Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
a very long trip (Read 15 times)
chriss

a very long trip
06/06/06 at 21:51:49

I just got home from a 5,000 mile one month long ride from portland oregon to julliet illinois on my 02 Savage. I covered 10 midwest states, some twice, and Id like to say the bike never skipped a beat and came home in better shape than me. My last days ride was from missoula montana thru idaho, washington and then home. 550 miles and 8 hrs of riding at 70 plus. For those of you that have not done something like this before, Id like to offer a little advice.
Stick to the major highways crossing the state. most are 65 and 70. the interstates are 75 and cars and trucks travel 85 to 90 Too fast for this small of bike and just about any bike for that matter! These roads just go on and on and it will wear you out.  I rode for hrs at 68 to 70 and this is a comfortable speed to travel long distances.
I began my trip with 10-40 wt oil and I found that using 20-50 made the bike run cooler and quieter.
Tighten everything down each night. If you dont things WILL fall off. Everything wil come loose.  Like my license plate did in wyoming. Blah!
Most midwest states seem to not have helmet laws and most dont wear them. I dont see how. At high speeds bugs and rocks hurt like hell  During thunderstorms with out a face shield your not going anywhere.
Do not begin a long trip on tires that are just ok. My front was new and my back was new last year but was worn bald by the time I got home . I had a flat way out in the middle of nowhere, and there is a lot of nowhere in the midwest. A trucker stopped and showed me a old trick that got me to a place I could get it fixed right. Carry some wood screws and a big can of tire inflator stuff. it works and you dont want to leave your bike alone 50 miles from nowhere
Do not stop where your alone on your bike. I found this out the hard way. A rest stop in Juliett Illinois. Pulled over to wait out a thunderstorm and was beat up and robbed of $400, my helmet, ripped my jacket, stole 2 nice cameras and cut my trip short.  Its hard to ride with one eye swollen shut.
The darn battery is a odd one.  you cant get one just anywhere. I had to get a jump every morning till I reached iowa and had to wait 3 days for a new one. Make sure yours is in good condition
Other than that I had a great time. I saw my rushmore, sturgess, wounded knee, custers battlefield, swam in the missippi and missourii rode thru the badlands of south dakota and was even chased by a buffalo in yellowstone.
One other bit of advice. know where you are. I pulled into a small town unknown to me as being on the crow reservation in montana. rented a room and  left as soon as happy hr was over and me being the only white guy began to look alot like custer to some of them. I just packed and left. Im going to post some pics as soon as I unwind
The bike gots lots of attention and good comments along the way. Ran like a clock.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: a very long trip
Reply #1 - 06/06/06 at 22:37:19

way kewl jr,

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 06/07/06 at 02:27:14

8)Wicked cool story man! I could picture it all in my head just like a movie!
Congrats on havin' a tale for the grandkids!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/07/06 at 03:45:30

Fine adventure! After a bit of rest it would be interesting to know what you would take along next time and what you wouldn't.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/07/06 at 07:17:50

Yup.  Lessons learned, both good and bad.  Very cool, bro.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #5 - 06/07/06 at 08:54:32

just wondering where julliet illinois is ??? or do mean jolliet ??? I live in centeral illinois and had not heard of julliet wanted to make sure I avoid it Grin

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/07/06 at 11:00:19

It really sounds like it was a great adventure.

Back in the 70s, I drove a car across Canada, and back through the US. I'd love to do it again, car or bike.

Don't know about Juliet, but isn't Joliet the home of Jake & Elwood, the Blues Brothers?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 06/07/06 at 13:36:01

Just Elwood, I believe.  Joliet was a prison in Illinois.  I think it's been closed for a few years now.

www.jolietprison.com/

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/07/06 at 14:26:30

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Just Elwood, I believe.  Joliet was a prison in Illinois.  I think it's been closed for a few years now.

www.jolietprison.com/

darn, now I'll have to watch it again.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #9 - 06/07/06 at 16:06:26

looking forward to the pics and further details. Did you wonder why they didn't steal the bike??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #10 - 06/07/06 at 18:10:59

Sounds like quite an adventurous trip!!!  Ticks me off that you got beaten up and robbed - that is nasty!!!  Why do people do such things???  Grr!

Glad that the bike held up!!!!

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/07/06 at 20:20:19

Glad you made it back. Too bad about that thief, there's some rotten people in the world. Will they let you carry a pistol legally in that part of the 'States?

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 06/07/06 at 20:33:39

Notch your battery box and you can run the most common bike battery in the world, the YB14L-A2. Lets the hose vent on the left side. $24.95 at Wallyworld, every real town has at least one of those stores (and more is the pity, I LOATHE that chain). I buy the CB14L-A2 version for mine, lasted 8 months without starting and fired off on the first try.

Sounds like a decent trip other then getting your stuff jacked. Wish my back was up for it. 20 miles at a stretch on mine is it.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 06/08/06 at 07:59:59

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Glad you made it back. Too bad about that thief, there's some rotten people in the world. Will they let you carry a pistol legally in that part of the 'States?

No, Illinois does not allow concealed carry, and the closer you get to Chicago the more law enforcement/politicians try to enforce a ban on firearms (which doesn't legally exist, but the hassle just isn't worth it). Angry

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #14 - 06/08/06 at 09:59:48

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
No, Illinois does not allow concealed carry(

Would you be able to carry a gun in the open, then? Like in the Old West, with a belt and a pouch on your thigh?  8)

At least, it would not be concealed, right?  Wink  

And just think on what kind of looks you will get from others if you go into a store or gas station...  Grin

RW

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:28:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › a very long trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.