Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
You think I can drill a dyna? (Read 3 times)
HotCarl
Ex Member

You think I can drill a dyna?
06/01/06 at 19:55:22

Okay, so I've tried 4 different mufflers on my bike and I still can't get the sound I want.

The stock muffler sounds like a sewing machine.

I tried a supertrapp slip-on but it was too raspy

I tried a hollowed out sportster muffler (no baffle) and it sounded perfect, but way too loud.

I now have a stock dyna muffler, but only sounds marginally better than the sewing machine and it chokes off power unlike the hollowed sportster.

I really love the low rumble and thump of the hollowed sporty muffler, but I commute on it and the volume gets annoying. So, ideally I would love the sound and power of the hollowed sportster, but at about half the volume. Am I S.O.L.?

I was thinking of drilling a 3/4 inch hole through the baffle in the dyna (which actually mounts alot better than the sportster, too) to see if that would open up the volume and power. Any opinions?

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: You think I can drill a dyna?
Reply #1 - 06/01/06 at 20:03:28

Quote:
I really love the low rumble and thump of the hollowed sporty muffler, but I commute on it and the volume gets annoying. So, ideally I would love the sound and power of the hollowed sportster, but at about half the volume.

Get a longer pipe and move the end of the pipe out past the wheel. Something like WD's fishtail.

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 06/01/06 at 21:18:17

we really like the sound of the 17" straight through dyna glass pack on debby's bike. it is only loud when you twist the throttle in an agressive manner. a little discression with the right wrist, can go a long way for good manners and acceptable DB levels.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/01/06 at 21:40:37

So the longer (fishtail) pipe won't be as loud because it's longer, or just because it is behind me and I can't hear it as well?

A "straight through dyna glasspack"? Is that just a hollowed out dyna muffler?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 06/02/06 at 07:08:35

HotCarl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:

it is not modified, it is probably custom chrome or drag specialties after market slip-on, i dug it out of the metal recycle bin, in back of the harley shop, it was probably scratched or something silly like that.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #5 - 06/02/06 at 14:56:55

HotCarl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
So the longer (fishtail) pipe won't be as loud because it's longer, or just because it is behind me and I can't hear it as well?

The longer pipe will put the sound further behind you. Still loud just not so much for you. Fishtail tip optional. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #6 - 06/02/06 at 18:39:22

I tried drilling, but got frustrated and punched a hole in the baffle instead. It's perfect (to me). Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/02/06 at 18:48:40

How did you punch the hole? did it make the sound louder? Richer? by how much would you guess on a 1-10 scale: If the stock dyna muffler is a 2, and straight pipe 10

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #8 - 06/03/06 at 07:09:37

Used a long drill bit. About twelve inches long. It would not drill through the baffle, so I used a hammmer and the drill bit and drove it through.  A 5 or 6or 7 on the loudness scale. I get compliments on the sound from riders of various bikes.
Running a 155 main, 2 #4washers, and a free flowing air filter. Runs well, sounds swell.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:28:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › You think I can drill a dyna?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.