Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Petc0ck question (Read 2 times)
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Petc0ck question
05/29/06 at 03:10:29

'96 model here. Just bought this bike and also just found this forum as indicated in another of my posts. So you may find me asking quite a few minor and seemingly dumb questions. Hope y'all don't mind. ??? Grin

Anyway, the petcock is in the down position (arrow pointing down). It seems to be locked in this position as I cannot turn it left or right. I'm assuming that Suzuki locked it in this position for some reason but can't figure out for the life of me why. If the petc0ck is locked in the down position, will both the main and reserve fuel tanks work without having to turn the petc0ck or, if the main section of the tank runs dry, do I have to find a way to turn the petc0ck left or rigth in order for the fuel in the reserve to flow???

Thought I'd ask before I actually press my luck and run the main portion of the tank dry!!! Wink

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Petc0ck question
Reply #1 - 05/29/06 at 04:12:56

No, your petc0ck should not be locked in the down position. There are 3 positions. On (down) - leave it here all the time. It turns on automatically when there is vacuum supplied by the engine. Reserve - use this position when you begin to run out of gas on the main tank. Prime - always on. Use this position when your carb bowl has been emptied for any reason (running out of gas or carb work) to refill the bowl. Don't leave it in Prime. If your float needle should leak, your crankcase will fill with fuel.

It sounds like your petc0ck is gunked up  :'( Gasoline begins  to turn to varnish when it sits for a few months.

IP Logged
Jagndeke
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/29/06 at 04:19:52

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
It sounds like your petc0ck is gunked up  :'( Gasoline begins  to turn to varnish when it sits for a few months.

Thanks DB. Well, that bites. It's locked solid in the down position. No matter how much force I apply (within reason... don't wanna snap it off) it doesn't budge. I tried pushing in and twisting, pulling out and twisting (thought it might have some kind of lock thingy) it just won't budge.

Hopefully that carb cleaner I talked about in another thread will loosen it up. If not, guess I'll need to get a new petc0ck?? Or never run the main dry if I don't!!!

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 05/29/06 at 04:26:31

No need to push it in or pull it out. Just turn it. If it were me, I'd remove it (easy job) and have a look. If it's varnished it will be apparent. When it's out spray it liberally with some Gumout carb cleaner and you should get it loose. Make sure you get the lines back on correctly.

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #4 - 05/29/06 at 10:01:47

You may have to remove the whole tank to get to it, which doesn't amount to much.  Once you remove the seat, carb hoses,  and the two bolts holding the tank on, just pull the back of the tank up and to the left.  First time I removed my tank, I was afraid to pull too hard on it but that is what it takes.

Buy a new o-ring for the petc0ck before putting it back on or it will probably leak.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:34:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petc0ck question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.