speedometer swap/mod (Read 15 times)
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

speedometer swap/mod
06/05/06 at 07:15:51

now that i'm not mad at the suzuki anymore, i want to move the speedo to the handlebars, and perhaps add a tach. i have seen savage librarians speedo mod (i like it!)  here's the questions, what drive ratio speedo is needed to drive off the trans? and has any body adapted a front wheel driven speedo?

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Re: speedometer swap/mod
Reply #1 - 06/05/06 at 12:26:40

The speedometer I've been using was fairly cheap from JCWhitney.  $30 or so, I think.  I honestly don't know any of the ratios or really much of the technical side of things.  I tend to be a bit of a hack.  The reason I ended up mounting mine on the side of the tank is that it's the only place I could stick it where I could read it and that the cable would reach to.

I have considered swapping out for a wheel driven speedometer.  I think the front wheel, brake, speedometer, etc. off a Honda VLX would be a direct swap.  Note:  I said THINK.  The wheel is the same size and dimensions as on the Savage.  I spent some time looking over my dad's and comparing it to mine, and I think it would work.  That would make it a bit easier to wire everything up, as cables can be had for that particular speedometer setup fairly easily.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 06/05/06 at 14:07:05

so does your speedo read accurately? or is it just a legal appearing appliance? Roll Eyes

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #3 - 06/05/06 at 16:32:57

Yup, the speedometer reads accurately.  

Everything on Mr. Hyde is legal, with the possible exception of the apehangers.  It sort of depends on how you interpret the law as to the legality of them...they're borderline.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/06/06 at 16:42:37

My 98 is 100% illegal for highway operatoin, and hasn't gotten a ticket yet. Been pulled over lots of times, but only because the officer couldn't figure out what the bike was... Grin

If you aren't acting like a squid, they let you get away with a lot. At least where I live and work. Of course, it might help that all the motor officers in the area buy parts for their civilian bikes from me... ???
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 06/07/06 at 01:52:32

Found this on a German webshop.

http://www.louis.de/?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10034796

Electronic tachometer. Works with 3 magnets on the brake rotor and a reedswitch counting the pulses.
Kinda expensive 169 Euros ( 214 USD ). Bet something similar can be bought in the US.

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/07/06 at 06:08:40

I you are considering spending that much for a speedo & or tach then consider the Veypor.  It is only $279 and beside the speedo and tach there are a host of other functions on it, including the dyno.  
I have sold about 5 in the past few months and every one have been extremely pleased with it.

The most recent performance runs on mine have shown a consistent 39-40 hp at the rear wheel...I am finally getting the jetting worked out on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:28:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › speedometer swap/mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.