Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
UFO...Ultimate Flow Optimizer (Read 1869 times)
wordet11

Athens, Ohio
Re: UFO...Ultimate Flow Optimizer
Reply #15 - 09/24/17 at 11:46:45

Considering doing this to my VM36. Did you fellas ever figure out the proper jetting with the UFO installed?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 09/24/17 at 18:35:46

Wordet11, To start whatever you have for pilot cut that in half. Mine was a 20 so I am using a 10. You can buy them on eBay. I am still messin with it but I will wind up with a 10 or a 12.5 but my carb also has a quad wing and a Intelajet. I would recommend the Quad wing as well. And skip the Dialajet , just spend the extra $ and get the Intelajet it's much easier to adjust ! All 3 really gives it a good punch. I had to dremel the UFO so I could get the throttle cable in & out easily,once it's ready and fitted to your slide I used some gel superglue installed it quickly and put the screw in it,
Superglue is gasoline resistant some added security to keep it in place !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
wordet11

Athens, Ohio
Reply #17 - 09/24/17 at 18:47:56

Thanks for the quick reply.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 09/24/17 at 19:04:10

Follow instructions it's easy and you can always call Thunder Products to ask question he is glad to help !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #19 - 01/27/18 at 05:33:24

What shape of UFOs are you running? I have a slide stamped 2.5, and UFOs vary in shapes from 2.0 to 3.5. I now have a 2.5 in there, can’t check how it runs just yet.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 02/06/18 at 21:47:00

kojones wrote on 01/27/18 at 05:33:24:
What shape of UFOs are you running? I have a slide stamped 2.5, and UFOs vary in shapes from 2.0 to 3.5. I now have a 2.5 in there, can’t check how it runs just yet.

It does not go by that number.
The UFO's are sized for a particular slide type.  For most VM carbs, it is for a 38mm or a 36mm (2 types for this one depending on whether it is a snowmobile or a motorcycle 36mm), 34mm, 32mm etc.  
So for the 38mm there is one size, and for the 36mm there are two but we use just one of those since we use the 36mm made for motorcycles.
When the UFO is installed the cut-a-way is carefully ground down to match the shape of the UFO, and that just on the intake side of the slide, the back side is not touched.
I also drill a small hole in the hood of the needle jet, that part that sticks up in the carb throat, to help effectively lean the pilot system.  When using a UFO the air flow in the throat of the carb is increased so much that much more fuel is pulled up, and that is even after reducing the size of the pilot by about half of what is used in the carb without the UFO.  So  leaning is necessary.  
This effect of the UFO, this tremendous increase in efficiency most notably in the low-mid range, is why/how  it can increase power by as much as 1hp/100cc of engine volume, and with a 650cc engine that makes it about a 6hp gain.  
The BEST BANG FOR YOU BUCK anywhere.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #21 - 02/07/18 at 14:03:57

LANCER wrote on 02/06/18 at 21:47:00:

It does not go by that number.
The UFO's are sized for a particular slide type.  For most VM carbs, it is for a 38mm or a 36mm (2 types for this one depending on whether it is a snowmobile or a motorcycle 36mm), 34mm, 32mm etc.  
So for the 38mm there is one size, and for the 36mm there are two but we use just one of those since we use the 36mm made for motorcycles.
When the UFO is installed the cut-a-way is carefully ground down to match the shape of the UFO, and that just on the intake side of the slide, the back side is not touched.
I also drill a small hole in the hood of the needle jet, that part that sticks up in the carb throat, to help effectively lean the pilot system.  When using a UFO the air flow in the throat of the carb is increased so much that much more fuel is pulled up, and that is even after reducing the size of the pilot by about half of what is used in the carb without the UFO.  So  leaning is necessary.  
This effect of the UFO, this tremendous increase in efficiency most notably in the low-mid range, is why/how  it can increase power by as much as 1hp/100cc of engine volume, and with a 650cc engine that makes it about a 6hp gain.  
The BEST BANG FOR YOU BUCK anywhere.

Well I have five different sizes in my garage right now. One 3638 / 3.5, which I ordered by mistake and is 1mm too large in diameter for the VM36  Cheesy

Then I bought a 3600-2 set from eBay, which has two of every shape, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5, maybe one more. I think that number is the profile of the UFO matching the similar slide cutaway.

AFAIK the 3.5 is the recommended shape in most cases, but some review said that one size larger than the slide is the way to go to keep the fuel consumption low. With the 2.5 slide it would be 3.0.

It seems like I was on to something here https://www.howtomotorcyclerepair.com/how-to-tune-throttle-valve-cutaway/

Think I'll have to experiment a bit  Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 02/15/18 at 12:39:27

Did you get your UFO's from Thunder Products ?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 02/17/18 at 08:41:51

Had same issue with it seating. I rounded the edge of UFO that goes into slide. Also had to deepen pocket where cable end is was very difficult to get cable in and also shortened able end too. If it's not seating your counter sink may be too deep , just adjust screw length. I also glued puck in place when I was sure it was right. Be sure to use a gas resistant glue or adhesive. A single screw kinda makes me nervous.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #24 - 02/17/18 at 09:28:47

My VM 36 has the UFO, Quad wingy thingy & Intelajet. It really gets up and goes ,still sorting out a off idle stumble/lag. I figure at least a 8 H/P bump with screamin midrange. Really shines on the twistiestwisties then when the road straightens out , I just tuck in and I'm gone ! The kind of bike that just makes you grin and grin the rest of the day as that ride plays over & over in your head.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #25 - 02/23/18 at 10:38:59

LANCER wrote on 02/15/18 at 12:39:27:

Did you get your UFO's from Thunder Products ?

It was some private seller on ebay, had two 3600-2 sets. I bought a 3.0 profiled slide, going to use a 3.5 UFO with it. I think that's a good starting point.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #26 - 04/27/18 at 09:04:51

Got my bike running, thought it was running rich as it didn't pull smoothly when cruising and hesitated heavily when twisting the throttle, but lifting the needle one slot cured most of it. Still hesitates a little just off the idle, how did you cure that? Running a 3.0 slide with a 3.5 UFO. Maybe I should try the 2.5 slide with a 3.0 UFO?

OK, found this: http://3cyl.com/mraxl/ufo/ufo.htm

"*Addition of UFOs into a VM really re-writes the tuning rules. One such thing is the pilot circuit. As such if an air screw is set to give the normal "highest idle" (provided the pilot jet is approximately the right size) the immediate off idle throttle response will be lethargic, possibly making the bike hard to launch at 1500/2000 rpms off the line in traffic."

Update on my progress, I did drill a 2 mm air bleed hole to the needle jet nozzle and largened the hole in the middle of the UFO to 8 mm. Pilot soldered shut. Now I can adjust the idle mixture with the air screw, we’ll see how it runs. Needle back to 2nd slot from the top.

« Last Edit: 04/29/18 at 05:03:46 by kojones »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 04/29/18 at 18:06:33

3.5 UFO and I just filed my 2.5 slide to match UFO. I had a middleman get everything from Thunder cause he can't ship to CA due to regulations here. I have the same off idle cough/fart before it takes off. My tank still with my painter so it will be awhile before I can get back to tuning. Very interested to see if you fixed the issue. I guess I could solder up the pilot. Did you solder all the holes or just the center hole ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #28 - 05/07/18 at 13:25:14

Ruttly wrote on 04/29/18 at 18:06:33:
3.5 UFO and I just filed my 2.5 slide to match UFO. I had a middleman get everything from Thunder cause he can't ship to CA due to regulations here. I have the same off idle cough/fart before it takes off. My tank still with my painter so it will be awhile before I can get back to tuning. Very interested to see if you fixed the issue. I guess I could solder up the pilot. Did you solder all the holes or just the center hole ?

I think I soldered all the holes shut.

Mine runs very well now with just a small hesitation sometimes, requires a really tight grip of the bars  Grin
Current setup is 2mm hole in needle jet hood, 8mm hole in the UFO and needle in the middle slot. Think I'll have to test and lift the needle one slot higher since my mileage is 56 mpg and that seems way too high  Shocked

Update on my setup, I replaced the needle jet with a new one without drilling any holes, needle clip on the fourth slot. Runs very well, but I will try to lift the needle. 54 mpg.

« Last Edit: 06/14/18 at 09:54:08 by kojones »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 02:49:08

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › UFO...Ultimate Flow Optimizer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.