Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jardine pipe and rejetting; is it worth it? (Read 5 times)
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Jardine pipe and rejetting; is it worth it?
06/04/06 at 19:21:13

Just curious if there is much difference in speed and peformance if I installed a jardine pipe and rejet? Is it worth the cost of everything? Keep in mind this is my first bike, and dont know how long i will keep it for.  If you guys think it is worth it. Could you direct to some places with low prices on the pipes and jet set, and possibly on somewhere to get cheap installation? (I would do it myself, but ive heard its kinda tough)

any input is much appreciated

thanks Cheesy

jon chicago

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Jardine pipe and rejetting; is it worth it?
Reply #1 - 06/05/06 at 06:55:42

if the bike is running well for you, then ride it as is. at some point, your skills as a rider, need for thrills, or desire for something more, will exceed the bikes current ability, then you'll need to make a decision, either perk this bike up or step up to more bike. "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #2 - 06/05/06 at 07:55:18

I went with a Jardine and a lancer carb. but at the same time my bike was gave to me from my mom and I plan on keeping it and mayhap pass it down to one of my boys. Grin

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/05/06 at 08:17:36

pretty much if you open up the air flow on any stock bike, you will see an improvement.  If you are going to ad a real exhaust pipe and rejet, you might as well modify the air intake too.  You will feel the improvement.  But yeah, you don't want a bike that's faster than your skill level.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/05/06 at 09:11:40

The Savage is lean to begin with, so I would not start by opening up the airflow.  You'll make the condition worse.

I would at least do the spacer mod and tune the carb starting with the pilot circuit.  That'll smooth out the mixture you have with your current airflow.  If you're happy there, stop.

If you want to go further, jets are about $3 - $4 each and the muffler would be your main expense, followed by a freer-flowing air filter.  You could even experiment with a slightly larger main jet with the stock exhaust and air filter and see what you get.  It's cheap and easy.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/05/06 at 14:51:23

I am very interested in the Jardine pipe...my pipe is already yellowing after only 700 miles and I have seen pics where the pipe is all black and looks great...what type of pipe is this...thanx for your info... 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/05/06 at 15:01:04

Pretty much all pipes and mufflers will blue to some extent...  except maybe some double-walled or ceramic coated varieties.  To my knowledge, all of the blackened ones I've seen on this site have been painted.  I used a high temp header paint from Autozone but others have use BBQ black which seems to be just as good and cheaper.  I just didn't think of it.  I plan to have my header ceramic coated and possibly a muffler too, once I settle on the one I like the sound of best.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/05/06 at 15:03:01

Are the pipes that appear to be wrapped also painted or is this something different...sorry for my lack of knowledge...thank you

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 06/05/06 at 15:07:19

That is header wrap.  I didn't care for it because it stinks when it gets wet and steams off as well as the fact that it retains more heat and passes it along to the muffler.  In fact, that's why I first blackened my header and muffler.  Before the wrap, my muffler was nice chrome and my header has stabilized at a honey color.  When I began running with the wrap, my muffler began to blue badly.  I took the wrap off and the header was deep blue and purple.

Oh, and you usually use a silicone sealant for the wrap that lessens the amount of water it absorbs but not enough.

divecop
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/05/06 at 15:15:46

OK...so I don't like the honey color on the header, how can i get it back to the white shiny color....cause i don't want to use the wrap and then have my muffler change colors...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 06/05/06 at 15:53:38

http://www.blue-job.com/

...and a fair amount of elbow grease...

This will be an ongoing battle and remember not to leave skin oils on the chrome.  Getting both your header and muffler ceramic coated could negate the need but it won't be a true chrome look either... more of a bright aluminum look I think.  Or you could ceramic coat the header and buy a high quality double-walled muffler if yours begins to discolor.

divecop
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/05/06 at 16:06:00

Thanx Rob for all your help...

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 06/05/06 at 17:16:48

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The Savage is lean to begin with, so I would not start by opening up the airflow.  You'll make the condition worse.

Definitely didn't mean to imply that he shouldn't rejet...

pipe(s) & air go hand in hand w/ rejetting.  Gotta do both at the same time!

IP Logged
chris.heff
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/06/06 at 05:39:00

I bought a '96 savage last year with 3100 miles on it.  It would barely get to 80mph.  I did a stage 1 on the bike, rejetting carb, k&n air filter, jardine pipe, and she rocks.  It gets up to 80mph in no time compared to before.  Sounds great, runs great, it acts like I've got a different engine in it than before.  Highly recommended.

IP Logged
nelster66

jardine users-need help
Reply #14 - 06/10/06 at 19:49:30

I'm having problems installing the jardine muffler with the spacer... I'm sure many of you have experienced this, so please share what you did to resolve it outside of taking it to a muffler shop in order to increase the ID size.  Are there different size "spacers" out there?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:23:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine pipe and rejetting; is it worth it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.