Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passing lamps (Read 4 times)
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Passing lamps
06/11/06 at 08:06:56

It appears that having dual 35w passing lamps is a little too much for the alternator or mine is not putting out enough amperage.
Battery is fine with passing lamps if I'm mainly highway, but in Seattle traffic when I stop and go to start again the battery is definitely struggling.
It took me awhile to find out because my decompression solenoid was not working, so I wasn't sure how much drain that was putting on the battery during start-up.
I have a feeling it's not just my bike, but if anyone has any input on the subject it is always appreciated.  8)

Thanks,

Kev

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Passing lamps
Reply #1 - 06/11/06 at 11:27:56

Goose hasn't posted since last year, but he has full frontal lighting and a webpage with an e-mail address:

http://www.geocities.com/toadie32000/

WWW   IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #2 - 06/11/06 at 16:54:35

This seems to seal the debate I've had with myself for so long...whether I should do a dual 55w headlight of some sort.

If you were running 55w main plus two 35w passing lights and it didn't drain you out on the highway, that's a total of 125w of light. Two 55s would come out to 110w of light-- less than you were running.

I have the idea to wire it like the Euro bikes. One for dim, two for high. I only use my high beam at speed on the highway, anyway. Once a week, at that. (Work Saturday nights late, otherwise I come home at or before dusk.)

Whatchyou think?

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 06/12/06 at 07:31:20

06 s40.....i have a pair of 25w small halogens run thru a relay with an over ride switch and seperate fused circuit to battery, the coil of the relay is wired to the low beam on my headlight(35/65 xenon)the halogens are only on with low beam and when starting they cut off with headlight..the 06 has a passing switch (momentary contact)when pressed ,lights up the high beam filiment while low beam stays on..have had no battery issues..
you may try checking the specific gravity of your battery it may be aged..theres a post here somewhere on how to meter your alternator output.. good luck..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/13/06 at 11:20:14

Thanks for replies. I just have to check my alt. output I suppose. Been lazy though, been riding her, not working on her.

Kev

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:30:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Passing lamps

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.