Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handlebar grips (Read 90 times)
Jim Rousselle

Handlebar grips
05/28/06 at 17:58:52

My wife finds that the bars buzz too much at highway speeds. I want to change the grips.

1) how do you get the stock grips off? My Intruder has a screw in the bar end weight. The Savage doesn't. Do you just unscrew the ends? If so, right hand thread or left hand thread? What do use so you wont chew up the chrome with your pliers etc?

2) do I need a specific type of grip. It looks like the part that the throttle cables attach to is part of the grip.

3) can anybody recommend a specific brand that eliminates or reduces the vibration?

Thanks, Jim

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Handlebar grips
Reply #1 - 05/28/06 at 18:32:01

To remove the old ones- just slise them with a razor blade /but first make sure You have the new ones/
When buying, the only reqirement is - 1" bars / like the most of HD's and Kaw Vulcan/
About the brand- matter of prefference, but so far everybody, who installed them, likes the Kurikian.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/28/06 at 19:04:30

I used a long, thin flat blade screwdriver and wiggled it around and the entire grip slid right off.

As far as I'm concerned, it's hard to beat Kuryakyn grips for decreasing vibration.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/28/06 at 19:05:52

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I used a long, thin flat blade screwdriver and wiggled it around and the entire grip slid right off.

As far as I'm concerned, it's hard to beat Kuryakyn grips for decreasing vibration.

Do a search on Kuryakyn ISO grips and you'll find all the information you need on grip replacement.  Also, I provided a link to a video showing how to remove/replace grips that should be a help to you.  I think it is in the Tech Section.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 05/28/06 at 19:13:48

End caps are retained by a press fit. You won't be using them with the new grips but try not to ruin them as some folks may want them if they drop the bike and only need to replace that part. Bar has a weight pressed(forced) into it. I do not think it is easily removed, nor would one want to. I went to Kuryakan Universal grips for the increased diameter, not becasue of vibration concerns. If you have bar vibration, consider front tire balance/re-balance, low oil level in front forks, or the engine mounting bolts are loose. All of which can cause a vibration felt in the handle bars.  My 96 doesn't vibrate, but my B-i-L's 87 does, but we noticed a left fork seal leaks after the last ride (so presume the oil level is low) and I don't see any balance weights on the front tire. Need to sort it out as soon as we get done haying. There are some good discussions on the forum on changing the grips. Search (extend the search days way out)  for gripping? and other key words. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/28/06 at 20:13:27

911radioman:  The videos were great and very helpful...something i had thought about doing you have made much easier...thank you so much... 8)

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/28/06 at 21:40:54

Kuryakyn grips 6240

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2925

I got Stiletto™ End Caps for ISO-Grips.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2924

i was going to buy this helmet lock for it before I bought the endcaps.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=3536

ALso check out the throttle boss.  Its like a cruise control but u rest the side of ur hand on the throttle lever to let ur hand rest over long distances if ur hand gets tired.  

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2923[url][/url]

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:24:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebar grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.