Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbies Unite Here! (Read 11 times)
ThomWill
Ex Member

Re: Newbies Unite Here!
Reply #30 - 07/24/06 at 17:35:50

Just bought a 2005 LS650 (S40) over the weekend.  After 20 years of begging, my wife finally caved (THANK YOU OPEC)!!!!.  After getting tag and insurance (not in that order) handled today, I have just returned triumphantly from a 20 mile easy break in (me, not the bike) cruise.

This will take some more easy practice rides, but my body seems to remember how to do this.

Just FILLED my tank for under $5.  I am loving life!!!!

ThomWill

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #31 - 07/25/06 at 06:46:57

Congratulations and welcome!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Brendan
YaBB Newbies

Canberra, Australia
Reply #32 - 07/27/06 at 02:19:57

Yeah I am a newb too and like yourself I cut my teeth making go karts etc at home.  My final and fave project was a two wheeled scooter to which I mounted a 160cc two stroke lawn mower motor.  The motors stock have 3.5 hp and are governed to only rev to 3600 rpm.  I took to my victa motor with a die grinder and ported it, upped the compression, ran an open exaust, modded the carb including jetting for methanol and the result was a motor that would rev to 6000 rpm.  Top speed was only 60kmh but you could pull a mono at any speed and it blew flames out the pipe at full throttle! (at night).  The noise was incredible.

1986 Savage, 2001 YZ250 (what a bike)
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #33 - 07/27/06 at 05:45:23

JerryAssburger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Hey Everybody!
    I have a question- I did the above named mods to my bike, drove 2 tankfulls through it to work, and I'm averaging between 48-50 mpg with what feels like a bit of a flat spot at 1/4th throttle at light cruise. I can make it to 100 miles before reserve.
    My drive to work is down the Florence Hwy 79 at 65mph for 35 miles straight- mild hill or 2.... Is this somewhere on target with what I should be getting? I DON'T hotrod it or anything, I'm trying to baby it until my trip to Colorado and back- don't need to bust anything. What do you think?
For a ride like that, the mileage does seem a little low. I'd check tire pressure, spark plug (check color for jetting, may be a little rich) & air filter may need replacing.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:28:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbies Unite Here!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.