Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork Brace Project complete (Read 8 times)
The Newstrums
Ex Member

Fork Brace Project complete
06/12/06 at 21:42:24

Hey!  Got the call about a week back from Tkat, the Fork Brace Guy that was contacted from here several months ago, that the actual fork clamps were done! Picked them up, came home, tried them, and   perfect!  He finished the cross brace itself on Sunday, and it bolted on perfectly.  Pretty exciting that I have the first one he made on the bike!Roll Eyes

The little black plastic piece is not used, mostly to simplify the setup, limiting dirt and muck from collecting in the fork brace.  Everything goes together smoothly, and as you can see in the third picture, a perfect fit. When I went to bolt it together, I almost didn't think the fork clamps were going to fit.  But he machined them within a(as he told me later on) 10,000ths tolerance.  Awesome fit.  And a slight lip on the inner top to match the top of the fork tube where the seal sits.  Very nice.  Easy setup.  Bolted it up loose to square it up and tightened.  Easy.  I tried to take pictures to show where it meets the rubber seal, and the clearances he made for the fender and such.  

On the road, I tried some nice and twisties not too far from me (Bay Area, easy find) before and after.  Obvious difference for a positive feel.  Not as loose.  I've never tried a  Superbrace, but I would hope that it would make the bike feel like this.  It is easy for me to rave about it, since it is my wife's bike (and I am much taller than her) and I just want to set up her bike better all the time.  Since I am oversize on it (6'1") it doesn't take much for me to get the suspension and frame movin'.  Definitely an upgrade.  

Thanks again to the members here that helped make this happen.  I liked this brace so much, I ended up buying one for my bike, a 79' KZ1000LTD.  Really heavy, really fast.  Night and day difference with it on.  (I didn't realize my forks were that flimsy!)  

To get one contact Tkat at tkat.com.  $85 seems like a bargain.  Helluva nice guy.  

Thanks again.Grin

Ethan and Sarah Newstrum

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Fork Brace Project complete
Reply #1 - 06/13/06 at 00:40:49

8) Really, really nice ... and with the Superbrace at over $100, 85 clams for this one is a bargain!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 06/13/06 at 05:05:57

Now for a good polishing job and it will look better than the Superbrace. And for that price , a real bargain. Whis he made them earlier, would have saves me lots of $$$$$.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 06/14/06 at 16:30:00

sooo, is tkat ready for orders, or is there some more product development yet to be done?

IP Logged
The Newstrums
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/14/06 at 20:46:39

Yes, I believe he is ready for orders.  Please contact him if you are interested.  There was only the problem of how to keep the dirt and stuff from collecting around the seal.  He solved that, and now it's ready.  He handed me a set, and made another for himself to stock.  I am sure he will make more on request.  

I will be polishing mine.  Both of them.  

e

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 06/14/06 at 20:52:19

Well I contacted him and he said he doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about Angry I gave him the year and make(just like your--05 Suzuki S40) and he said to ask you for the dimensions  Shocked Maybe I am talking to the wrong guy then  ??? Do you have the guy's phone number?

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
The Newstrums
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/14/06 at 20:58:29

I'll call him tomorrow to verify, but I believe that the clamps are 61mm and a 91mm cross brace.  Maybe.  I'll let you know tomorrow.

???

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 06/15/06 at 01:55:35

That brace is one good looking piece of engineering.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
The Newstrums
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/15/06 at 16:24:17

Yeah, I called him.  Since he was first contacted by the members of suzukisavage.com, he didn't know that an LS650 is also an S40.  Funny.

His number is 408-980-8880, feel free to give him a call.  He is  looking forward to it.  Sorry about the confusion.

e

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:22:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Brace Project complete

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.