Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbies Unite Here! (Read 11 times)
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Newbies Unite Here!
06/08/06 at 05:53:15

Well- I'm a Suzuki LS650 newbie. Just bought a '95 and have had it for 3 days now. Love it! It's as light as my old CB350 and as fast as my old XS650! It only has had the brass plug fixed on the carb; no other modifications that I know of. What fun! I'll be digging into the carb for the recommended mods, and already have a S.E. 30" muffler coming in from ebay. Going to check the valve clearances too; sounds kind of "tappy"... but since I don't know what a new Savage sounds like, it's hard to tell....? Functionally, the only thing I think I'd want to change would be a tripmeter of some sort and a bigger tank. I remember the Chopper Guys in the 60's used to build their own. If I can locate any of those articles, I'll post them. Meanwhile, I greatly appreciate  this forum.... VERY informative and a great tool. I also think the LS650 is a great little secret. Dependable,light fast enough, good mileage, stylish and cheap to buy. When was the last time you heard those terms describe a single motorcycle? Okay, I've blabbed enough about my new ride/experience... let's hear from the other newbies!

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: Newbies Unite Here!
Reply #1 - 06/08/06 at 06:06:46

Welcome Newbies !!  Enjoy the ride,   Here as well as on your Savage....

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 06/08/06 at 07:00:13

Aye, welcome aboard!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
MISS_SALLY
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/08/06 at 09:55:01

Jerry
WELCOME to SAVAGE WORLD FROM GA Grin

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/08/06 at 12:52:41

Had mine (my wife's, don't tell her I said that!) about two months/1300 miles (we bought her new). I hear that ticking too, but I set the valves, so I'm not worrying about it. I'd prefer them loose rather than tight.

Welcome aboard! Mac

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/08/06 at 20:03:55

welcome to the group!

sue

IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/08/06 at 20:09:27

Jerry:

Welcome to the group from Arkansas... 8)

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/08/06 at 22:19:20

Thanks for the "Welcome", all. I think I'll change out the oil and see if that makes any difference. The bike as been well maintained (the former owner used to take it yearly to the local Stealership) so maybe it's just my unfamiliarity with Savages. (I'm refering to the bike.... Although , come to think of it, I'm not too familiar with savage peoples either unless raising a teenaged daughter counts!) Funny thing about the gas savings... How am I supposed to save gas if I keep on coming up with stupid reasons to go ride it?!?! It's THAT fun!
I am SO itching to get into that carb! Got my S.E. muffler in the mail today, but I want to do the carb thing first. Question?: Are S.E. mufflers supposed to have two internal passages, one you can see all the way through, the other dark? It doesn't look like it's had internal surgery,(rammed out) so it's probably going to be LOUD.
Uh.oh! Heh,heh,heh!

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/09/06 at 00:13:51

Yes, it's me again running my yapper. I did a little research and found out that while I did get a S.E. muffler, it's for a RoadKing (a "Bagger?") and has a different mount than either the Dyna or the Sporty. It's still 1.75" on the inlet, but the mounts are about 6" rearward of the Suzi's bracket. I'll have to get a piece of flat stock and drill/modify it to extend the stock mount back a bit. Also- it's long. Depending on your taste you might not like it. It extends about 4-5" past the stock can ....really puts the rear brake linkage out of harm's way!
Mounting it doesn't seem to pose any big problem. I'm going to go ahead and try it, because A: It's mine now. and B: The thing retails for $120!! (mine was $19 inc shipping)
Google Search "Slash Down-Screamin’ Eagle® One Piece Performance Mufflers"... here is a direct link...
http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewiteminfo.asp?sku=64903%2D99&PID=exhaust&PIDN...

...hopefully that doesn't violate any rules or anything!
    Either way, I'll keep you folks up to date on it and I'll figure out how to post pix if it works.

IP Logged
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/10/06 at 02:38:16

JerryAssburger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Funny thing about the gas savings... How am I supposed to save gas if I keep on coming up with stupid reasons to go ride it?!?! It's THAT fun!

Cheesy

So true. I've had my '96 for just under two weeks now. I've spent more in gas in the past two weeks than any previous two weeks before getting the bike simply because I can't stay off the darn thing. I've been spending jsut about every waking, non-working moment on it. Haven't cut the grass in two weeks either. It's looking a little shaggy to say the least. Hope the neighbors don't mind... might be a little while yet before I get around to it!!! Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 06/10/06 at 09:25:49

One of the reasons I wanted the bike was that I was getting very resentful at paying $2 in gasoline to go get a $0.40 item from the store.

When you talk about gas savings you need to separate work and play.  We all must have playtime to maintain our sanity -- a simple fact of being human.  We will spend money on that play; hence the quote "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

Yesterday we spent 5p-1a at Disney's California Adventure -- at a cost of about $60 each.  Last month's Moonlight Run was 8p-7a (more time), more fun, and cost under $30.  

WWW   IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/10/06 at 10:31:26

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
When you talk about gas savings you need to separate work and play.  

Well said. Driving is really the only way to travel from city to city (at least here) and the cost to visit friends and family (some family anyway) is much less on the bike than in a car. Which means I can visit more often, or have more money left for other things.

IP Logged
cyclenut73
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/10/06 at 19:27:29

This forum rocks!  I've had my '04 for a little over a year now, done a few mods on her and wouldn't trade her for a big ol' coon dog Cheesy  (yes i'm from the south, originally)  Weather hasn't been very cooperative here in western ohio but you better believe that when it clears up i'm gonna ride the dog crap out of her (okay, at least ride a tank of gas out Grin....)

IP Logged
r80rt
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/11/06 at 05:05:16

Another welcome from Arkansas!

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.
  IP Logged
Spartan71
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/12/06 at 08:39:17

Welcome aboard from up in the Mitten State!   Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:25:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbies Unite Here!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.