Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbies Unite Here! (Read 11 times)
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Re: Newbies Unite Here!
Reply #15 - 06/15/06 at 06:25:13

Whotta fun site! Whaotta fun bike! This is exactly what I was looking for in a bike! THX for all the welcomes! I still have done nothing to the bike except change out the oil for Rotella-T 15-40w synthetic. NO clutch slippage at all, and it seems to run a bit quieter/smoother. Here is picture. Hope this works. Next up, the white spacer thingy.....

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 06/15/06 at 06:44:38

Wow! Though a bit unrelated, I'm learning the image plops in much better it it's 450 pixels long or greater.
This is what my avatar is supposed to look like...

...I'm going to stick with my "FoodBucket BlockHead Logo" instead.

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/23/06 at 13:20:47

Okay fellow Newbies.... here's a new find:
I finally got into the carb of my 95, in preparation for the S.E.2 pipe. Someone had already done the white-spacer mod, but used two #4 LOCKWASHERS as the spacers. Now, not knowing how thick the white spacer was, but knowing full well that a lockwasher is a lot thicker than a flat washer, I removed one of the lockwashers and put it all back together, not expecting much. OOOooooweeeee! NOW I know what you folks are talking about, as far as how hard these things will pull at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle! I still haven't gotten into the main yet, but I'm pretty happy now. I'll have to wait to pull my welder out for the pipe, but I know it'll work good now.

Lesson: If I were Mr. DoTheWhiteSpacerModGuy, I would merely shave the white spacer to half-thickness and leave the washers out. It costs nothing, and you stand no chance of it binding in the needle bore. NO LOCKWASHERS!
*whew* ...okay, I'm off my toolbox now.

New Miller Beer Comercial!!  
"Mr. DoTheWhiteSpacerModGuy" !!!!

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/23/06 at 14:09:51

Okay- last post today. Sorry!
I just wanted to warn others about this site. You will spend HOURS looking up every nut and bolt of a Savage, and chasing every thread to its end. You'll love every minute of it... and you might learn a thing or two.(Fat Albert quote.)
Now where did all the time go.....? ???

Here is a picture of a creation I did about 3 years ago.... It's made of 1/2 bike, a dining room chair, two wheel-barrow wheels and some scrap metal. It was my version of an "Adult Big Wheel" and it'll do 47mph on the flat with the old 5hp B/S engine you see on it. I'm going to put an 8hp B/S with torque converter on it someday.  Very comfy and it corners great! Now that's a Ratter!

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #19 - 06/23/06 at 17:19:50

...and after the 8hp B&S, just adapt it to mount a Savage motor. Can you imagine that!

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 06/26/06 at 15:06:51

Here's an update. And a request.... Although my bike now pulls really well now, my mileage has dropped to sub-40mpg!!!! I didn't think it was possible, but it is. So, I'm going to quit being such a cheap Bas%#d and go buy some allen head screws and some #4 or 3/32" washers from Home Depot.
Here's the request: I have NO IDEA what the stock thickness or height of the infamous White- Spacer, so I'm not to sure what 1/2 or 2/3 would be. Some have posted that they use 2 or 3 washers on the needle, but I'm not too sure of the "uniform" thickness of Home Depot washers. At this point, I'm willing to just slap 2 washers in there and try it. My mileage is horrible. Only a little black smoke once in a while. Also, it kind of has a sort of bog right before full throttle. I'm going to completely pull the carb and check out the jets.. etc. THX for all your help!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 06/26/06 at 15:36:52

The stock white spacer measures 0.10", that's one tenth of one inch thick.  I replaced it with a teflon/plastic #4 washer from Ace hardware.  They come in white or black and measure 0.065" or about 2/3 of stock.  I bought 3 and they all measure the same.
 Hope that's of help to some.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #22 - 06/26/06 at 15:56:56

I'm running two #4 washers which is 2/3 of the thickness of the white spacer, works great but had to turn the outside of the washers down with a drill and emery paper. Luck and have fun with it.
 What type of carb do you have on the Briggs, it don't look stock to me Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 06/26/06 at 19:58:49

Oh no... Don't get me started on the BigWheel, or it'll be a whole new forum!..... Roll Eyes

THX for the info on the spacer thing. I'm attacking it tomorrow.

Okay- the Briggs is from Goodwill, and the original carb had a worn out (loose) throttle shaft.... desparate to go riding on my day off, I threw a FlowJet carb from a 3hp briggs on it, and bungied the gas tank to the top of the seat. It worked pretty good, but hitting bumps and cornering seemed to cause the carb to do weird things....

Since then, I found another VacuJet carb (original type) for it and got rid of the UberCustom fuel tank set up. The muffler is different also. It has to extend pretty far back, otherwise the exhaust heat curls back up behind you at speed. Since then, I've welded an exhaust tip from a VW beetle onto a pipe and screwed that into the engine, and it flows good and sounds meatier than the Savage does (for now!) Sort of a mini glass-pack for Briggs!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 06/27/06 at 04:34:31

Dude, I like the way you think ... you are a fellow TINKERER  !   Grin

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 06/28/06 at 22:45:16

Cool! THX for the complement! I love to tinker with stuff;( everything (including the Suzi) is on hold right now until we finish our move. First up is the fixing the carb. Somehow, I over-richened it.....

When the dust has settled, I'll post a picture of the various projects lined up together. Here's a teaser.....

...powered by a B/S 2hp, of course!

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 07/20/06 at 09:50:44

I'm baaaaack! Here's the latest: Pulled carb. Put 3 regular washers in it (.07") Hope it works. Replaced the 145 main jet with a 152.5. Did the snorkle thing. Replacing stock muff with S.E. 2 touring muffler. (LOUD!). I'm also welding up a luggage rack to replace the rear seat/sissy bar. Gotta go out and finish it.

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 07/20/06 at 21:00:15

Hey all-
Finished the"mods" and everything turned out pretty good. The bike now has single seat w/ luggage rack. 7/10ths spacer. (Had to choose between .0466" or .0700" spacer distance), put a 152.5 main jet in, and that screaming eagle touring pipe. As soon as I can find my camera, I'll post some pix. Buzzed up and down the street  on it a couple of times, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to really wring it out. Word of warning: That SE. pipe goes on EASY- all I did was trim 1" from the inlet, bend and hold the pipe where I wanted it, and then tack-weld the bottom of it to the mount; even the stock muffler clamp cover fit, and it looks matched to the pipe. The bad part? It's LOUD! I mean, its sneak past your neighbors on idle loud! But if that what you want, I definitly recommend it as an EASY mod.

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 07/21/06 at 08:27:30

As promised, my 95 now Assburgered with a luggage rack, single seat, and SE touring muffler.

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 07/24/06 at 15:59:49

Hey Everybody!
    I have a question- I did the above named mods to my bike, drove 2 tankfulls through it to work, and I'm averaging between 48-50 mpg with what feels like a bit of a flat spot at 1/4th throttle at light cruise. I can make it to 100 miles before reserve.
    My drive to work is down the Florence Hwy 79 at 65mph for 35 miles straight- mild hill or 2.... Is this somewhere on target with what I should be getting? I DON'T hotrod it or anything, I'm trying to baby it until my trip to Colorado and back- don't need to bust anything. What do you think?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:35:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbies Unite Here!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.