one, it should work just fine.  Follow the instructions that come with the module and to attach to your brake/run/turn leads, use the trailer output for your dual filament turn signals.

I may be a total loss with it comes to wrenching, but electricity and I are old friends.

Ok now I'm really lost. Undecided

I don't really care about the brake light comming on in the turn lamps just the tail light and turn signals. I have a seperate brake light anyway.

So from the stuff I don't understand I think I managed to decipher this....

Run High wattage lead to the turn signals and low wattage lead to the tail light. Then the new lamps will burn all the time with the tail light and brighten with the turn signals. Never comming on with the brake light. This is the senario I am looking for.  Is the translation correct?

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 06/15/06 at 17:16:58

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Ok now I'm really lost. Undecided
Run High wattage lead to the turn signals and low wattage lead to the tail light. Then the new lamps will burn all the time with the tail light and brighten with the turn signals. Never comming on with the brake light. This is the senario I am looking for.  Is the translation correct?

1.  Not lost.
2.  Absolutely correct.
3.  To be legal running lights you need the light to be red.

And you said you weren't blessed.  HAH!  You took too much information, threw out the chaff and got down to the kernel you needed.

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #5 - 06/15/06 at 17:29:20

Well ya done good Paladin. I got the lights hooked up and they work just as they should. And it only took finding the headlight fuse and replacing it twice to do it. Grin

Thanks for the help!

BTW, the lenses are red.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 06/16/06 at 16:24:53

Check out the V* 1100 knowledge base.  There are explicit instuctions on how to do just this over there.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ.htm

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 03:13:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hello electricians

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.