Send Topic Print
First (Real) Rides (Read 5 times)
Aviler

American Rebel
Dragon Pirate

McPherson, KS
First (Real) Rides
06/14/06 at 16:36:26

After having my Savage for 2.5 years, I finally got it completely legal Monday, getting it tagged.  Now I just have to scrounge time to ride it. Smiley Little errands when the wife is home so she can watch the kids (motorcycle not exactly being a family transport Smiley, riding to work in the morning, and then back home after work to pick up my truck so I can go pick up the kids from the babysitter (again with the family transport inadequacy).

So, I've only put a little over 14 miles on it since I tagged it (8 of them today with the to and from work), but I have found that I will either need to route myself around the low-traffic areas that have induction triggered signals, or pick up one of the many green light triggers on the market. Unfortunately, where I work has a gate that closes on a timer and then opens via induction, so I will either have to get off the bike and trigger the gate via the security keypad everytime, or get a green light trigger sooner than I may have expected. Is there any trigger that is better than the others, or are they all about equal?

Another observation I've made is that wind may be a factor for me. About half my drive is at speeds of 35 mph or less, but the other half is 55+. Couple that with the often prevalent Kansas winds of 20+ mph, some sort of wind deflection may be in order, eventually. I either feel like I'm trying to be pulled backward off the bike (riding into the wind) or I'm fighting to keep from weaving all over my lane (riding across the wind). I could see that there probably isn't much to do about the crosswind aspect, but it might be nice, especially if I get to use my Savage as I want to, to have some sort of front wind deflection.

Neither one of those items was initially near the top of my wish list, though. Such is life Smiley

With that said, however, I am very much enjoying getting to really ride where I want, when I want, rather than either with another licensed rider (IP) or round and round in circles (MSF course) Smiley.

Good weather and great riding to y'all Smiley

'96 maroon, 1.625
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: First (Real) Rides
Reply #1 - 06/14/06 at 17:11:03

don't bother with the triggers, they don't work.
i use the civil disobeidence technique when ever necessary. wait one cycle then go when clear.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #2 - 06/14/06 at 17:51:23

Hi!  I had to laugh reading your post - because I do the same thing:  Take my car to drop my young kids off down the street at the babysitter's, and then return home to switch to my bike.  Go to work and back, and then switch back to the car to pick up the kids.  Yet, I drive 50 miles each way to work.

Anyway, I have never had problems with traffic light triggers.  Maybe I've been lucky, or other cars are around me???  Or, perhaps in Ontario, the triggers are less difficult to operate with a little bike(?)

Also, I put a Memphis Shades windshield on my savage to block some of the wind = makes a big difference.  I don't like riding in high winds, but lately it doesn't seem to bother me as much.  I guess I'm more used to the bike and have more confidence in my abilities on it. Grin

Have fun riding!!!

Diane S

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/14/06 at 18:16:14

Aviler wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:

Couple that with the often prevalent Kansas winds of 20+ mph, some sort of wind deflection may be in order, eventually. I either feel like I'm trying to be pulled backward off the bike (riding into the wind) or I'm fighting to keep from weaving all over my lane (riding across the wind).

I live in a city that  averages 173 days a year with wind gusts greater than about 60 km/h. (About 35mph)  Windiest city in New Zealand and one of the windiest in the world.
Just this Monday I rode to work in 120K gusts. (70mph?)
I find gripping with my knees and relaxing my arms makes a huge difference. I ride to work every day - about 15k.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 06/14/06 at 18:43:44

Aviler wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
...induction triggered signals... green light triggers ....
Another observation I've made is that wind... pulled backward

The controllers for the green light triggers are adjustable for sensitivity.  If you find a trigger that does not respond to the Savage you should (1) run it unless it is controlling a gate and (2) notify the authority in charge of adjusting it.  I don't know about the the guys that maintain the signal controls, but I have been known to chastize my customers with "I can't fix if if you don't complain!"

The consensus in that "green light triggers" mainly work to take money from those who do not practice the above.  Even if they did work they do nothing to fix the actual problem.

The wind is an interesting subject.  You have many varibles between what you can tolerate, what you wish to tolerate, your speed, and the wind speed.  The push of the wind goes up with the square of the speed.  The wind at 65 mph has twice the force of that at 46 mph.

Many people find riding at 65 mph no problem with no wind protection other than goggles.  For others, such as myself, a tiny nine-inch flyscreen blocks just enough.  Others prefer more blockage provided by a larger screen, or even a full fairing.

Last month, coming home from the desert, I ran into a steady 20 mph headwind.  The windforce at 65 mph was 70% heavier and quite tiring, but 45 mph on I-10 was not a risk I cared to take.

WWW   IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 06/14/06 at 19:51:02

DianeS. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Anyway, I have never had problems with traffic light triggers.  Maybe I've been lucky, or other cars are around me???  Or, perhaps in Ontario, the triggers are less difficult to operate with a little bike(?)

Nope, traffic lights in Ontario suck also. There's one bad one about a block away from my house. I usually just make a right and take the long way home.  Grin

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/14/06 at 20:30:35

Try putting your kick stand down on the steel lines in the pavement some times that will do the trick!  Wink

IP Logged
Aviler

American Rebel
Dragon Pirate

McPherson, KS
Reply #7 - 06/15/06 at 06:10:37

The only trigger I will have to deal with on a regular basis is the gate at work, and that does have a keypad override I can use, awkward though it is seeing as I have to get off my bike to use it. I'll see if I can find out who I need to call about the induction loop sensitivity on the traffic lights. I may try the kickstand thing at some point in time, but, seeing as that shuts the engine off, that is not an acceptable long-term solution. The green light triggers also appear to be cheap enough that I may get one to try out, at some point in time, but they will go more towards the bottom of my wish/want/need list.

The wind doesn't bother me so much on my short jaunts to work and back, but it could get rather wearing on me when I take it on extended highway trips. As I become more used to riding, it may be less of a factor as well.

Thank you guys and gals for your comments and input.

'96 maroon, 1.625
WWW   IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #8 - 06/15/06 at 06:22:33

Ditto hugging with the knees and relaxing with the arms.  Using the throttle to push against the wind.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 06/15/06 at 08:04:50

Try stopping on the induction wire that controls the gate, turning the bike off and restarting it. The extra magnetic field thrown out by the starter should be enough to trigger the control. If that doesn't work then civil disobeidence is the way to go.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/15/06 at 08:32:30

Great to read all these responses... here's my .02: State by state, laws are changing to allow motorcycles to turn or re-start when they try, and fail, to trip the signal. The current American Motorcyclist magazine has a list of these states.

I recently picked up a National Cycle #125A windshield (discussed elsewhere here). Great fit and finish, made in USA, installed easily. But - a bit small for everyday high-speed riding. If you purchase a fairing, you MAY want more coverage.

I used to ride in crosswinds on the central California coast (lived in Santa Cruz for years). They're kinda fun!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:33:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First (Real) Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.