Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mobil 1 (15,000 mile extended use) (Read 6 times)
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Mobil 1 (15,000 mile extended use)
06/10/06 at 18:37:35

Has anyone tried a crankcase of 5w 30 Mobil 1 EXTENDED in their Savage yet?  

Curious for a report on all the extra stuff they put in the oil -- it looks off-white milky from all the extra stuff they put in it.   I have read past reports saying Mobil 1 synthetics is good to go on the wet clutch on the Savage but I am wondering now about the extra materials they put in the EXTENDED version ....

Oldfeller

IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Re: Mobil 1 (15,000 mile extended use)
Reply #1 - 06/11/06 at 09:29:55

I'm a bike newbie, but I've been wrenching on cars and other stuff for a lot of years, and I've read up some on oils. From what I can tell, anything that has the 'energy saving' star is the wrong oil for a bike that has wet clutches. That energy saving additive is a friction modifier that messes up the clutch action. You won't find a 10W-40 oil that shows that star (least I've not seen one) so that may be the reason they use it. Myself, I've heard a lot of good things about Rotella T 15w-40 in bikes. It's a diesel oil, so it has more zinc anti wear than car oils do (zinc fouls cat convertors, so it's a no-no in car oil) and it has more ability to neutralize acids and contamination, both of which are common in bike engines.  No way would I go extended drain intervals in a bike- a couple thousand miles IF I got lazy maybe, but oil and filters are cheap. Contamination is the problem, not how the oil holds up.....

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/11/06 at 12:27:06

Ah, that's the rub -- the Mobil 1 EXTENDED doesn't have an energy star and it makes no claims for "extra anti-friction additive protectants" or claim any other sort of slickness additive packages.  All they admit to is adding 50% more of their "SuperSyn" additive which is intended for supporting the longer service drain intervals.

What it does claim is "excellent engine cleanliness and wear protection in high temperature conditions and during longer drain intervals".

One is tempted to say that it is just Mobil 1 with extra oil service life additives (but I certainly don't know enough to make any claims for it, that's why I was asking the group if anyone had used it yet and did you get any clutch reactions to it?)

As far as long drainage intervals go, I doubt I'd put 5,000 miles on my thumper in a year but I'd likely want to change my oil and my filter every spring irregardless.  

I do like the thought of being relatively heat-proof with my motor oil as cooking a crankcase of oil on a long upgrade in the NC mountains killed a Ford for me many years ago (and started my total preference for synthetic oils from that point forward).

Synthetics don't break down all that easily anyway -- if blow by makes your oil get dark and you have an additive package that can support a V8 for 15,000 miles, should you have to worry that your 650 cc single cylinder's oil is dark?  

What sort of particle size does the EMCO oil filter remove from the oil anyway?

Oldfeller

P.S. here's a 3rd party test of the stuff -- interesting.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/11/06 at 19:12:44

Just started using Mobil-1 15w-50 in the Savage.  Have always run a synthetic (Royal Purple) in my two F-body brackket racers.

After filling up with Mobil-1 the engine ran much quiter than ever, the transmission shifted smoother and quicker than ever. I decided to run some tests on it and found an increase in rear wheel horsepower of almost 2 and with 5 runs down the 1/4 mile strip reduced the ET at the average by a full 3/4 second. I think most of the increased performance came from the fact that clutch slipage is now almost non-existent and the transmission shifts quickly.

I am not pushing this stuff, as a matter of fact I would not have even tried it except that it was given to me, so what the heck.  It will be interesting to see how the Mobil-1 holds up over time.

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/11/06 at 20:57:27

Hey Red
Did you run the Savage at No Problem Raceway?

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/12/06 at 09:41:44

Quote:
Did you run the Savage at No Problem Raceway?

... have driven at No Problem before, but not this time.  Testing was done in Hattisburg.

IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/12/06 at 13:24:17

Cool, I live just north of B.R., been down there a few times.
I saw the (LET THE GOOD TIME ROLL) !  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:36:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mobil 1 (15,000 mile extended use)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.