Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Saddlebag install (Read 6 times)
WKD
Ex Member

Saddlebag install
06/09/06 at 13:59:01

Hi guys (and gals  Wink)  Question for all...

I just got a set of Suzuki saddle bag brackets at the shop I go to and was wondering how difficult it is to install them.  My thinking is take the bike there install them in the parking lot and then try on some saddle bags to get a good fit.  If I find something I like I can ride out of there with them installed  Grin.

I am kind of a visual guy, I like pictures when I work on mechanical things but I can't find any good diagrams to show me what I am getting into.

Any advice/pitfalls would be appreciated, my bike is an '86 Savage if that matters.  The guys at the shop say it shouldn't be a big deal to install them but if it is better to do in my garage than the parking lot there I would like to know.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Re: Saddlebag install
Reply #1 - 06/09/06 at 15:09:15

My saddle bag brackets go on screws that also go through the side rails and rear bumper.  So, as long as you can access the screws and bolts easily, it shoudn't be too onorous a task.  You'd have to get your tools up between the tire and fender to do this.  Of course, if the tire is off, it's a lot easier.

I had the shop put mine on, but since then my husband and I stripped the bike apart to paint it.  

Diane S

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #2 - 06/09/06 at 15:25:13

I did mine by jacking up the bike and getting the rear wheel off the ground then it is easy to get your arm in and take off the bolts. do not have pics wife's camara is not working right Sad

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 06/09/06 at 16:49:06

Do it at home in the garage Wink If you are frustrated or having difficulty, you just walk away, have a beer and come back to it later on Grin I put on my bracket with the bike on its own side stand; but I have small hand and my Savage is an 05 so the setup might be different.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
LeeRider
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/09/06 at 18:25:34

From some descriptions of the installations,  I thought it would be harder than it really was.  On my 2000 Savage, I used a 3/8" ratchet wrench with a 10mm (I think it was 10mm) socket.  To access the bolts, I didn't need to jack up the bike or remove the tire.    

With wrench in hand, I simply inserted my arm between the fender and tire, from the REAR of the fender opening.  My arm was resting front to back along the top of the tire while loosening/tightening the bolts.  Any decent fine-click ratchet will work fine.   When installing the left side support bolts, I inserted my right arm.   When installing the right side one, I inserted my left arm below the fender.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 06/10/06 at 04:56:44

save youself some serious time and strain by removing licence plate bracket 1st ! then you can access inside of fender rail bolts easily

IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/11/06 at 13:17:35

Thanks all, yeah taking the license plate off was a big help, of course I figured that out once I got over to the left side Tongue and also the front replcement bolt was too long so I had to make a run to home depot.

Now a new problem, they rub.  Any ideas?  I am a fair size person (225lbs) so it is mainly when I am riding over bumps that I hear it.  Am I gonna have to put on larger/taller shocks?  It is mainly the left side but I did notice a slight mark on the right (probably from the big bump I hit last ride) so I don't think fiddling with centering the tire will do much.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #7 - 06/11/06 at 13:25:43

I'd get shorter screws, because I wouldn't want to chance damaging the tires - since I just put new ones on.

My bolts clear the tire - but I'm only 150 lbs too.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/11/06 at 15:15:18

do you have the saddle bag supports underneath the saddle bags?

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/11/06 at 15:16:12

oh geez sorry that was stupid...........

of course you put them on........hee hee hee

the metal is rubbing? or the bags?

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/11/06 at 16:15:35

I just used two wrecnches when I did mine.  kinda tight but not too much trouble.  Use ur sense of touch not sight.

use a finger to find the bolt and put a wrench.  hold wrench and use rachet on the outside nut.

pretty easy Smiley

just remember righty tighty and left lucy.

IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/11/06 at 18:17:29

Yes the supports I have on, and that's what I think is rubbing.  I don't have bags on them yet.  I had the wife stand behind them and look for daylight while I jumped on the shocks...Pretty high tech huh Roll Eyes.  Any way she says that the brackets were clearing but of course that doesn't account for wheel deformation while you are in motion and turning.  

I guess I'll play it by ear, if it was a real problem I imagine I would have had issues on that 45 minute ride I took.

IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/11/06 at 19:02:44

I just read another thread and it was saying that the 140/90 tires stick more than half an inch higher up into the fender than 140/80's do.  As it happens that is the size I have, anybody else running 140/90's with saddlebags??

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/11/06 at 19:24:45

Quote:
As it happens that is the size I have, anybody else running 140/90's with saddlebags??

I am using the 140/90 on the rear and switched shocks to 12.5" Progressives to get the clearance I wanted. I think the 12.5"s are at the upper limit of what is acceptable, but 12" should be perfect.

You can also get minimal clearance by changeing the preload on the standard shocks to their highest (harshest) setting. You could also change the mounting bolts to ones with shorter and rounded heads. However, it is my experience with this one Savage that the real way to solve the problem with that size tire is to go to taller shocks.

IP Logged
WKD
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/11/06 at 19:48:38

Hmmm that's what I thought.  Now I found this link for Progressives (which were in my future anyway).

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdf/7100-105.pdf

I was looking at the 12" shocks (right now mine measure 10.5" c to c resting on the kickstand) and I was wondering about the rate lbs/inch rating.  Am I correct in thinking that you want something in your weight range for that?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:28:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddlebag install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.