Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oops... (Read 9 times)
Veritas
Ex Member

Oops...
06/10/06 at 16:44:04

So yeah, I picked up my new S40 yesterday and I love her.  Unfortunately, in my first 2 miles, I dropped her.  Nothing serious.  It was my first time ever on a bike and I was in the graveyard (seems fitting, eh?) across from the dealer learning myself to ride when I swung out on a left turn too wide and rolled into the grass, slipping out and falling on her left side.  Quick check: Nothing broken.  Loose rear view.  No biggie.  Uh oh, the left turn signal has pivoted a bit.

How do I fix it!!!???

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Oops...
Reply #1 - 06/10/06 at 16:59:07

Veritas wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
So yeah, I picked up my new S40 yesterday and I love her.  Unfortunately, in my first 2 miles, I dropped her.  Nothing serious.  It was my first time ever on a bike and I was in the graveyard (seems fitting, eh?) across from the dealer learning myself to ride when I swung out on a left turn too wide and rolled into the grass, slipping out and falling on her left side.  Quick check: Nothing broken.  Loose rear view.  No biggie.  Uh oh, the left turn signal has pivoted a bit.

How do I fix it!!!???

The turn signals on these bikes are not the best quality. You make be able to adjust and tighten or you may have to replace it with better quality turn signals. May we never speak of laying a bike down again.  

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 06/10/06 at 17:25:30

i swing the other way,  drop it a few times, gives it character. i know mines got lots of "character".  Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/10/06 at 17:33:11

may i suggest a rider course for you?

nothing against ya but to buy a brand new bike and never ridden doesnt seem to make sense.

the the msc in your local area........

and hey.......be careful!

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #4 - 06/10/06 at 17:37:33

Mine had just the right amount of "character" when I bought it. It doesn't need anymore. The 36 whatever it was bucks @ the stealership to replace that stupid little foot peg rod was enough for me. If I'm spending money I want it to be for something tacky that I found on ebay. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/10/06 at 17:54:04

I will be taking the course very soon.  I've already ridden 150 miles since yesterday and that was mostly in steady rain on highways, with a little side road action.  I am already feeling extremely comfortable and at home on the bike.  

It seems I am fairly good when it comes to things that go.  I bought my last cage, a mustang gt 5 speed without ever driving a stick before.  Put it right on the highway after i signed the papers and drove it the 20 miles from the dealership right to my driveway with no issues, not even stalling her.

I did the same with the bike.  Learned where everything was and how to do what I had to do in the graveyard and then drove it the 20 miles home.  No stalling, no problems.  You know what they say:  2 kinds of bikers.  Ones that have dropped thier bikes and ones that will.  Well, I can now say I have my fall behind me, right off the bat.

But seriously, the course will be taken. Soon...

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/10/06 at 17:57:44

I see your point, but im thinkin that a car is more forgiving if you make a mistake than a motorcycle.

Im glad that you will take the course....

I dropped mine too, softly, kickstand on ground that was softer than i realized me and the bike tipped over to the left.

had her up again quickly, no scratches but the mirror loosened, needed to tighten it up again.

I dont understand the logic in riding so many miles without much experience in the rain??? of all things...

Please be careful!

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/10/06 at 18:23:59

Well, I wasn't expecting to have to ride in the rain.  I was hoping to stay where I went till tomorrow, but I had to come home this morning when it was raining.  Good thing it was early on a Saturday morning so there weren't many people and I was able to go at an easy pace with no problem.  So, it was more out of necessity this morning, 65 miles, than something I wanted to do.

Ok, truth time.  I went up to New Hampshire to show my girlfriend my new mistress and stay the weekend, and she decided she didn't want to be with someone who rides.  So, she dumped me.  I didn't feel like sleeping on the street tonight so I went home.  I knew I shoulda called her first.  Shocked

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #8 - 06/10/06 at 20:14:17

Veritas wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Well, I wasn't expecting to have to ride in the rain.  I was hoping to stay where I went till tomorrow, but I had to come home this morning when it was raining.  Good thing it was early on a Saturday morning so there weren't many people and I was able to go at an easy pace with no problem.  So, it was more out of necessity this morning, 65 miles, than something I wanted to do.

Ok, truth time.  I went up to New Hampshire to show my girlfriend my new mistress and stay the weekend, and she decided she didn't want to be with someone who rides.  So, she dumped me.  I didn't feel like sleeping on the street tonight so I went home.  I knew I shoulda called her first.  Shocked

Bit*ch defined.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/10/06 at 22:36:48

Three quick rules for the newbie rider.  

!. Use the front brake.  It's the one that stops the bike. (make it a habit)

B.  Use the handlebars.  Pull right,  go left.  Pull left , go right.  (It's a physics thing).  (ditto)

3.  No one see's you,  no matter how cool you look.  If they're in a cage, they don't see you!

Cutie at the bus stop see's you, kid on the skateboard see's you,  cages are busy on the cell wondering what's for dinner.

Make the first two habit and assume the third, then enjoy the ride.

I love it, hope you do to!
35 years riding, touch wood!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/11/06 at 00:35:12

You said it Brew!

serowbot, I can't seem to get the hang of the rear brake yet so all I've been using is the *squeaky!* front brake.

For those of you concerned, I know it doesn't account for real experience, but before I picked up this bike, I reasearched for about 3 months.  I must have read every trick, tip and article about motorcycle riding.  Threw out the bad crap and analyzed the good.  No, not actual riding, but I seem to be able to wrap my head around a concept really well if I read how it all works, then put it to practice.  That's how I was able to ride it home safely with no lessons, and how I was able to get to the ex's house and back, (the trip back with a big smile  Grin) without a problem.

So, about my turn signal... I can barely get in there to loosen that nut.  Any tips?

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #11 - 06/11/06 at 13:19:31

I have a 2000 savage, so I don't know if the turn signals are different.  It seems to me that you have to undo the screw in the post thingy that the light is attached too.  That shouldn't be hard to access???

You should be using both brakes together, but the front brake does do the most stopping.   I also tend to downshift through the gears, so that unless it's a sudden stop, my speed is low when I do have to apply the brakes.

Anyway, congrats. the new bike.  Just beware that your confidence doesn't exceed your ability to handle the bike.  I know that I can get a bit "show-offy" when I ride in front of my peers - and yet I have to watch it too - because I've only ridden since November.
(I've always been a bit of a daredevil, so I have to curb my desire to push the limit).  

I have read that most accidents tend to occur after someone has ridden about 6 month or so (something like that???) because they've gotten a fresh boost of confidence and now take chances - that they maybe aren't quite ready for.

Drive safe!!!

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/11/06 at 13:59:50

Thanks Diane.  Fixed the signal.  No showing off for me.  I'm being very conservative with my riding.  If I wanted to show off, I'd have bought a sport bike.  This bike is for my enjoyment only.  Other people can shove it!  Grin

darn brass plug!  I don't have the strew to get to it!  Think its possible to just drill the whole darn thing to a powder without destroying the screw?

I hope I'm hitting the right brass plug.  Mine already had a tiny hole through it.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #13 - 06/11/06 at 14:06:52

Check in the tech section, because somewhere on this site are pics that show exactly where the little brass plug etc. is.  (Probably under carb mods, or white-spacer mods)

I found mine on my bike and the plug was already off - guess from a previous owner.  Anyway, check out the pics 'cause I'd hate for you to drill out the wrong plug.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/11/06 at 16:16:05

I found the right plug, but I'm having a hard time removing it without the right tools.  I have a weak excuse for a drill, and my Dremel drill wont do it.  Also, I just dont have the right kind of screw to pull the sucker out with...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:24:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oops...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.