Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 easy chair (Read 8 times)
taylorkh
Ex Member

S40 easy chair
05/29/06 at 10:16:00

Well, it is finally adjusted to my liking (thus a few extra screw holes) but here is my JC Whitney small econo-trunk and Advance Auto lumbar pad installed on the '06.  My home made mounting frame is 1 1/2" x 1/8" 304 stainless and will no doubt last longer than the trunk and probably the S40  Grin but at least it wil not rust.  I may paint it black to be less conspicuous (unless I get inspired to polish it.)  I may also remove the red (not) reflective trim and put some reflector tape in its place.  So, here goes - my first attempt at a picture post.

Ken

p.s. The picture got somewhat squashed on bikepics or perhaps when I inserted it here???  That is a 1980 MGB hiding under the cover behind the bike  Smiley

p.p.s If you can figure out how to access the picture on bikepics it looks a lot better.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: S40 easy chair
Reply #1 - 05/29/06 at 10:52:57

Not what I'd do, but nice work!  Savages are so darn cool and versatile!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 05/29/06 at 14:55:51

taylorkh wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Well, it is finally adjusted to my liking (thus a few extra screw holes) but here is my JC Whitney small econo-trunk and Advance Auto lumbar pad installed on the '06.  My home made mounting frame is 1 1/2" x 1/8" 304 stainless and will no doubt last longer than the trunk and probably the S40  Grin but at least it wil not rust.  I may paint it black to be less conspicuous (unless I get inspired to polish it.)  I may also remove the red (not) reflective trim and put some reflector tape in its place.  So, here goes - my first attempt at a picture post.

Ken

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006%5C05%5C29%5Cbikepics-598185-320.jpg

p.s. The picture got somewhat squashed on bikepics or perhaps when I inserted it here???  That is a 1980 MGB hiding under the cover behind the bike  Smiley

p.p.s If you can figure out how to access the picture on bikepics it looks a lot better.

is that a webber smoky joe bbq  attached to the back.  Shocked Grin Grin Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #3 - 05/29/06 at 15:45:19

Do you have a bad back?? I take it this is a commuter bike and you have something specific you need to haul around.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
taylorkh
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/29/06 at 17:31:52

Thanks for the replies.  It does look like a Webber doesn't it? As far as the attachment goes... I had originally planned to attach to the two bolts at the front of the grab handles (or whatever they are properly called) and the back of seat hold down bolt.  Just didn't work out. As I was not able to find anything better to attach to I made my own attachment holes.

It is a commuter bike - and a toy.  I found that carrying a bunch of stuff in a back pack basically sucks.  The S40 is a nice bike but it does not even have a document pouch under the seat.  No place even to carry a pen.  

On my first bike, a 1979 Honda Twinstar 185 I had 2 Montgomery Ward hard saddle bags which let me carry a reasonable amount of cargo.  I traded it in on a 1981 CM400 custom and added 2 Krauser (made bags for BMW) LARGE saddle bags and never wanted for cargo space if and when I needed it.  These days it is hard to find A) any motorcycle which does not look like a Harley wannabe B) hard saddle bags other than custom fit for Gold Wings, Electraglides and other 2 wheeled land barges.  End of rant  Wink

As to my back, it would be bad before long if I lean on the "back rest pad" which JCW attached to their trunk. It is harder than the ABS of which the trunk is constructed.

Ken

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 05/29/06 at 17:35:06

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Do you have a bad back?? I take it this is a commuter bike and you have something specific you need to haul around.

Enjoy yopur long ride. Letr me know if I can help.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 05/29/06 at 18:48:45

Nice job, though I personally think it would look better if the trunk wasn't so high up.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
taylorkh
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/30/06 at 05:36:34

I don't like the trunk so high up either.  However, unless or until I put a single seat on the bike, the trunk is sort of stuck where it is (unless I add a luggage rack behind the pillion seat and put it there which might look even worse.)

Ken

IP Logged
MISS_SALLY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/30/06 at 06:05:33

Taylorkh My vote is to paint the mounting frame black

I looked at the trunks But I still need more room for the groceries Cage will still have to help in that errand

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 05/30/06 at 06:21:29

taylorkh wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I don't like the trunk so high up either.  However, unless or until I put a single seat on the bike, the trunk is sort of stuck where it is (unless I add a luggage rack behind the pillion seat and put it there which might look even worse.)

Ken

Just to give you an idea, this is how mine looked when I had a trunk behind the sissybar.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
taylorkh
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/30/06 at 06:33:20

Thanks!  The trunk behind the seat does not look bad at all.  Very nice.

Ken

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 06:55:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 easy chair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.