Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drilling a baffle (Read 2 times)
HotCarl
Ex Member

Drilling a baffle
06/10/06 at 20:48:45

So I'm about to drill the baffle on a dyna muffler. Which do you think would produce a deeper, less raspy tone: 3 or 4 smaller holes (11/32 or below) or one big one (3/4). Or would make any difference?

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Re: Drilling a baffle
Reply #1 - 06/11/06 at 13:27:57

I would not drill it, LOUD PIPES JUST MAKE PEOPLE HATE BIKERS! Shocked

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #2 - 06/11/06 at 18:36:52

Keith_B wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
  I would not drill it, LOUD PIPES JUST MAKE PEOPLE HATE BIKERS! Shocked

Yea I just hate to hear my bike fire up in the morning. The straight pipe brings me to the point of insanity. Hate myself, love myself, touch myself. It gets so confusing! Grin

What makes people hate bikers is bikers. The way you act on the road. Polite, defensive riders usually have no negative results from their exhaust. If you're out there tearing up the roads like you are the only one there it wont matter what pipes you have. You're gonna give us all a bad name. Don't belive it? When is the last time you saw a GSX-R tearing down the road pissing people off? Was it the volume of the pipe you noticed? If volume of the pipe determined how the motorcyclist was perceived you could pull a wheelie on a stock Savage going down the interstate @ 80mph and nobody would even notice.

Loud pipes are not going to kill my wife or kids as they go to school. Some idiot trying to show how "good" he can ride as he passes in curves and rides wheelies on public roads on the other hand might. And I'm not picking on any one group in particular. I'm just making a point.

You want to set a positive example? Show some respect for the other guy. Cage, Bike, Semi,  no matter what they are driving they will think better of you/us as a whole from a simple act of kindness before they ever worry about how loud your bike is.

Drill the pipe if you want. It's your bike.  

My opinion, Don't leave anything but the chrome, and then paint that black! Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/11/06 at 20:44:40

You are right Steelwolf!    But, Loud pipes is just one more thing folks can add to there list!  Hotcarl, like the man said it's your bike. Wink

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/12/06 at 06:42:00

I agree that it is your own bike and you can do whatever you want to make it your own.

However, I do have to say that very loud pipes do annoy people separately from the way some bikers drive. Although they are related.

In the warm weather, I keep the front door of my store open. Whenever a bike with a combination of very loud pipes and a driver who accelerates quickly away from the stop sign  goes by, I see the expressions of annoyance on my customers faces.

A pipe that is just as loud, with a slower acceleration doesn't draw the same reaction - primarily because the decibel level is lower.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 06/12/06 at 07:09:19

HotCarl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
So I'm about to drill the baffle on a dyna muffler. Which do you think would produce a deeper, less raspy tone: 3 or 4 smaller holes (11/32 or below) or one big one (3/4). Or would make any difference?

start small and work up the larger the hole the louder/raspier  the sound....
neighbors b.f. has an ironhorse chopper with 12" drag pipes hes an annoying rider as he backs down the driveway when he comes to visit he keeps goosing the throttle then for good measure one more good rapp at shut down.....thats annoying our houses are only a driveway apart...told him he spanks his monkey too much he just says thank you!!
luughed at him the other day he was gettin on his bike and puttin ear plugs in(no helmet law state)now thats TOO loud!!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #6 - 06/12/06 at 07:41:51

3/4 inch hole in my baffle. Not annoyingly loud, but bike breathes better.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/12/06 at 12:32:55

I put a 3/8 inch hole in the baffle and it sounds pretty good, might put one more. I wish i could find a muffler that had a nice low rumble, instead of a raspy "put-put". I had a hollowed out sporster, and the tone was great, but much too loud. I looking for tone, not really volume. I thought i read somewhere that there are mufflers designed with a bunch of chambers that produce a low tone.. but I don't know where to get them or if that's even true.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #8 - 06/12/06 at 15:37:42

Ok, ok, ok. I do agree "obnoxiously" loud pipes, being filled with "wring the grip off" throttle are a pain in the @ss for all of us. And yes if you have to wear ear plugs to ride they are way too loud. But my point is still the same. The loud pipes are mostly overlooked as long as the rider is respectfull. If the bike is being ridden in a manner to bring the db level to it's max then it's the rider not being respectfull that's the problem. Not the pipes. Modest acceleration/deceleration and avoiding that annoying "blip" at the stoplights will keep even the loudest of pipes tamed. Loud when you want/need to be and tolerable when not, but always curteous.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:25:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drilling a baffle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.