Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Got New job, need suggestions for readying savage! (Read 2 times)
savagespencer
Ex Member

Got New job, need suggestions for readying savage!
05/31/06 at 13:26:18

Well I just got hired for a Financial Rep job and I have to wear a suit and a tie!  Angry  
I currently work an outside job (land surveying) and have no problem commuting in my work clothes.  However, I can't wear my suit on my bike because it may get dirty and other crappy stuff like rain.

So, what I'm thinking is I need some saddle bags.  Does anyone know of a product made for transporting suits on a bike?  Like something to roll it up in, without folding or wrinkling it, and is water tight?  
I plan on riding to work and then changing into my suit in the bathroom.  

Help please!

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Re: Got New job, need suggestions for readying sav
Reply #1 - 05/31/06 at 13:37:05

I regularly wear slacks, collar, and tie to work.  I've found a couple ways that work for me.  One is to get LINED chaps to wear over the slacks.  And then I wear an oversized leather or mesh jacket over the coat.  I've also neatly rolled suits in garment bags, neatly put the garment bag inside a plastic bag, and neatly bungeed it to the rear seat.  I've also carried a coat just tossed in the saddlebags a few times.  

I can't help you too much with the coat, but I've never had any problems with wearing chaps or leathers over my nicely pressed pants.  And people always give you a nice doubletake when they see you ride up through the window, and then walk in wearing pinstripes.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 05/31/06 at 13:53:42

light weight coveralls??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
savagespencer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/31/06 at 14:01:32

Thanks thumperclone and savage librarian.  

What kind of chaps are you talking about librarian?  Leather? Is it too hot?
 I'm in Florida and it's really hot, don't want to pull up to new job being sweaty and stinky.  

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 05/31/06 at 14:44:26

Hi- haven't found a great solution yet, am looking a a lightweigt rain jacket and pants set, except they are yellow and black and I don't really want to be a bee. Cheesy

IP Logged
MISS_SALLY
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/31/06 at 15:07:51

I saw this suit in a motorcycle magazine not too long ago.
What it really looked like were nylon (warm up) pants
that snaps on the outside of the leg. They snap from the waist to the ankle.
When my son played basket ball he wore them on top of his uniform.
I have seen them lined and unlined. I would buy at least one size larger to keep the wrinkles down.
Just a suggestion Smiley

IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/31/06 at 16:07:51

I guess just leaving the suit hanging at work and changing when you get there isn't an option? Some people I work with do that.

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/31/06 at 16:10:23

Will you have a place you can change into your suit when you arrive at work? We're tie/coatless at work, but if we're going to meet with a customer, we keep a coat and tie on a hanger in our offices. You could ride four days a week and do a laundry run on the fifth day.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #8 - 05/31/06 at 19:46:36

savagespencer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
What kind of chaps are you talking about librarian?  Leather? Is it too hot?
 I'm in Florida and it's really hot, don't want to pull up to new job being sweaty and stinky.  

I have a set I picked up fairly cheap at leatherup.com.  Not as high quality as some others...but at a fraction of the price.  I know what you mean about the heat...I'm just south of Houston and we definately feel it here.  But I haven't found the heat to be unbearable.  I've used the chaps/jacket combo over suits before to get me to a church where I was to be preaching, and unless they see me on the the bike, no one notices any difference.

Another option you might consider is stopping by a surplus store and picking up a military flight suit to wear over everything.  Those breathe fairly well when actually going, and the nomex keeps em from melting onto the pipe as easily as, say, PVC rain suit pants or something.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 05/31/06 at 20:57:25

buy an old volkswagen Wink sorry, thats one of our other passions Grin

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 06/01/06 at 06:29:27

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
buy an old volkswagen Wink sorry, thats one of our other passions Grin

Well, you are consistent.  I think of Savages as the VWs of motorcycles.  Single-cylinder, carbureted, air-cooled, belt-driven... If it had points and a condenser, it'd be about as simple as it could get.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/01/06 at 11:38:03

I wear shorts and sandals in my store, but I ride wearing jeans & boots. I just change at the store.

IP Logged
Kev95GS
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/02/06 at 12:42:47

I'm considering one of these.  Not cheap but very functional for all types of riding.

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16133&cat=248&page=1

Kevin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 06/02/06 at 16:27:55

savagespencer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Well I just got hired for a Financial Rep job and I have to wear a suit and a tie!  Angry  
I currently work an outside job (land surveying) and have no problem commuting in my work clothes.  However, I can't wear my suit on my bike because it may get dirty and other crappy stuff like rain.

So, what I'm thinking is I need some saddle bags.  Does anyone know of a product made for transporting suits on a bike?  Like something to roll it up in, without folding or wrinkling it, and is water tight?  
I plan on riding to work and then changing into my suit in the bathroom.  

Help please!

This has been suggested in the past when this question has been asked.  I've never seen the product in person but it is an option.

Garment Bag Panniers

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:41:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got New job, need suggestions for readying savage!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.